From the Villa to the Farm
After three nights on El Nido, we had the waiters float our breakfast on the tiny pool just so my daughter could get a pic for her feed and then they carried it inside where we ate it and then headed out the door with our bags. Julie our van driver was already waiting for us to take us to the airport. We arrived about 15 minutes before our flight's listed boarding time which turned out to be about 10 minutes more time than necessary to get through the check-in process. I could get used to life in the islands. We waited for ten minutes and then were boarding the plane and after verifying there was no caribou our chicken on the runway, we were in the air and heading back to the main island of Luzon and the former Clark Air Base, now known as the Clark Freeport and Economic Zone.
As we neared the coast, we flew over what appeared to be huge fish farms and indeed, in the coming days I would drive near this part again though I really never got a good photograph. Photography has always frustrated me in the Philippines. There are no sidewalks are really good places to walk short of directly in traffic on the road. So I find myself in bouncing vehicles trying to take photos out of a dirt streaked windshield or from the parking lot or pullout where we stopped where there is never anything scenic to look at. I thought many times on this trip that if only I was driving a motorcycle that I could stop on a little sliver of the edge of the road and not inconvenience a van full of people, I would have a lot more pictures to show for my trip.
The former Clark Air Base used to belong to the United States and was created by us shortly after the Spanish-American War of 1899. It remained in U.S. control until 1991 except for three years when the Japanese occupied the base and installed the anti-aircraft guns seen all around (and like the one above) for defense against the returning Americans. It might still be in U.S. hands if not for the huge eruption of the nearby volcano Mt. Pinatubo which erupted in 1991. As it happened to be the time for renewing our agreement with the Philippines, the U.S. decided an airbase now covered in many feet of ash was not worth the money and let it lapse back under Philippine control. It was subsequently abandoned and looted until the Philippines decided to invest money in it again.
As part of that investment, they built a museum that we visited upon our exiting the airport proper. It consisted of seven or eight rooms in a large building though only one of those rooms really had anything to do with the history of the base and then, it was mostly about the geology of the base and not much on the miltary history. The rest of the rooms were just cultural displays of local art, apparel and one room that held only banners of other places around the area that a tourist might want to visit. The Filipino museums seem to be fast and loose with their historical facts but I'll go into that with another post down the road.
Before we left the Economic Zone, we made one more stop to get some halo halo which is probably the national dessert of the Philippines. It is made of shaved ice, sweetened milk, sweetened beans and fruits and is quite delicious though I have only eaten it once 23 years ago on my first trip to the Philippines. Later I learned an important lesson that ice is indeed often made from contaminated tap water that doesn't sit well with my gut health. However, this time we made a point to visit the national chain known for their halo halo and my children risked it and beat the odds, enjoying their halo halo with no repercussions later.






Lots of variety in your days there. I like the looks of the little house with the flowerpots around it.
ReplyDeleteNearly every house I have visited in the Philippines has lots of potted plants everywhere... outside. You almost never see plants inside. It is almost the inverse of what I see here in America.
DeleteSince I think the photos you've posted have been incredible, I can't imagine how wonderful the missed ones would be. Yes, ice can be a danger in other countries. In Senegal it wasn't an issue since I was never offered anything with ice in it. They ate that lizard? What is it exactly?
DeleteI'd forgotten the rule the volcano played in the closing of Clark, but by 1991, we weren't fighting wars in SE Asia... The country looks so lush and fertile, some of which probably has to do with volcanic activity.
ReplyDeleteI had forgotten about that too. I had assumed that Marcos just got tired of American pressure and kicked us out.
DeleteGreat photos, especially the first one with the shadow of the plane!
ReplyDeleteIt was a lucky shot. I didn't notice the shadow until after I had taken the picture.
DeleteThe halo halo looks good, but I think I'll pass on the lizard!
ReplyDeleteI would have tried the lizard soup if offered but I can't imagine their meat is anything to write home about.
DeleteThe soil looks poor there or maybe it just needs seed and water. I like the looks of the farm house with a nice porch and plants all around, there are some nice flowering plants at the back where the grass is greener:)
ReplyDeleteThe soil around the farmhouse is pretty much just packed clay for parking vehicles and preventing a lot of weeds from growing up. When you get behind the house into where it hasn't been disturbed, it is quite nice looking.
Delete