Not Much Happening
The late summer doldrums are here apparently because this is the first post I've written in a couple weeks now. The last couple weeks of posts were all written maybe a month ago and set to publish when they appeared. There are another couple weeks of posts wrapping up my vacation that will publish in the coming weeks. I do this specifically for times like this when I have a large swath of time with not much interesting really happening. It takes the pressure off of posting something so people don't begin to wonder if I'm still alive.
Above is a picture of an origami boat made from a dollar bill. One of my many volunteer activities to give back to my community is to count the Sunday collections for our church about once a month. The sight above is not my favorite sight to see because it slows me down, especially when there are dozens of origami or just tightly wadded up bills that I have to individually unfold and/or flatten so that we can more easily count them and later the teller can run it through their machines. I'm pretty sure the origami folder has never considered that their actions make not one but two people's lives more time consumed to undo their creation.
Also during the late summer doldrums, I celebrated a birthday. Not a big one for it ended in a non-zero but it was at least another one in string of future ones that are less numerous than the ones already past. I'm guessing nearly all my blog readers are in the same boat. My family celebrated it a few days early before my eldest left again for college which is fine by me. Today as I write this post which you will see a couple weeks from now, is my actual birthday and I celebrated it by going to see my doctor for a semi-annual checkup. My doctor finally ordered a test for casein proteins in milk to see if my recent years intolerance to milk is protein related or lactose related. Judging on my experimentations, it is a some of both. These days I just avoid cheese and anything I consume with milk is made using almond milk. I still get bit occasionally when I eat out, such as my last episode when the breaded tenderloin I ate sparked it. After the fact, I learned it was likely soaked in milk before breading which makes it so tasty but hard on my gut later.
I'm still working in the garage most mornings while it is still cool. The church that asked me to build the alter last year asked if I could build some furniture for a class for kids on the workings of a church service. They asked me to build a child sized ambo or lectern for speaking and two holders for the large church candles. The only requirement was that they be made of scrap so they matched the scrap wood kid sized altar too. Below is the results of that build which was nice as it got rid of quite a few smaller pieces of wood in my scrap pile.
I'm undecided yet what my next project will be. Likely it will be a small one where I don't need much planning because I don't have anything planned right now. I have a couple bigger projects in mind for perhaps next year but I need to do some design and planning work on them before starting because despite the heat now, I know all too soon it will be cold and I'll have the opposite problem in my garage. Now it is mostly just my comfort of working in a hot garage. In winter, it quickly gets too cold where things like glues and finish won't apply well or cure due to the temperatures. The joys of having an unconditioned work space.

.jpg)
Happy Belated Birthday. As I guess you know, I am celebrating (not the right word) in dribs and drabs, like you, partly bc granddaughter has to be off to uni.
ReplyDeleteYes, Margaret, you and myself all have birthdays fairly close together and have been celebrating in dribs and drabs. I think I celebrated my last drab a couple weeks back though, at least for another 11 months!
DeleteHappy Jolly birthday! Lovely child-size items. That will certainly help them gain confidence when speaking. Linda in Kansas
ReplyDeleteI think the main goal was just for them to feel comfortable in church surroundings which surely would help them gain confidence should they decide for a speaking roll.
DeleteHappy belated birthday, Ed! Your lectern and candle holders look like they came out great. I'm sure the origami folder thinks they're giving you a little treat, with their artfully crafted offering! They probably never considered that it might actually be a hindrance.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure you are right about the origami. They need to do a PSA during mass sometime about it! "The More You Know..."
DeleteI've been lactose intolerant for a couple of decades and use Lactaid milk as it tastes like actual milk (also comes in 2%) but the best news to me is that Wegman's grocery now makes Cookies and Cream ice cream! I've done without it for those decades but am on my 2nd tub of the Wegmans!! Bryers also make Cookies and Cream but it has Oat milk in it which doesn't appeal to me.
ReplyDeleteA belated Happy Birthday to you!
Well the doctor ruled out a protein problem so I'm left with being lactose intolerant though I have had problems using lactaid milk..., the whole reason I explored the proteins. I've read that many lactaid products still have lactose but just lactaid added to counteract. I suspect that I just need higher doses of lactaid which is where I'm at now in my experimenting.
DeleteI'm starting to explore the non-dairy world which has been hidden to me until this. I've eaten some coconut cream in place of vanilla ice cream which is great for those chocolaty desserts and pies. My birthday cake was actually frosted with a coconut cream cheese based frosting which was quite nice too. So there are options out there. I just need to find them.
I am also an August "baby" of many years. I do not get excited by having a celebration the way that my grandchildren do, which my grandson does not understand. His mother just asked him what he thinks Baba (that's me) would want as a birthday present, and he yelled out, "Peace and Quiet!" So true, so true. I don't really want or need anything else.
ReplyDeleteWell I still answer, "just a day spent with my wife and kids" to that question. Anything beyond that doesn't much interest me either.
DeleteAwww... it may really disappoint (or embarrass) the origami artist to get called out during the service! The "face" it makes is kinda neat! I never was very good at origami.
ReplyDeleteI never noticed the face until reading your comment but it is there.
DeleteEventhough it slows you down, it's very cool to see the creativity of some.
ReplyDeleteIt certainly is more creative than just wadding it into a ball which some do.
DeleteDoldrums describes it well. It's just been too hot to be enthusiastic about much these days. Good idea for your blogging schedule. It is somewhat worrisome when people just seem to up and disappear from the internet.
ReplyDeleteI always imagine the worst has happened though after years of reaching out, it usually is just life getting in the way.
DeleteHappy Birthday! May there be many more. Origami is fascinating, but something I could never do myself. Love the woodwork, as usual, and my guess is you have at least a couple more months of warmth to knock some thing out in the garage. Enjoy the "down time!"
ReplyDeleteI'm a one trick pony when it comes to origami. All I know how to make is the swan.
DeleteNice woodwork project! You are very talented! Happy Happy Birthday!! I am sure you are much younger than me...I reach one of those nasty numbers later this month:)
ReplyDeleteI think I'm likely younger than many of my readers that comment but I'm still old enough to have been called a grandpa by my younger daughter's classmates once.
DeleteHappy Birthday, fellow August celebrator! Sorry about the lactose intolerance; I love dairy, so that would be difficult. However, as you mention, there are alternatives. You just have to find them and adapt. It's better than having gut problems.
ReplyDeleteMost certainly, especially when I'm on the road, gut health is most important to me and my traveling companions.
DeleteHappy belated birthday! I also write almost all my blog posts to schedule them in advance. My time is so tight when we’re home in Hawaii caring for mom. We’re really enjoying being able to sleep later here in Chicagoland, but now busy seeing friends and packing up so many of the things we’ve left here when we moved back to Hawaii almost 20 years ago and donating most of them.
ReplyDeleteYou do have the most interesting wood working projects all the time which Art enjoys seeing.
It removes some of the stress of trying to come up with subjects to write about if I can write about them in advance. Have a safe journey home!
Delete