Getting Oriented

 


In case you noticed my absence in commenting or responding to comments on this blog, it was because I was off again on a road trip. Our eldest had freshman orientation at her college and so we all headed up to attend that. We got there a bit early and so headed off to find her dorm for the year which we located and you can see in the above picture. 

After that, we attended seminars all morning on everything from adapting to paying tuition. Our college aged children were separated from us and the parents attended more tailored seminars that we could chose from a list. Nothing terrible exciting in all of those. Perhaps the only thing that changed for me is that my romantic notion of someday attending college again is now permanently squashed. Sitting in the seats of large auditoriums with someone droning on and on about something in a far to perky voice just didn't bring back the good memories. 

One positive is that after we were reunited, our eldest said she was just a big nerd. All the girls in her group mostly talked about getting nails done and which bars they could get into underaged first, neither of which interested her. After sharing class schedules, none of them knew a single class on my daughter's schedule as they were far too advanced for them. The only one who had signed up for a computer account and submitted their transcript, as required, was my daughter. She was also the only one who had utilized the recommended career councilors to help plan out her schedule. All I could do was smile with the knowledge that I had raised my daughter right and that being a nerd in college should serve her well throughout her life.

As chance would have it, a couple in our gourmet group arranged to go to a restaurant instead of preparing the meal from our homes as we most often do. They arranged our meeting at a nice restaurant in the very town of my eldest college orientation on the same day. So after orientation was over, we were able to drop the kids and MIL off at a motel room and head out for an evening eating very tasty foods. Perhaps most notable was the skate fish course. Only after googling did I understand that it is a close cousin to the more known manta ray fish. Best of all, after the meal was over, we had a fifteen minute drive back to the motel versus a two hour drive back to home. 

The following day, we had a leisurely departure with the girls doing some shopping at some stores we don't have back home before heading out. I composed a post on the Book of Face seeking native recommendations for future places to eat since undoubtedly, we will be spending more time there in the upcoming years. I'm not terribly thrilled with the traffic, which is quite heavy, but am excited to taste more of this culinary world outside of my home area.

Comments

  1. Great program for kids entering college. You are giving and have given your daughter great support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope she loves college life and being a nerd is just fine...far less drama filled than fingernails and places to drink. She will find her people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She seems to have a similar roommate which helps.

      Delete
  3. At this point in life, I think any furthering of my education will come from reading books, TED talks, or the like. I have no desire to sit in a classroom, virtually or in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my options are the same as yours. I learn a lot via YouTube these days.

      Delete
  4. And so, the independence begins. You did all the great parenting and your daughter will thrive and blossom because of it, despite peers and pressures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. It is hard standing back and only watching.

      Delete
  5. How exciting to attend an orientation! I remember feeling overwhelmed at both my daughters' ones. So much to remember! Then I realized that most of it wasn't mine to deal with, it was theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Parents are much more included these days, at least officially if not by the kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely. Makes me wonder what my parents were feeling when they sent me into the great unknown void.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like you did a dandy job of college prep parenting. My son was stunned about a high school studious friend who changed into a lazy drinker. I think we deducted only about 10% of the students were of the "studious, Eagle Scout" type. Another reason he didn't join a fraternity. He said he could party after undergrad and vet school, which consists of having a home fridge of fancy beers. Have fun researching the restaurants and history of your daughter's new town. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately for me, I was one of those ten percent like your son. I had my share of fun but avoided drinking alcohol for the most part during my college career.

      Delete
  8. The world needs more nerds! I don't remember any of this happening when our kids went to college.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m pretty sure I attended some sort of orientation way back when, but no longer remember anything about it.

      Delete
    2. Our kids went, but I don't remember anything for the parents.

      Delete
  9. Ed, the first weeks of school are always the hardest in college as they are thrown into a mass based on their status of freshmen. It takes a few weeks or months for them to find "their people".

    Also, I can understand how that might quash any thoughts of going back to school. As an adult, I am there to learn the same way I work: data driven, actions clearly understood, let me go and do my thing. College classes are often not that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will definitely be a culture shock for my daughter until she finds her people.

      Delete
  10. Well... we sure know you have very, very intelligent daughters. They come with good genes. The sad part will be when you have to drop her off and say goodbye. My daughter and son-in-law did the college visit a couple of weeks ago and they felt that sadness of realizing that their daughter would be leaving home in another year. Actually, at our house many, many moons ago, it was my son who also keenly felt the parting from his sister who always supported him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likewise, I think it will be our youngest daughter who will be the saddest when our eldest starts college. I’m more worried about her than our eldest.

      Delete

Post a Comment