Graduations

 

This day has been looming for awhile and though I am excited for it, I'm not sure I'm emotionally ready. My eldest daughter is graduating high school and my youngest is graduating elementary school. The former weighs on my a lot more than the latter.

Preparations have been in the works for months, mostly by my wife and daughter. I have done a few things but haven't been pulling nearly my weight on this project. On this day, the morning of the graduation party, my job was to set up a tent that we bought from a friend whose son graduated a couple years ago, and set it up. As one would expect, the directions were lacking but I eventually got it figured out. Below you can see it partially set up with the roof in place and lashed down where I could. Knowing a bowline and trucker's hitch knots are keys in getting a flimsy affair like this tent lashed down to where only a moderate wind might jeopardize it. 

We are holding our graduation party a day earlier than most so that we can spend tomorrow going to other graduation parties. Then come Sunday, it is the real deal with a graduation mass in the morning and a full blown graduation ceremony for the entire school in the afternoon. After that, it will be a week of returning borrowed tables and chair, packing up the tent and other things, and enjoying a couple summer months before I have to move my daughter into a dorm room. Fortunately for me, perhaps her for now, that dorm room is about a two hour drive away so not to far. I have a feeling we will probably be seeing more of that college town than I have spent there previously over the last half century. 

Originally my wife and daughter planned a combination graduation and 18th birthday party celebration two weeks beyond graduation. I mistakenly suggested having a small graduation reception for those not interested in an 18th birthday "debut" at they celebrate in my wife's home country. I also suggested catering to relieve stress of preparation. The former idea was accepted but expanded on greatly and the later one ignored completely. As you can see, my wife spent hours in the kitchen preparing a feast for the many dozens of people who later arrived. Despite most of the above plates having several refills still inside in the oven or refrigerator when I snapped this picture, every morsel was gone three hours later.


I thought I would end this post with one photo of my daughter and her decorated cap listening to the speeches onstage. Planning on being a Neurology major, it says, "somewhere between neuronic and iconic" with a depiction of a neuron in the center. 


Comments

  1. LOL. That's a clever girl you've got. Ugh. Leaving them at college....I was never ready to leave, and I cried my head off on the way home. I always got a text or phone call from them to see if I was still crying. They thought it was hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The morning I left for college, I cried all the way to my neighbor's house where I planned to follow him up to college where we would be roommates. I remember driving really slow so I could get all my tears dried up before getting there. I can't imagine how much my mom cried. I just know she was crying when I left. I expect I may have some tears in my eyes too when my daughter and I part the first time around. I just hope to contain them until I'm out of sight.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations to your daughter, Ed!

    Having been through this entire sequence three times, I will note that the adjustment - at least for us - was not as bad as I thought it might have been. We are a relatively close family so the children and we made a conscious effort to stay in touch. I will also say that in all cases, they pretty quickly found friends and activities that filled their time - which is great, because it makes for good stories, but is a little sad as well as they become "busy". I will say that, contrary to my Luddite tendencies, the ability to send short messages, pictures, and texts is one place where modern smart phones shine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping for a similar experience. Back in my day, it was a Sunday evening call on the landline that was the only contact for a week, at least for my first year in college. By the end, it may have been every two or three weeks and only making it home for breaks, because like your daughters, I became busy.

      Delete
  3. Wow! That is a mighty grand todo. I'm sure it will be memorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was grand and nice to see how many people came out to wish our daughter well on her journey.

      Delete
  4. I would eat too many of those deviled eggs; I love them! It sounds like a great celebration but transitions (for parents and children) can be hard and emotional. And never ending! Congratulations to your daughter and to your whole family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I boiled 24 eggs so we probably ended up with 44 of them, minus the two whole eggs eaten during the peeling process.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations to your daughter on finishing high school and best wishes to her in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whew! What a great looking spread of food and tent!

    Since I had 4 kids and didn't have breaks for myself, I did cartwheels (in my dreams) of them leaving the nest and going away (rule was they had to leave Hawaii) to college. Sounds terrible but we all survived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days I do cartwheels. Some days I’m near tears at the thought.

      Delete
  7. So much excitement! I was just thinking about y'all this week, wondering if she had graduated yet. That spread of food looks impressive! Hat's off to your wife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer break is officially here at our household.

      Delete
  8. Oh my goodness! Seems like I can remember when she was just a wee thing. Has it been that long?

    My youngest graduated kindergarten this week. I wish everything would just slow down a little. What's the hurry, kids?

    Food looks amazing. And now I am hungry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason, kids always want things to speed up while us adults are hollering whoa.

      Delete
  9. Oh, and it seems like all my best ideas get ignored!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’d like to think all my best ideas are ignored too. Makes them being ignored feel better.

      Delete
  10. This is what you have prepared them for! Congratulations to both of your girls! The food looks awesome! It will be okay!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations to the new graduate! Her cap decoration is really clever. It's an exciting time for the graduates, but bittersweet for parents. As much as we hope we've prepared them for a productive, happy life, it's hard to let them go.

    I didn't realize graduation parties were such a thing! The spread at yours is really amazing. Helps make the event memorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn’t either until this one was over. I thought I would be eating leftovers for weeks. Instead, after the guests had left, I was scrounging for something to eat from previous meal leftovers.

      Delete
  12. Congratulation to your daughter. Her graduation reminds me of how long I've been reading your blog as you were excited about her expected birth in those early post! The food looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember those posts. The good old days!

      Delete

Post a Comment