Filling Up Time While Waiting On Spring

 


We continue to get warm spring days in the middle of February which leaves me a bit confused as to what to do. I don't want to start a huge outside project with snow and cold still very much possible. Starting an inside project with spring possibly around the corner doesn't make a lot of sense either. So I cast my eyes around and decided to tackle this corner of our property beneath the deck out back.

Long term I want to remove the concrete and the deck above and pour a larger patio with a somewhat enclosed 3 season room above. But that is probably still a ways off. Until then though, I would like to neaten this area up. 

The hose real and hoses are from the farm. I would like to replace the always flat rubber tires on it with solid rubber tires and then use that for our garden since the only spigot I have outside is on the far side of the house as the garden. Behind that is a temporary cabinet I built to hold our gas cooktop while we were remodeling the kitchen 5 years ago. I wanted to get rid of it as soon as the new kitchen was functioning but my mother-in-law drug it out back to use and it is about rotted apart. I will call our waste management company next week, haul it to the curb and be gone with it before she returns later this spring. Behind that covered in a black tarp, the neat one on the right, is my tiller, waiting to be used soon. On the left side of this photo is an old planter box we attempted to grow things in. It didn't work well since it was in the shady for 9 months of the year. I'm going to empty out the soil and salvage/dispose of the wood. 

Behind that is really the object I want to tackle first though. When we first bought this property, my brother and I cut down around a dozen trees and turned them into firewood for our fireplace steps behind me when I took this picture. Back then it filled up that entire bay, concrete to deck joists. What is left is under the sad remains of the tarp I bought new way back then but it more like a lace doily these days. The tarp doesn't keep the wood dry anymore and I no longer wish to keep that much piled up against my house and underneath my deck.

So I am going to build a firewood rack to keep it dry that will sit up against the house where the hose reel and the the former gas cooktop cabinet are sitting. I have plenty of wood that I can cut up to fill it up and I'm sizing it to hold about two or three years worth of wood instead of the 11+ years we did the first time. 

Just a note for the curious about the wood planter in the far background with the white glass enclosed box with a flower in it in the far background near the stairs from the deck. That is my mother-in-law's prayer garden that she keeps up. When she is here, the flower is replaced by a status of Mary in that white glass enclosed box that I built for her to keep it dry. Since it isn't actually underneath the deck and gets enough moisture and sunlight and fills up and weird corner between the retaining wall and the patio, it will stay for now.

Perhaps by the time I get all this stuff fixed up, spring will be here and we can start in on the new garden which I'm sure will keep up busy this spring.

Comments

  1. You are very goal-oriented with so many projects in mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, my list of projects never seems to shorten. But occasionally, one project among the many will seem like the right time to complete.

      Delete
  2. Spring appears to have arrived here (many trees are budding out and I actually saw blooms on the peach trees today), I hope it's not a false start like last year. I'd sure like to get some pears, peaches, and mayhaws. I never liked wood stacked too near the house because of critters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have looked very closely since it is in the mid 70's today. In about 30 hours, it is supposed to be 80 degrees colder! Hopefully that will be enough to convince the fruit blooms to stay hidden for awhile longer.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you'll have a number of projects to take care of... I am trying to figure out when to start my tomatoes and other plants indoors... I was hoping they were be done with the addition so I could move all my tools into the new basement shop and convert that area to a nursery to start seeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom would probably already have some started here in her greenhouse. Other than the ones my MIL started from seed last year, we have mostly bought tomato seedlings for our garden. Since we need very few this year, we'll probably just stick to seedlings.

      Delete
  4. You'll have plenty to do in due course. On our walk today, paths were partly clear and partly snow-frozen. It's a little early for it to be this advanced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the decade I spent living half way between here and where you live. That was enough for me to know I have no business spending winter up your way.

      Delete
  5. This is a mess but, I can see what you want to do with it. You will improve it greatly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. It will be a fair amount of work but will definitely make things a lot more pleasing to the eye.

      Delete
  6. It's an ideal project because it can be done in stages--which is what you need this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Today it will be 75 degrees. Tomorrow morning is will be -5 degrees!

      Delete
  7. You have plenty to keep you busy. If I have learned anything about you from the years I've followed your blog, it's that you are never short of projects. Reading about the makeshift gas cooktop you used while remodeling your kitchen made me think of the new gas "grills" that have become popular. The cooktop is flat, like a big griddle. One of my sons and my son-in-law have one and think they are great. You can cook breakfast, lunch or dinner. My wife is lobbying for one, but I'm afraid the novelty would wear off soon for her. I do most of the outdoor cooking anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our gas cooktop has grates though it does have a griddle that can swap out for a couple of the grates. It is large and heavy and we rarely use it, instead, preferring to use a large flat non-stick pan for griddle cooking which is confined mostly to pancakes.

      Delete
  8. I reckon this is why we have spring cleaning. Something productive to do when the weather is either iffy or uncooperative. That's why I try to have both an indoor and outdoor project in the works at all time. You'll be glad to have some of this little stuff tended to when you start your next big project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a really big project in mind for this year though I have a number of smaller ones. I'm hoping this is a sign that I'm getting caught up on fixing up the house.

      Delete

Post a Comment