Back In the U.S.A.


Thanks for everyone who was concerned about my safety while I was away in the Philippines. Evidently there was an big earthquake while I was there though I knew nothing about it until I started receiving text and emails from concerned friends. It happened the day I was leaving the mountains of northern Philippines and heading to the nearest airport for a flight to islands off the west coast of the central Philippines. The earthquake in question was in the very southern part of the Philippines and thus far from me feeling it. The entire archipelago of islands however is on the Ring of Fire so earthquakes can happen anywhere in the chain and indeed a really large one occurred in the area I spent most of my time back in 1990 so not ancient history. I was just fortunate to be in a different part of the country when the earthquake struck.

I had a great time in the Philippines. I visited some new territories to me as well as visited some that I visited back 23 years ago and even reposted some posts of those places while I was gone. I'll have plenty to blog about in the upcoming months and will hopefully be able to compose some new "classic" posts on the subject.

My last trip to the Philippines was eight years ago, my longest absence by far since I met the woman who became my wife. There was a pandemic and also some Visa constraints that played a part in that fact. In my long absence, parts of the Philippines had changed dramatically. There is a lot more signs of increased wealth everywhere I went though crushing poverty is always within sight too. I see bigger houses and more private vehicles and yet hired people who were bring home 400 pesos ($6.50 U.S.) a day in wages. In ways, it is much like the U.S. where the chasm between the wealthiest and the poorest is only growing deeper and wider. 

Some highlights of my trip in no particular order were:

  • Visiting the rice terraces near Sagada in the northern Philippines
  • Having my van driver invite me to his home and pick apple-mangoes for me out of his tree in front of his house.
  • Being able to spend time with people I haven't seen in over a decade and in some cases two. 
  • Arriving back home to a world full of things that I take for granted but were missed daily while away.
I am still getting caught up on a mountain of "life" that happened while I was gone and so don't have any pictures uploaded yet but I will get some soon. Until then, I will share with you a picture that I pasted in my journal before I left and filled out as I traveled around the country to give me and now you a sense of location of where I spent time or in the case of the earthquake, something notable happened while I was there. 

Comments

  1. Welcome Back Ed! Glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a wonderful trip, full of family and new experiences. Traveling is such a gift; it shows us how people live in other places and their advantages/disadvantages and makes us grateful for what we have here. I loved how fresh the food was in Senegal and how family-oriented the country was. They live so close to the land and could survive way better in catastrophic circumstances than I could--with my grocery store dependence and products shipped in from all over the world. I hated the scary transportation. I was often miserable in the heat and humidity. Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going to the Philippines always reminds me of how little one actual needs to live a decent life. It makes my life here in the U.S. seem unnecessarily complicated.

      Delete
  3. Welcome back home, Ed. It always takes me several days to get back to normal. My pilot cousin said it would take 1 day for every time zone to recover from a trip. I love what you wrote about your van driver. That's so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on day five and am not 100% yet. I think by the end of the week though I should be fully back in this time zone. I have a good post in my head to go along with some great pictures of that van driver. At some point in the future, I will get it typed and the pictures uploaded into a post on here.

      Delete
  4. Welcome home. I chose not to continue with the joe posts, having skipped one or two, and it being referred to in the next post that I opened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. I knew when I posted them that they likely wouldn't be as widely read as posts written about current events. But it seemed better than letting my blog go silent and people wondering...

      Delete
  5. So glad to know you're back home, safe and sound. I look forward to hearing all about your trip! (and photos!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to be back. I think I took around 980 photos while there so I'll have plenty to choose from for posts.

      Delete
  6. Welcome back and thanks for posting the map, which helps with perspective on where you were. One of your other readers and I texted each other, wondering if you were affected by the earthquake. Glad it was a good trip and look forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never done a map before with the exception of my Colorado River dory trip decades ago. I don't struggle with direction or location here in the States because my mental map is strong but in the Philippines it is quite the opposite. Creating the map as we went around the country really helped build that mental map.

      Delete
  7. Glad you're back, Ed! And thanks for the earthquake info. I have been waiting all this time to hear what it was like, and never imagined that you were so far away you didn't even feel it. I had no idea the Philippine archipelago was so big.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess size is relative. The island chain itself stretches over a 1000 miles long which is likely why I didn't feel anything. But you could nearly fit all the islands into the same area occupied by the state of Colorado. Yet the Philippines has about one third the population of the entire United States!

      Delete
  8. Ed, nice to have you back. It sounds like you had an interesting trip. Really looking forward to hearing all about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Due to the heat wave, I've been spending my afternoons slowly starting to collect thoughts and put them into blog form. I always think I'll have hundreds of potential posts but somehow when I get back and sit down to the computer screen, I struggle to come up with ones I think might be interesting. Still, I'm sure I'll end up with quite a few in the coming month.

      Delete
  9. Glad your back home and safe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back! Hope your lawn isn't made into hay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I planned ahead and hired it out while I was away so it was in good shape when we arrived.

      Delete

Post a Comment