Two Days in Washington D.C.

For the next two days, we pretty much spent our time walking around the mall surround the Capital, memorials and Smithsonian buildings. All of them I had seen on the prior mentioned band trip in junior high but it was a first for almost everyone else. I discovered a new to me memorial to F.D.R. that I had never heard existed and it turned out to be my favorite. It was not only uncrowded, but it was a vast complex of water features and shade covered benches to enjoy them on a hot day which I certainly did. We saw all the fan favorites like the Lincoln and Jefferson Memorials but they couldn't hold a candle to the F.D.R. one in my opinion.


 I have lots of pictures of the Washington Memorial from our two days but this more obscure one is my favorite with the gnarled tree and reflection in the tidal basin.


Our guests had their sights set on seeing the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum though privately, I wasn't looking forward to it. I pretty much knew it would be horribly crowded and dumbed down to a kiddie daycare level like pretty much every museum these days. Though I hadn't planned it, we only learned upon arriving at it's doors that one had to have obtained time tickets to enter it, a remnant of the Covid area. Since we didn't have such tickets nor could we obtain them before we had to leave, we went to other lesser traveled Smithsonian museums and had a grand old time. I think the above was in the Museum of Art and lined the ceiling of one exhibit room. Growing up on a farm, I had used hundreds of similar translucent five gallon jugs throughout my life. It was nice to see them recycled into art.


The above sign also shows one of my favorite gripes about the people around me. The vast majority of people I interact with daily, can rarely think beyond themselves or how their actions affect those around them. If they make this in t-shirt form, I would buy it.


It wasn't hell at all.


When we booked our D.C. VRBO, there were several that would sleep a group of 11 people comfortably but only one that I found which had a pool which was very nice to come back to every afternoon. Though I didn't swim in it ever, the five children swam themselves silly every afternoon. I used the time to find a secluded nook in the house to read a book and perhaps catch a nap before supper.

This is a view of the VRBO from the pool side. It had so many bedrooms because it had been added onto many times over the years. But the Chinese couple that owned it kept it in good repair and were very nice in showing up where everything was and then leaving us to our own devices for the next four nights and three days. Unlike the other VRBO rental, I gave them great reviews after we left.

Comments

  1. VBRO has been a new term to me, but that one looks very capacious. Glad you had a good experience there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ironically, after the fiasco with the previous VRBO with no reviews, I checked the reviews for this place upon our return and found them abysmal. Mostly people complained that it was dirty and that there was no gas in the BBQ grill. We found it very clean and didn't use the BBQ grill so gave it a great review. Our only problem was a chair that had a leg fall off when someone sat on it. I looked at it and it had obviously been "repaired" many times before and so I too "repaired" it before we left.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed all of this post, Ed. That photo with the tree is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have liked it better with a much more lush lawn down to the water's edge but it happened to be near a gap in the fence where people had been using it to access the tidal basin path.

      Delete
  3. A pool definitely gives kids lots to do whereas I (like you) would sit and enjoy a book. I loved the museums in DC and would buy a shirt with that version of America on it. Clever and so true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ruptured an ear drum when I was younger and despite repeated patching attempts, it has never fully healed. I can still hear alright but getting it wet has always caused me much uncomfort later. I bought a pair of ear plugs to try out sometime but forgot to bring them. I had a good book at the time anyway so remembering still might not have changed things.

      Delete
  4. Looks like that was the perfect place for your family. VRBO and Airbnb have become very competitive with each other, as evidenced by the TV commercials. VRBO says you'll always have your own place, no sharing (a dig at Airbnb). Airbnb has one that suggests how fun it is to get to know the owner of your own while you're staying in his/her guestroom. Of course, Airbnb has complete home rentals also. To me, it all depends on what you're looking for and if the price is right! (I didn't know about the FDR memorial! Will be on my list for my next visit.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't find any Airbnb rentals with enough beds/rooms for 11 people but I did search there. But I did find plenty of entire houses for smaller numbers of people on their platform.

      I have never stayed somewhere using airbnb and I'm not sure how I would like being with the owner too if I were just renting a room with my wife and kids. I think it would be more attractive is I was by myself and then company in the evening might be kind of nice.

      Delete
  5. You really did a great job in driving, parking, finding fun things to do and great places to stay. In Hawaii, we don't like VRBO or Airbnb in our neighborhoods. But, I can see how it really benefits visitors with large groups. It also benefits the owners financially, without regard to their neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really cognizant of being in a neighborhood and made sure we were quiet at all hours. I know how I would feel if my neighbors house became a VRBO party destination.

      Delete
  6. Nice that you seek out the interesting nooks, crannies, and points of view. I like your photos better than the standard tourist shots. I recall lots of interesting things as the Smithsonian, but as you say, the crowds put a damper on enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find the standard tourists shots always crowded and so try to find something unique.

      Delete
  7. Looks like DC treated you pretty well, Ed. The pool was definitely a smart call with the kiddos. We don't rent anything unless it has some sort of water feature like a pool or hot tub.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our kids are weird and don’t like swimming with others so water features is usually not on my radar. But since this was essentially a private pool, they were excited.

      Delete
  8. You struck lucky with that VRBQ place and congratulations on finding a house with a pool. I bet it cost you a month's wages! I like the simple AMERICA art installation. Makes you stop and think. Perhaps Trump should remove the A,R,I.C and A from those red baseball caps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a nice place! I bet the kids did like the pool! My daughter and her husband list their properties on both Air B and B and VRBO. They do not live at either property and my daughter strives to give her guests the best experience. Looks like you had quite a trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly opens up possibilities that may not have been possible with motels only.

      Delete
  10. That is an excellent place to come back to at the end of the day! I've never seen a VRBO with a pool before. The happiest kids are those who are too exhausted to complain. You did good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that! They were always in bed relatively early.

      Delete
  11. I've never seen that FDR memorial either. It's really touching. We'll have to look for it next time we get to D.C.
    Your VRBO home looked amazing! I'll have to mention VRBO to the kids whenever they get here and we decide to go to a neighboring island.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve heard AirBnB is better and now has entire house listings on the site. My experience with VRBO was only 50% but with only two rentals, I may have just been unlucky.

      Delete

Post a Comment