How Does Your Garden Grow


 This past weekend we made a trip down to the farm to do some weeding and plant some corn and more trees for our orchard. We were pleasantly surprised to see that all the beans were up, except for the first 2/3rds of the first row. I'm not sure if we forgot to plant it or they just ended up deeper and hadn't made it up yet. I should know the answer to that question this coming weekend.

Our peas are growing but I'm not expecting much from them since we planted them pretty late. But we do have a week of unseasonably cool temperatures coming so perhaps there is some hope.


It is hard to see but our potatoes were almost all up. Last year was our first year planting potatoes since my childhood and we enjoyed them so much that we are doing them again this year.


This picture shows where the three trees I planted last spring were located. If you recall, we had a really wet spring last year and I think all the moisture did them in. When I pulled them up, there were no fine roots at all. All that remained were the larger roots so I suspect the finer roots just rotted with the moisture and caused the tree to die. Fortunately these trees were all warrantied and so we drove up and got our replacements for them.


However before I could replace the replacement trees, I noticed one of our pear trees that we planted last fall was broken into two pieces. I'm not sure what caused it to break. It has elastic tree hold downs to keep it from blowing over tied right above the break. Since the previous week, the leader branch on one of the other two pear trees had been broken off, I suspect a large hawk or other bird is the cause. The other tree will survive but this one leaned to one side in such a way that the elastic hold down ties pulled it on over. I suppose I could have also snagged one of the hold downs with the lawn mower but after a year of mowing around them without incident and the fact that as I go around, I'm always staring at the hold downs so I don't get the metal stake into the blade, I'm not sure that is what happened.

Whatever the case, out of the six trees we planted last year, only two remain.


Fortunately we have three replacements and to prove that we weren't hoodwinking them, we bought a fourth at full price so we are now back up to six again in our orchard. The two closest to the camera are the replacement plumcot trees and the two in the middle are sour cherry. One is a replacement and the other one we bought at full price. In the back are the two remaining pear trees. Way in the back are the tree spots where we planted the previous trees last spring that died. We are going to let that go fallow for now and perhaps plant some apple trees there when we can find some on sale somewhere.

One of these days, we are going to have a nice orchard.

Comments

  1. What beautiful land! You are enhancing it with those trees and your future orchard. My older daughter's father-in-law is after me to come back to Iowa for the Fair in August--which opens on my birthday. I'm undecided at the moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez I'm very sorry about the trees Ed, I remember you planting them like it was a couple months ago. Do you have the right soil & climate for them where you are? Growing up on our farm (in southwestern Pa) we had a pretty nice orchard that we actually tended to very little. HEY--this won't let me comment with my Blogger ID! It's me--Doug from ApacheDug's Teepee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a great climate for growing such things as apples, pears, cherries, plums, etc. On the outer edge is peaches which we can grow but the trees are generally short lived. Back when we got married, instead of giving people gifts to attend our wedding, we planted an orchard in their honor. That orchard did great except for the heavy deer pruning it received. So our hope is to duplicate that but with a fence now to prevent the deer damage.

      Delete
  3. I hope they all do well. Our pears and peaches are both looking good this year, but I've learned from experience not to count my fruit until it's picked and in my kitchen. -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've learned that lesson the hard way too. Except for one apple tree and one pear tree at another farm, all our trees are still young enough that there won't be enough fruit to preserve beyond eating what they produce fresh. But hopefully in a handful of years, that will start to change.

      Delete
  4. You will have a nice orchard, indeed. You obviously have a gift of being patient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been labeled as patient more than once. I guess I am though I don't think I am mentally patient, I just appear on the outside as thus. But looking long term, we hope to at least pick fruit when we no longer feel able to keep up with a garden.

      Delete
  5. The garden looks good Ed - but how frustrating on the trees. It is something I should consider getting more knowledge of. I need to plant more at The Ranch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should. They truly are a gift that keeps on giving.

      Delete
    2. We have had so many late frosts. We had one just last week. I don't think we're going to see much fruit on the trees in my neck of the woods.

      Delete
    3. We didn’t get any late frosts this year, the latest one being mid April. But we had well below normal temperatures for about three weeks after that. Our fruit trees have fruit forming so for now, things are looking okay.

      Delete

Post a Comment