The Mansion

 

After my BIL returned home from his week of work in Manila, we spent one weekend day going to visit "The Mansion" which is a cross between the White House and Camp David or creating an analogy for the current occupant, a cross between the White House and Mar-a Lago. In all my previous trips to the Philippines, it has been a summer home for the President of the Philippines and technically still is though the guards won't say that specifically. However, recently the main structure you see in the photo above is now a museum and open to the public with approved reservations which my SIL had obtained.

The Mansion was actually built by Americans for American leaders after the Spanish American war and was completed in 1908. During World War II, it suffered greatly from bombing but was eventually repaired before being turned over the Philippines who then converted it into the summer home of their President. Not quite two years ago, it was renovated again and opened up to the public as a Presidential Museum.

No pictures were allowed but as I have come to expect with any history museum in the Philippines, it was quite "lite" and heavily redacted as far as facts go. There have only been 17 presidents of the Philippines and nearly every room on the tour contained information on 2 or 3 of the presidents. The rooms were very tiny and with no air conditioning, were very hot and humid at the time we visited. We were allowed to stand while the guide gave us a short speech on every president. The facts we were told often related to the age of the wife of the president, their marriage and every president bio had a chart informing us how tall that president had been. You know, all the important historical details. Ferdinand Marcos was given an entire room to himself and besides his height, his most important fact that he was the "longest serving president" in Filipino history. It mentioned not one thing about him becoming a dictator and told of not one thing he did as president other than his fabled 11 day romance of Imelda. 

Like I said, it was rather "lite" on details and wishful thinking. At first I thought that was par for the course as I have seen that elsewhere in my travels through the country but then it hit me, with Ferdinand's son, "Bong Bong" Marcos currently the president in office and the one who had final say over the museum, it probably shouldn't have surprise me.

Eventually we were ushered into a gift shop that sold maybe six different items, all cheap trinkets with an official presidential seal mass made in China. They really could take a lessons from Americans on capitalizing financially from gift shops at tourist attractions. Since none of us were interested in a coffee cup or key chain with the presidential seal, we were allowed to enter another room outfitted with a long table with pieces of paper and pencils placed around it. They said we could write a letter to Bong Bong Marcos and he would surely read them. Not wanting to end up in the gulag for telling him my true thoughts about the museum, I wisely declined and we were ushered out.

Then and only then we were allowed to take pictures of the Mansion from the driveway above the sign in the above picture or of the park down below that holds the Filipino version of the reflecting pool complete with fountains. But we were monitored and told that we could take no photographs of the area off to the left which was a grassy expanse built upon what obviously were underground bunkers. Since we never got to view the second story of The Mansion and definitely weren't underground at any point, I assumed that is where the president stays whenever they visit though with air conditioners being more common, they probably don't travel all the way to Baguio these days just to beat the heat in the lowlands.

I thought I would include two more pictures for your amusement. After we made it through security which was just a simply walk through a scanner, we had to sit in a waiting room while badges were created and until our tour was allowed to officially proceed up the driveway. The waiting room had a bunch of seats, some photographs of other historical buildings around the Philippines that one could visit and two magazine that were free for us to read while waiting. Their covers are presented below.




Comments

  1. Apparently some places don't mean phone cameras when they say no cameras, but I think this place didn't' mean that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She definitely meant no cameras of any kind because she specifically pointed at my phone when she made the comment and kept an eye on me the entire tour. Being the only all white person on the tour, I guess I was an easy target and now that I think of it, other than my BIL taking selfies at the end of the tour, I was the only one taking pictures when I was allowed.

      I thought about just putting my phone on video mode and then accidentally swinging it in that direction but honest, there really wasn't anything of interest to look at. Just an absurdly flat grassy area with a few trees on it among the hills and jungle everywhere else around The Mansion.

      Delete
  2. Propaganda from people in power spans the globe, eh? It doesn't sound like the most interesting museum but you have good insights on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Power corrupts absolutely... as the saying goes. What I found most interesting was how short the history is compared to our own, at least the history before we became involved. Coincidentally, I have not seen much history prior to that on display there outside of the occasional book which few Filipinos have read. Many times I find myself spouting Philippine history facts that the locals don't know.

      Delete
  3. It is a suppressed country in many ways and corruption everywhere. Coming to America is a way out. Our local Filipinos were treated as less than equals - but that changed when Hawaii elected a governor of Filipino ancestry - Ben Cayetano. Instantly, there was more pride amongst the Filipino community and more respect for them - which they deserved because of their family and work ethics, as well as their talents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is corruption here too but it is definitely more behind the scenes than in the Philippines. They is a lot of pride for their culture, especially when a Filipino somewhere in the world does something news worthy.

      Delete
  4. You had me looking up the Marcos family. Of course I remember Ferdinand and Imelda, but not Imee and Bongbong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like such ancient history but it really isn't. I found myself thinking of American political dynasties. The Kennedys and the Bushes readily come to mind. The Filipino version seems to be the Marcos and the Aquino families.

      Delete
  5. Interesting and disturbing how countries whitewash their history. This is a blatant example.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm used to it by now in the Philippines but I haven't gotten used to it in my own country.

      Delete
  6. I never knew Marcos Jr. was known as "Bong Bong." I wonder where that name comes from? (I'm sure I could look it up.) The Mansion would look a lot better if they'd relocate that unsightly radio or cell tower behind it. That cover about the Filipino children is HARSH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Filipino culture is such that everyone has a given name and a nickname. Then on top of that, nicknames are often doubled. So in the Philippines, Bong is a shortened form of Ferdinand, his given name and then when doubled, becomes BongBong. I also know LaLa, VinVin, LongLong, etc.

      I thought that magazine cover was very harsh too but was surprised that only you commented on it. I wish I had had time to read the actual article but we were the only tour evidently so as soon as we got our badges and a speech, we were off.

      Delete
  7. I suppose it's one of those places that ought to be perused at least once in a tourist's lifetime, although it doesn't sound like they care enough to make it interesting. That said, I have to say that mansions don't interest me much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been on a lot of "house" tours from presidents to famous people and like you, they don't interest me much. Perhaps the most it excites me is seeing some period piece of wood furniture that I would like to replicate someday.

      Delete
  8. It's a beautiful building for not having air conditioning. I would agree with you about not expressing honest thoughts to the President.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would guess the upstairs might be conditioned but it would be considered a waste to do that for the museum on the first floor.

      Delete

Post a Comment