Honduran Enchiladas and Is Really Bitter Better?
I am fortunate to live in a town with a lot of diversity. There is a meat packing plant that hires people from all over the world to work there and with them they also bring their culture which shows up in restaurants that pop up around town. Most are short lived but we try to enjoy them while they are around.
The original immigrants were from Mexico and Latin America but later they came from French Guiana, Africa then from the Chuuk Islands in the Pacific and now it seems back to Africa again. Most of the original Mexicans that were hired have moved on to other plants out west but many remained behind. They were a mix of family that came with them and didn't leave with them to the new places, those that developed too deep of roots to move and some that are undocumented and have no real place to go. The Chuuks are still too new to have made inroads into the restaurant business yet but the Hispanics and the Africans both left a bunch of them.
Besides the traditional Mexican cuisine, there is a restaurant featuring Guatemalan recipes and another featuring El Salvadorian recipes. Both are still excellent places to eat at and when we go out perhaps once a month to eat, we sometimes end up at one of them. This spring, a new cuisine, this one from Honduras opened up and we ate there soon after. It was quite delicious and different than the other hispanic menus we've ordered from. So seeing that it has been nearly six months since, we decided to go back for a second time.
Above are the Honduran enchiladas that I ordered which look or tasted nothing like the Mexican enchiladas that are everywhere. They were quite tasty and had me wondering why I don't eat out more often. I always have to remind myself that it just isn't healthy nor is it very economical since a meal for five of us cost as much as a typical week's worth of groceries.
Our bitter gourd crop this year has a bit mystified. We have raised them many times in the past but this year, we seem to have a hard time getting them to fully ripen. They start off yellowish as the one above but don't turn darker green as expected. This one, the largest one which we have been waiting for it to turn color, actually split open one night to scatter it's seeds. So we've been picking them while they are smaller and still a lighter green. My wife says they are okay that way but very bitter. My not liking bitter things shies away from them for the most part except for a taste here and there. I can't help but think though that if you are raising bitter gourd, isn't really bitter better?
We aren’t very adventurous eaters … or should I say that I’m not. John is willing to try different things.
ReplyDeleteMy motto with food is, "Columbus took a chance." Basically, I'll try anything at least once though there are things that I have tried that I prefer not to have to eat again.
DeleteI may have said this before, but my Vietnamese neighbor across the street grows bitter melon. I never have because I somehow don't think I'd like something with 'bitter' in the name. I do know that bitter is supposed to be excellent for liver health, so my nod to it is with wild lettuce and dandelion leaves in my salads.
ReplyDeleteThey enchiladas look fantastic. The price of eating out is mostly out of our budget range now, so we rarely do it.
Filipinos mostly cook it as a vegetable in what I would call a stew served over rice. It isn't too bad that way and has a slight bitter taste but it terrible texture wise. Basically a mush. Once a few years ago, I pickled some of the extras and they turned out decent though I would rather have a good pickled okra over it and we have lots of okra.
DeleteWe rarely eat out too though the reason is health related more than financially.
Those Honduran enchiladas sound delicious, so nice that your town has so many different cuisines! And your bitter gourd adventure is funny, I think "really bitter is better" holds true for that dish.
ReplyDeleteI like how bitter and better roll off my tongue.
DeleteMany people lump all the cuisines from Spanish speaking cultures together yet they're so unique. What a great opportunity to sample several of them! I remember when I went to Spain that some friends thought I would be eating tacos and enchiladas. LOL
ReplyDeleteI used to be one of those people! But as I have gone into various latin American restaurants, they are all very proud of their cuisine being so much better than Mexican and I have never had a unpleasant dish.
DeleteThat is a good looking plate of food!!
ReplyDeleteIt was a tasty one as well!
DeleteThe diversity seems appealing. Our outings are usually coffee. On a special day we might have scones. Breakfast out is a treat. Last weekend we brought in chicken sandwiches with fries and cole slaw. As you can see, we don't live high on the hog.
ReplyDeleteWe really don't either. Most days I eat some Filipino concoction over white rice with the occasional "American" dish thrown in.
Delete