A New Project

 

The owner of the cabin I helped build earlier this year asked if I could make some cabinets as well. They are to be rustic and made out of pine. So I got some rustic looking plywood and spent a couple days making the carcasses for the lower cabinets. They will sit on a pedestal on the floor that I have yet to build which will form a toe kick like traditional cabinets. The one odd looking cabinet is the sink cabinet. The other three will have a drawer on top and cupboard space below. The countertop will be butcher block. 

It is really hot around here right now so I try to get up and started early in the morning while it is still cool and just work for a half day and then move onto other things in the afternoon. This has been working out thus far. Tomorrow, I am going to get material to make the face frame, the pretty part that covers up the exposed edges of plywood and on which the doors will eventually get hung. I will also pick up material to make the pedestal on which everything will sit. That should give me plenty to do while waiting for the drawer slides to arrive which I just placed an order for. 

Comments

  1. He asked the right person! I'm guessing it isn't difficult to find rustic looking plywood nowadays. :) Will they be stained or painted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just using wipe on clear polyurethane.

      Delete
  2. You are putting your skills to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like another great project, Ed, and this time for someone else. Look forward to tracking your progress yet again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a change of pace which I was needing.

      Delete
  4. I've said it before and I'll say it again...you are WAY handier than I am!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you walk farther with more enviable sights to see.

      Delete
  5. Custom made cabinets are always so nice. You do such good work, too, Ed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definitely made better than store bought.

      Delete
  6. Looking good, Ed. I can't wait to see how they turn out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't finished them yet though the carcasses have been installed. I hope to get a picture of them someday when they are completely together.

      Delete
  7. Nice start! -Jeff. https://fromarockyhillside.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are such an impressive carpenter, Ed! I'm just making a box with cardboard. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That takes talent too so don't sell yourself short!

      Delete
  9. It looks wonderful! I like the pine's grain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has it's place. In a small cabin, it looks really beautiful. In a modern house full of stone and glass, maybe not so much.

      Delete
  10. I thought I commented on how much I loved the grain of that pine. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did. Life got in the way and I was away from a computer for a couple days and wasn't able to get comments published in a reasonable time frame.

      Delete

Post a Comment