New Year's Eve


My wife trades off with others for days off around the two end of the year holidays, Thanksgiving and Christmas. This year was her year to work the days between Christmas and New Year so I hadn't been expecting to go anywhere. But we did. Let me explain.

I readily admit I'm a hard person to buy gifts for. In fact, I mostly request and get gift certificates to satisfy my book buying needs to keep me in books throughout the year. But for anything else, if it is something I already wanted, I probably would have obtained it during the rest of the year. My wife, however, not one to just lay down, wanted to give me a gift and so settled on an experience. She bought me a package experience to visit one of my favorite musical groups of all time, The Nadas. Actually, she didn't buy me anything but printed out the form and said if I was interested, I could buy a package and she would go with me. I was and we did because it fell on a Saturday night when she was off work as normal.

I tell people I went to college with the two founding members of The Nadas. That is the truth though I never knew them personally when we were there and before they dropped out to pursue music full time. I was at one of their initial "concerts" and have gone to dozens of their concerts throughout the years. I've seen them morph from a wanna-be band to a house band at a college bar to being a somewhat known band that travels throughout the Midwest and has been written up in articles in such magazines as Playboy as the best band you've never heard. (I wasn't aware that Playboy had articles but apparently they do.) The last time I saw them was sometime after we were first married and before our oldest was born which is means it was nearly 20 years ago.

The experience was a package deal. For the price we paid, we got a hotel room, supper, a New Year's Eve concert with 6 free drinks and a glass of Champaign as midnight approached. The following day, it also included brunch with the band followed by another short set before we checked out and went home. Since it was happening on a Saturday evening and was halfway across the state, we combined a trip to see my grandmother ahead of that and so left early Saturday morning.

The trip to see my grandmother was a nice one. Modern medicine and my aunt now taking over the dispensing of pills have left my grandmother in a very lucid state and so we had a great conversation. She wanted to go out to lunch at a chain restaurant called Pizza Ranch which is essentially a pizza buffet sort of joint. Being this was the first time we had eaten out in well over a month, I finally was able to continue with Mom's holiday tradition of tipping a waiter/waitress with a $100 bill. In this case I gave it to the young lady who kept picking up our emptied plates from the table. I slipped it to her casually with a Happy Holiday's greeting and she accepted it without hesitation. But then she hesitated and opened it up to look at it again with a confused look on her face. My wife following behind me, told her to enjoy it and you could see the look of happiness cross her face again. I knew we had selected wisely once again to pass on our good fortunate to others. 

We checked into the hotel later that evening and I took a brief power nap as it has been many years since I had actually stayed up until midnight. I had been worried about being the oldest people in the crowd and was shocked to be one of the youngest. The majority of the crowd, (very small since the hotel was blocked off to anyone else except concert goers and the only way to attend the concert was to book a room) comprised mostly of people 20 years my senior. In fact, they didn't know squat about the band but had just booked the experience as something to do on New Year's Eve. There were perhaps a handful of other couples our age who got up during the second set of the evening and spent it right up next to the band dancing and having a great time. A few times during that second set, I felt like that college student who had nursed one beer the entire night so I could afford to listen to their music. To say we had a great time is a gross understatement.

The next morning we had brunch and they got back up to play a third much shorter set. They asked for requests. As most of the younger couples weren't there, apparently still hung over from the night before, it was just us and the crowd of people 20 years our senior who didn't know any of their songs. So out of the six songs they sang, four were requested by my wife. She got a "fourfer" as one of the founding members said. They thanked everyone at the end of the set and we left, checked out and drove home listening to a shuffled mix of their songs courtesy of the music app and all of their albums having already been uploaded on my smartphone for years. 

It was one of the best Christmas gifts I have gotten in years.



Comments

  1. What a great present for "the man who has everything"! Your wife scored a hit there - much better than a book token. By the way, you probably didn't realise that there were articles in "Playboy" because you were too busy checking out the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I listed to a bit of one of their songs, and will perhaps go back and listen to more later; they have a nice, "folky" sound, so I approve. Of course, I'm also in favor of all things Iowa, so they get a couple of points for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, one of the founders has 90's rock influences and Jason, the other founder is much more into folk. Some of their earlier work was very bipolar in those regards and easy to pick out which one wrote which but as they have aged, they have blended their work into a folk rock sound that I really live.

      Delete
  3. I am also hard to buy for. In fact, this year, I couldn’t even come up with suggestions. We were gifted the Disney channel for a year, but I am not sure that there is much there for me. We started The Mandalorian, and maybe I should give it another chance, but I don’t know.

    Otherwise, I must confess that until now I have Nothing about the Nadas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The recommendation I give everyone who gets Disney+ is to watch the musical Hamilton. Being Canadian, it might not mean so much to you but it is still one of the best musicals ever in my opinion.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a great experience Ed! This is something that The Ravishing Mrs. TB suggested after Christmas this year, doing an experience rather than shopping for gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we will be doing more of these in the future too.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you had a great New Year Eve... Our plans fell through as my COVID symptoms returned. I'm still testing positive although my wife is now negative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope you too will kick the symptoms shortly and return to an immune life... for a short time. My short time has now run out and so I plan on getting the next booster here tomorrow.

      Delete
  6. That sounds like a great (and memorable) outing! It's especially cool that you've followed this band for years. Do they shout "Hey Ed!" from the stage?! Glad you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, I doubt they recognize me in a crowd but they might remember me from their social media followers.

      Delete
  7. The gift of experiences shared is so special! It sounds like both of you had a wonderful time. One of the members of Death Cab for Cutie graduated from my high school and I had his brother as a student. That's as close as I get to a band. :) I've never been to one of their concerts but my daughter has. Glad you had such a NYE to remember and treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was a fun evening, for both of us.

      Delete
  8. I'm glad y'all had such a fun experience! Sadly, our usual plans (for 30+ years) with two other couples fell through due to health problems . I hope it's not a sign of things to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a few people stuck home this past holiday due to health, namely Covid or some other virus that has been circulating. I can't wait to get these things past us... if we can.

      Delete
  9. Great gift, great wife! Great way to start the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a clever Christmas gift! You have a very, very smart wife! The best gifts are those that can be shared with the ones we love.

    I'm glad to hear your grandmother is doing so well. That's always a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time is running short but at least the quality of life is still there.

      Delete
  11. What a great gift idea! You are so very fortunate to have that time with your grandma as well. The weekend sounds like it would be a hard one to top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as experiences go, I'm sure we can come up with better with more thought and time.

      Delete
  12. Wow! I'm impressed. Now what can your wife possibly gift you with next year to come close to what she did this year. I'm afraid I've never heard of Nada. I shall have to look them up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know the answer but there are only 356 days to find out!

      Delete
  13. I am also very hard to buy for and I don't like surprises. Your wife did it perfectly and just as I would prefer, in that she gave you the option of going. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly worked out. It would have been a bummer though had it been sold out by the time I opened it on Christmas morning.

      Delete

Post a Comment