Sofa Art for Steve Reed

 

Blogger friend Steve Reed posted yesterday (American time and Monday London time) about a painting that he remembered hanging up in his parent's home when he was a child. As soon as I saw the picture and before I read anything he wrote about it, I was first struck about how similar it was to a painting that belonged to my grandparents and now adorns my family room wall above our piano. Steve researched the artist, a Robert Wood, and wrote up paragraph about his findings. Intrigues, I got up out of my office chair, walked into the family room and looked at the lower left corner of it and saw mine too was a print by Robert Wood. What a small world!

I left a comment on Steve's blog stating my discovery but thought I would share it with him and anyone else who happened to read his post and also reads my blog. I think he referred to it as sofa art. To be fair, after my grandmother died and we were going through her possessions, I saw the painting and passed it up but my wife grabbed it and put it in our pile to bring home. Eventually she even hung it up where it hangs now. I have no doubt it will likely end up in a landfill when I am no longer above ground as my kids never grew up knowing about it and likely still don't. It isn't a spectacular print and the only reason it stayed out of the landfill when it transferred to me is because I made the comment to my wife when she pointed out the painting that it belonged to my grandparents and was the only artwork I ever saw hanging up in all their many houses they lived in over the years. 

Comments

  1. That's an amazing coincidence. It's pleasant art and there's nothing wrong with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was pretty neat, especially since I hadn't really given the print much thought at all.

      Delete
  2. Cool! I wonder if he was a prolific artist. I recall a similar photo but darker on my parents living room wall...I especially recall the maple frame as I dusted it many times:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From Steve's research, I would guess he was prolific. I think it is proof that you don't have to be talented, you just have to sell a lot of paintings!

      Delete
  3. Fantastic! So glad to see your counterpart to my own family's "sofa art." I don't mean to be entirely derogatory when I call it that -- it's good, crowd-pleasing landscape painting. Clearly people liked it enough to not only buy it but look at it for decades! Personally I would love to know how Wood wound up being such a major figure in the world of department store art prints, and how much money he made from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely agree with you on all counts. Art is definitely in the eye of the beholder and I do remember my grandparents loving that print. I think it reminded my grandfather of hidden places to go fishing, his big passion in life. I also agree in wondering how Wood ended up where he ended up. I'm sure it is fascinating even if it is a short story.

      Delete
  4. Makes me wonder if I've seen one by this artist and just didn't know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never heard his name until I read Steve's post and hadn't wasted any seconds pondering if he had lots of prints or not. In fact, until I read Steve's post and looked at my own, I has assumed it was just a school teacher type painting and not a signed print. It just goes to show there are stories everywhere if one goes looking for them.

      Delete
  5. You remind me that we have a singing from my grands. It’s hanging at the bottom of the stairs to our unfinished basement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Singing equals painting perhaps? If not, that is a Canadian phrase I am not familiar with.

      Delete

Post a Comment