A Future With No Small Engines


I am not much of an engine mechanic. I may understand how to do a lot of things but making engines work is not my strong suit. So when the day came a couple weeks ago to do my annual engine maintenance, I wasn't looking forward to it. 

I have four small engines I need to tend. One in the snow blower, lawnmower, tiller and chainsaw. For the snow blower, it is the end of its season so I drain the gas, change the oil and do any adjustments to the business end of the unit. The lawnmower needs an oil and filter change as well as the blade sharpened. The tiller needs an oil change both for the engine and the gearbox. Finally the chainsaw doesn't need any oil changes though I try to run it out of gas and oil when I know it will be sitting unused for a long time.

Part of the reason I hate doing all this is because I have to locate four different manuals, and usually read through them multiple times to get all the pertinent information. For example, in three of the manuals, the amount of oil and the type of oil needed are written on two different pages! On some of them, I have taken to writing this information and page numbers on the covers of the manuals but I haven't yet done it for all of them. 

This year was the first year of maintenance for my lawnmower since I purchased it over winter a year ago. I looked through the manual and of course saw that it needed official John Deere Z530M oil. For those not in the know, that is just the model of the lawnmower and not an oil that is sold. So I drove to the store to find out what type of oil was needed and get an oil filter, but they sold me on their spring maintenance special which was going on right now. They will come pick it up, change all the fluids, sharpen the blades and return it within a week. Since I don't have a good way to sharpen or even jack up the mower to remove the blades, I took them up on it. It did fire right up so I could drive it up from my shed to the driveway. Spend a couple hours charging the battery had certainly crossed my mind but fortunately wasn't needed this time around.

I got the oil changed in the snow blower and tucked it out of the way in the corner of my garage so I can access other things more commonly needed during the summer months like garden hoses and a metal yard wagon which had resided in the same corner all winter long.

The tiller is down at the farm so I bought oil for it and will change it when I go down the next time. Last year I did it on a whipping windy cold day so I hope not to make that mistake again. 

The chainsaw is next though I didn't get to it today. I have a large branch that blew down recently in an area that I mow that I need to cut up and kick down into the ditch. Mostly I just mix up a fresh batch of gas, read the manual on the starting procedure which isn't intuitive but must be followed precisely if one doesn't want to flood out the engine and even then, I still flood it 50% of the time. It is supposed to be 60+ degrees here in two more days so I'm waiting for then to start that project. 

After that, it will all be done for the year. In the late fall, I will do the garage shuffle to get the snow blower accessible and other than airing up the tires, it will be ready to go. I will add some fuel stabilizer to the lawnmower and tiller and park them until next spring and the chainsaw, I just try to empty of fluids, pour any leftover oil mix gas in one of the vehicles to burn and leave the container accessible so I can make a fresh bath of fuel as needed. 

I will then breath a sigh of relief.

Comments

  1. You do tend your things in an exemplary manner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would rather just have them work when needed but they don't cooperate.

      Delete
  2. With how much you hate doing these tasks, I'm assuming you don't want to come over to my house and do some tune ups. I hate them, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would absolutely come down only if we could spend time hiking in the mountains and perhaps due the tune ups if there is any time left!

      Delete
  3. When we first married, my husband took a class in small engine repair. He takes care of most of his own maintenance, but knows when it's beyond his skillset. Plus... I've noticed the older he gets, the less he wants to do a lot of it himself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always thought it would be interesting and beneficial to take some sort of small engine repair class. When I was younger, it was an optional class in high school and you completely disassembled an engine and put it back together again over the course of the semester. Many a boy (don't recall any girls taking it) did so in hopes of turning a forgotten engine into a go cart. But it never worked into my academic plan unfortunately. If I do so sometime in my future, I'm sure it will be a coed class.

      Delete
  4. It does sound complicated. But once it's finished, I bet you feel a sense of relief and accomplishment. John has helped me (actually done) an oil change on my mower which is just a regular one (not a riding kind) and my weed whacker has batteries. You remind me that I do need to purchase some lawn mower gas though. The grass is growing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My weed whacker is electric also and I was never so happy to convert. Chainsaws are quickly becoming electric and my next one will probably be one. But tillers and riding lawnmowers still have a way to go yet before the day comes when I will be all electric.

      Delete
  5. Well that will keep you busy, Ed. A tiller and a chainsaw might be on my buying list later this year since we lost most of a tree and I have no idea what is going to happen to the yard so the rest of the tree might get chopped and the yard will get a new look too. Happy Easter and have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure how big of a tree or how many trees you have in your yard, but I would definitely consider an electric chainsaw over gas. The chainsaw is the worst of all my small engines to maintain and keep starting easily.

      Delete
  6. Busy man! That is what you get when you are so capable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate doing that stuff too. That's why we hire a lawn service!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not there yet, at least fully. I'm picking and choosing battles. But someday I might, especially if all electric isn't an option by then.

      Delete
  8. Tim discovered that hauling a chainsaw in the trunk of a car all winter (it's the 'work car') leads to big problems. We will not make that mistake again. Just a little tip, in case you've ever been inclined to haul a chainsaw around all winter in the trunk of a car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried that because mine leaks oil out the chain oiler port. I don't have a vehicle old enough to allow oil to drip out all winter long!

      Delete
  9. My husband puts stabil in everything before winter. I mow many acres and go through one set of mower blades a year. We have lots of sand and if it is in the grass...well that dulls the blades. My brother has a shop and a lift so when it it time for new blades he hoists it up and puts the new blades on for me...of course I mow three properties for him:) I like my electric power shovel very much:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use stabil in the lawnmower and tiller, both of which are not easily drained. For the snowblower and chainsaw, I prefer to empty them out when done so I can start with completely fresh gas. I have not seen an electric power shovel outside of your blog. It sort of looked like a mini snow blower on a stick. I can certainly see where it would be very nice to have one of those.

      Delete

Post a Comment