Donna's Trick

 

More often than I care to admit, I come across a really good idea from one of the many blogs I read every morning. Last week, Donna over at Just Me, posted a picture of her newly planted tomatoes and they looked very much like the above picture with the metal posts driven down through the center of the cages to prevent them from falling over.

Nearly always I have put up those flimsy metal cages only to have them fall over at some point in the season. It never hurts the plant but it does make it a bit more difficult to find all the tomatoes on the bottom side of the plant. It also creates a tripping hazard if unnoticed. I'm not sure why I never put my brain towards figuring out a solution. 

Last year, the final year in our old garden, we actually never got around to putting up those cages because of the timing of our visits and when we finally got down there, they were way to big to cage without breaking a lot of their branches. So we just let them grow freely and although I don't affected yields any, it was kind of a mess trying to walk through them to get to all the tomato plants. 

Donna's trick with the metal fence post seems like the perfect solution. They literally can't fall over now and I hope that means it will be much easier picking. I was also worried about them falling over into the electrified netting and the electricity damaging the plants or the cages shorting out the netting enough that it became ineffective. This solves that issue too. 

Fortunately, I had brought up all our fence posts I bought a few years ago when we raised a lot of dry beans that needed trellising so I had plenty of them. Last year, due to various gifts we couldn't refused, we ended up with around 60 or 70 tomato plants and canned enough of them to last a couple years. This year, I planted 13 of them, gave away several more and still have a few left that my wife is threatening to plant somewhere else, perhaps on our deck. Perhaps it is obvious that we love growing tomatoes, even in an off  year when we said we wouldn't repeat last year anytime soon.

Comments

  1. I love it when I learn new things from blogging -- and you're right, it happens pretty frequently! We don't grow tomatoes but we do have one of those cages, so when I use it for something I'll remember this stake trick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now if I could remember everything I "learned" from blogging when it came time to use that knowledge...

      Delete
  2. A tomato addiction may only be tackled through regular counselling. Hoarding two years' worth of canned tomatoes proves that you have got it pretty bad. Are your daughters also addicts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely. There must be a genetic component to our addiction!

      Delete
  3. I'm hoping to get my tomatoes in today (late, but that's this year), but it's pouring...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We probably could have put ours in several weeks earlier but with the greenhouse, it just didn't seem necessary so we took the lazy route.

      Delete
  4. What a simple and elegant solution. The power of the Social InterNet, and why I am a fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too, especially since I have all the components to implement it.

      Delete
  5. That is a great idea! Donna is a very creative problem solver.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We do that with our tomatoes, too! Sometimes we use fence posts, sometimes metal rods. It really does help keep things in place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Up until I had seen her post, I had been thinking about using bailing twine and tying them all together as one unit.

      Delete
    2. We really do learn from other bloggers. I often think about how bloggers are just like neighbors: We chat over the fence every once in awhile and learn all kinds of helpful tips.

      Delete
    3. I love the blogging community and I don't think those unfamiliar with quite understand the appeal.

      Delete
  7. One of the things I love about blogs...the things I learn. But...60 or 70 tomato plants??? Gads, man. Did you supply the county???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I supplied many other people. I would ask them how many and they would respond that they only wanted a half dozen tomatoes or so. I had to kindly inform them that I only gave away 5 gallon buckets full.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. It is only my first year of doing it this way but I suspect Donna has been doing it for many more so I'm not too worried about it not working.

      Delete
  9. Great idea! I think I need to follow her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure she would be happy to hear that.

      Delete
  10. Oh gosh, tomato cages are really bad to fall over. The other thing about them is they aren't tall enough for many types of tomatoes. I always plant mine in one of my cattle panel trellis beds now, so I have something to tie them to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One year, I made square tomato cages for my parents out of leftover metal rebar. Those didn't fall over but didn't stack up nicely and were heavy to move around.

      Delete
  11. I learn a lot from blogs, myself, but what stood out in this post was 60 or 70 tomato plants, and I was trying to imagine the output from that many tomato plants, and I couldn't. Did you supply the whole county?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't but it was probably close. I gave away many five gallon buckets full to those who wanted them. Eventually we just stopped picking them and letting them rot in the garden. In late fall, I went to mow them off so I could till the ground but couldn't because all the rotten tomatoes made my lawnmower keep getting stuck. I finally gave up and there are probably still remnants of all those tomato plants and tomatoes in that garden.

      Delete
    2. Oh I like this idea! I thinned most of my sprouts out yesterday. Most of the around-the-house or car repair things I know I learned from YouTube.

      I wonder how tomatoes grew before we trellised them. 🤷🏼‍♂️

      Delete
    3. It was sort of scary. Anywhere a tomato plant "branch" touched the ground, it developed a new root system there. After awhile, there was no forcing them upright even if I had wanted too. But I have a feeling we paid a price on yield since many were touching the ground or underneath the plant and hard to see. We made up for the lack of yield by planting way more plants than a small army could consume.

      Delete
  12. I visit Donna's blog too. This is such a great idea. I should tell my daughter. I haven't planted a tomato plant here in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment