Chaos Coasters

 

I subscribe to a couple dozen woodworking YouTube channels mainly to get inspiration for projects that I would like to build. But one particular channel The Family Woodworker, I subscribe for a slightly different reason. The channel owner is a very artistic woodworker and has lots of projects simply creating art out of wood which is something I have always struggled how to do. I can design and build a 12=drawer dresser from looking at pictures and knowing how to build furniture but I struggle when it comes to making things that are just artistically beautiful. The Family Woodworker has inspired me over the years with his artistic skills and when this project came up recently, I knew I just had to do it.

As a woodworker, I generate a fair amount of scrap. I generally save the bigger pieces on racks and in piles to use elsewhere, many times as jigs to help me do various wood working tasks or sometimes as smaller projects. But I still end up with a lot of small scraps of beautiful species of wood that I've been tossing into five gallon buckets and using as fire starter for my fireplace in the winter. But with some largish projects like the altar last year and the 12-drawer dresser this year, I have enough scrap kindling for several years. This project is a perfect way to use some of those scraps up instead of just burning them.

I cut a chunk of 4" pvc pipe I had leftover from an old HVAC venting project and capped it with a plastic cap that I had to buy at the hardware store, my only cash outlay for this project. I sorted through my buckets of burn scraps and cut 10" sections of pieces and shoved them into the PVC pipe in a random way. Once it was full and pleasing to my unartistic eyes, I mixed up some leftover epoxy from one of my kid's past projects and poured it into PVC tube until it was filled to the top. I placed some wax paper and weights on top since wood has a tendency to float and left it for a couple days.

I had previously cut a slit in the PVC pipe and then taped it up before pouring the epoxy. I also sprayed the inside of the pipe and cap with a mold release spray so that after the epoxy cured, I could pop it out of the mold. I ended up having to destroy the cap to get it off which had allowed epoxy to set up between the outside of the PVC tube and the inside of the cap wall. Next time if I do this again, I'll have to come up with something different there. With the cap off, I could pry off the PVC tube and end up with the plug of epoxy and scrap wood you see above. Note that I added black dye into the epoxy to give it that dark color.

Then using my bandsaw, I cut coaster size pucks from the epoxy plug. Being lazy, I had a large resaw blade on my bandsaw which was likely a bit too aggressive for this project. In fact, it caused a couple chunks of epoxy to chip off the edges of a couple coasters and on the 10th coaster I was cutting, it caught the plug and threw it clear across my garage and bent my bandsaw blade into an unusable state. I decided I could live with nine coasters at that point once I had changed into clean underwear. 

The bandsaw also left pretty deep groves in the coaster surfaces so I ended up having to do a LOT more sanding than I would have liked to get down to a smooth surface. I still have some scratches left on a few of the coasters but I finally reminded myself that they were COASTERS and not works of art to display in a gallery and that they were more of a proof of concept than building something I might someday sell. 

Still, after applying a coat of finish on them below, I must say they turned out spectacular. I especially like the round chunks of Anahaw or Philippine palm tree wood (the larger circles with lots of smaller circles ranging from dark to light) and the Philippine Kamagong wood which are the other round chunks with the caramel like swirls of color in them. I just may have to do this project again after I'm finished with the 12-drawer dresser and perhaps have some to sell or give as Christmas gifts. It is after all, just four and a half months to Christmas!



Comments

  1. Your coasters are a work of art!! What a fun project...be careful out there...those kick backs from a saw can be deadly:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned my lesson. Next time, if ever, I will make a jig to hold the slug steady and firmly.

      Delete
  2. Totally cool coasters! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think these are beautiful and very creative!! I am really impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had thought of the idea myself.

      Delete
  4. Ed, these are amazing and terribly beautiful. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They ended up way better than they should for a trial run.

      Delete
  5. They are beautiful! Those Philippine woods are fantastic! Had to laugh about you needing to change your underwear. Glad you were safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, I was keeping my hands well away from the blade so I wasn't risking losing a digit.

      Delete
  6. Wow, when I started reading and saw the first couple of pictures, I couldn't imagine what the finished product was going to be and would have never guessed coasters! They are beautiful and I think you can now give yourself credit for being artistic! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still can't credit myself since it wasn't my idea but that of the Family Woodworker. I did send him a picture and an email of thanks for posting his video as inspiration.

      Delete
  7. The depth and grain contrast on these coasters is incredible, Ed! Scrap wood plus black epoxy was a brilliant combination. Glad you survived the flying epoxy plug to share the finished product—they'll make awesome Christmas gifts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The combination really worked out well and it was fortunate since the only dye I have is from my dresser project and it is black. If I had needed blue or some other color, I would have been out of luck.

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you're OK although it sounds like a scary experience. Saws are frightening to me in general. LOVE the coasters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are which is why I only use them when I can be 100% focused on what I am doing. Unfortunately though, mistakes can still happen as it did this time but nobody was harmed and I learned a valuable lesson.

      Delete
  9. Yes, you definitely have artistic ability. Keep on looking for things to do with the wood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the ability to follow instructions anyway.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful, Ed! The different patterns in the different woods is fascinating! When I was a kid, my dad taught and oversaw me using a jigsaw to make a couple of 4-H projects, and from that experience, a part of me has always wanted to learn woodworking. But then stories like you tell here make it easy to put that thought away and just keep to my squishy soft textile creations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only textile creations I ever did were as a kid when my mom used to buy me latch hook kits whenever I was sick and had to stay home from school for awhile. I probably did a dozen of them over the years. I wonder what ever happened to them? I'm guessing mom threw them away because I don't ever remember them displayed or stored anywhere.

      I'm a self taught woodworker. None of my family every really worked with wood other than out necessity on the farm such as building a gate or a door to an out building. I just have always liked designing and building from my earliest years with Legos and as I got off on my own, I remembered pondering which way to go. I also went with metal working such as restoring old cars but in the end, decided to go with woodworking. If scratches that need inside of me to design something and then build it.

      Delete

Post a Comment