Day Twelve: Thunder River/Deer Creek Traverse

 

Sunset & Approaching Storm

Morning dawned with a crystal clearness not seen outside of the arid western lands. We ate some breakfast burritos with eggs and hash browns, packed a sack lunch and did a quick splash in the dories to Tapeats Creek where six of us and some of the crew were dropped off for a hike downstream via several rivers and a couple passes. The rest would take the dories and meet with us downstream later.

Tapeats Creek

We hiked up Tapeats Creek and were forced to cross it twice and only with great difficulty. Once involved us forming a human chain to give the weaker members of us something to hold onto as they crossed the waist deep water roaring downstream. We made it to the junction of Tapeats Creek and Thunder River and from there, it was almost straight up. Thunder River was one continuous maelstrom of white froth as its fall was equal to or greater than its run. After 500 feet of altitude gain, we finally came upon the source of Thunder River, a mammoth spring pouring out of the red wall cliff and crashing down 50 or 60 feet below.

Thunder River



Thunder River Spring

After eating our lunch, we climbed another 1000 or so feet up and over a pass to a big valley aptly named Surprise Valley since it runs parallel to the river and is thus surprising to find. The hike through the valley was a very hot, dry march and full of prickly desert rose bushes. By the time we climbed over the second small pass and began to descend, everyone was either bleeding or were picking spines out of their flesh. I was doing both.

We dropped down into Deer Creek, which began life as another spring pouring out of the red rock into the valley below. Like dusty forgotten mops, we all fell into the water and absorbed way more than I thought I ever could. I climbed up behind the waterfall where it was hollowed out a bit and sat in the shade absorbing even more through the misting spray. As we continued down, the water carved a beautiful and deep slot canyon. As we hiked the rim of this slot canyon on a very narrow trail, to narrow to pass each other safely, it was slow going for every corner we stopped to take a picture of it that we deemed more beautiful than the last corner.

Deer Creek Spring



Deer Creek

In places, there were Anasazi handprints on the rock due to their belief that this was the seventh and final place where you were tested after death before you were allowed to reach the afterlife. They had to leap across the canyon and the hands were there to help you. Lee told the story of his younger days after having too much to drink perhaps, deciding to jump across for himself. He ran for all he was worth and leapt in the air at the perfect point at the very edge of the canyon, instantly knowing that there would be no way in hell that he would even come close to making the jump. He said midway as he hurtled downwards certain broken bones and possible death, he felt something grab him and pull him across. He said nothing ever sobered him up quicker than that feeling and he swears that those handprints hold some sort of power. The sincerity in his voice as he told me this was hard not to believe.

Anasazi Handprints

We hiked on down to the river where we were the dories were waiting and floated a 1/2 mile downstream to a camp at mile 136.5 on a beach near some overhanging cliffs. Mary gave me an "extra" beer and I decided to enjoy it while taking a bath. I found a nice private sand beach upstream and did just that. Our camp tonight is a beautiful sand beach with an overhanging cliff on the downstream side. After everyone settles down and if the spot is still taken, I aim to camp underneath the overhang tonight just for the novelty of it.

As supper was being prepared, I sat in a chair and watched a beautiful sunset on the cliffs upstream and a natural arch downstream near Cranberry Canyon. For supper we had noodles and stir-fry that was excellent as usual. Per our habit, we built a little fire after supper and sat around swapping stories until late in the evening. The overhang was vacant and I update my journal from there now.

Above Lower Deer Creek Falls



Comments

  1. I have hiked down to Thunder Falls and ran out of water in Surprise Valley. I was never so happy as when I got to the bottom of the falls and dropped in the water and let it pour into my mouth from above. Beautiful photos? Did you see any rattlesnakes here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't on this hike but saw several during the course of this trip. As I recall, most of the time I saw them were in the early morning hours as they were warming up on rocks. During the heat of the day, I'm assuming they were cooling in the shade of the rocks I walked over.

      It is neat to know we probably walked on the same path for a ways. Do you remember what year that was you made that hike?

      Delete
    2. It was between 1998 and 2001 and late in the season, October, but I would have to go back to old journals to find the actual date.. It was freezing on the rim where we camped the night before, then 102 in the bottom on the canyon. . I lived in Cedar City from 93 - 2004, which wasn't far north

      Delete
    3. Well I did this in April/May of 2000, within your time range so we may not have missed each other by a lot. Small world!

      Delete
  2. Ed, this makes think of the idea that although we can go on many "vacations", there some that are experiences that change us. This sound like one of them. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely changed me for a long time afterwards and perhaps still some to this day. Sitting here and rereading these posts on the morning they post always takes me right back into the moment and I can feel almost like I am there again. Those memories are still deeply etched into my brain and haven't eroded with time like other memories have.

      Delete
  3. I never considered that there could be springs like that un like any little oozes that I have seen. That creek/canyon was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure that is the biggest spring I have ever seen to this day.

      Delete
  4. Such gorgeous and other worldly photos. I sometimes imagine that this is what another planet might look like I LOVE breakfast burritos. I'm wondering if I have any tortillas around! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The variety of textures on this earth always amaze me.

      Delete

Post a Comment