Day Fifteen: Alive Below Lava (ABL)

 

Ote Below Lava

Sitting in the front of the dory boat along with Jurgen the elder German, we silently drifted downstream towards the lip of Lava Falls. Beyond the lip all that I could see was leaping white froth that seemed to be waving us towards our doom like sailors to a siren. My hands were locked onto the gunnel railing and for a second, I looked at them fascinated by the how white and insignificant they looked. The boat started picking up speed as we edged over the lip and slip down the tongue towards the first wave that wickedly towered above us. The boat climbed half way up the wave before the weight of the German and myself combined drove it into the interior of the wave.

The icy cold water took my breath away and the loud roar was abruptly dampened as I hung on and waited for the boat to punch out the backside of the wave. The water continued tossing me around like I was inside a washing machine but I continued to hang on for what seemed like an eternity. I was just about to let go and swim for freedom, certain that we had flipped over when we suddenly emerged into daylight. I gasped for breath as the boat with another half ton of water added to its weight, groaned and slid down the backside of the wave into a water trough so deep that the gates of Hades had to be nearby. With all the additional weight, the boat didn't even pretend to go over the second and much bigger wave and just dove into the immense face. Again I hung on and contemplated life inside a washing but once again we punched out into daylight and slid down into the trough heading for yet a third wave. Once more into the wash cycle and once more we lurched into daylight.

The wave train ahead started getting smaller and the boat full of water, passengers and gear was now able to lurch over them like a drunk on a roadside curb. We were through! I wasn't going to die after all! I had survived the mother of all rapids! Wait. Through my euphoria-laced brain, I heard this scream piercing my mind that sounded almost primeval and not of this world. I looked around searching for the source when I realized that it was coming from the German. No wait, it was also coming from the couple in back. Wait, I was yelling too! Then it hit me, we were all yelling in euphoria at having cheated death. We were alive!

Yet another primeval scream of "Bail!" pierced my other scream already in progress and once again I started searching for a source to this new sound and saw Ote straining at the oars trying to eddy us out as the boat lurched full of water over waves still six feet tall. It still took a few seconds for my brain to process that it wasn't over yet and that we still could tip over if we didn't get some more freeboard by lightening the load and once id did register, I grabbed the bailer and started bailing the water like a man on a sinking ship who didn't know how to swim. The other passengers quickly caught on, helped with the bailing and soon our boat was riding much higher and we were pulling into shore.

Boat running Lava from loooong way away. Note the finger of black rock jutting into the river from the left above the whiteness of the river. Below that dark finger of rock is a tiny yellow dot in the middle of the white rapids. That is a 25 x 8 feet wife yellow baggage raft in the middle of all that chaos.

Ote told us to get out while she oared back ready to help if any of the three other dories or two rafts behind us flipped over. I grabbed my camera and scrambled upstream stumbling over the sharp lava rocks that cut my legs like razors in an attempt to get some pictures of the remaining boats coming through the rapids. After all the boats had safely made it through Lava and were pulling towards shore, I walked back downstream to the beach where everyone was gathering. The euphoric high was starting to wear off and I finally noticed blood dripping down from a half dozen wounds on my legs. I still had enough of that high not to care so I took an offered beer, popped the top and held it up as we toasted our survival in the dory boat tradition. We were ABL, Alive Below Lava.

When the celebrations died down, we floated on down the river to mile 185-1/2 where we made camp for the night on a huge sand bar. After the initial flurry of setting up camp or tossing my gear in a pile, as was my case, we all kept talking about Lava and the nine people who would be leaving us tomorrow. Because of my journal writing, I was designated group address note taker, so I walked around getting everyone's personal information so that I could send it out after everyone went back to their regular lives.

The crew mixed up some cocktails and an avocado dip to munch on while we waited for the preparation of a beef and chicken enchilada dinner complete with rice and a cake to celebrate Jorge's birthday. After supper, the traditional Lava Follies, or skit show put on by crew and clients alike, began around a roaring fire. There were poems, songs, jokes and stories told by all. Ote read a speech given by Chief Seattle that was absolutely beautiful and since everyone was curious about what I wrote in my journals, I read today's excerpt about Lava. The crew then handed out awards (chucks of lava rock), commemorating the identifiable trait of each client. I received the Harvey Butchart award for hiking every mile of every hike and then some.

After the follies, I stayed up late into the night with some of the crew swapping jokes and reveling in the day. Clouds started moving in but we were all full of sunny cheer at having cheated the river one more time and more importantly, surviving to tell about it.


Customary Beer Below Lava Falls

Comments

  1. What an accomplishment! I can imagine the euphoric feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a freeing feeling knowing the worst was now behind me.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a perfect day. I had to go read Chief Seattle's speech and I am so moved. How do I go about a regular day after reading that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to google it up again as I have forgotten most of it. But if I wrote it down in my journal, it moved me back then.

      Delete
  3. Kids now don't realize the effort that went into staying in touch with people in the past.... actually writing down names, addresses, and phone numbers, then making the effort to write or call them! -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not much came of my effort to do that. But I still have them in that old journal in case they are needed.

      Delete
  4. Phew! Of course I knew you were going to make it but I was still afraid for you. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the disadvantages of writing about past events.

      Delete
  5. I've seen Lava Falls from above, at Toroweep. It sounds like a thrill.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm trying to imagine being 'crew' and doing that regularly. I am afraid it still does not sound like fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really depends on water levels. I think at higher water levels it is much easier to run. But when I did it, water levels were really low which exposed more rocks making it much harder to run and remain upright.

      Delete
  7. I wouldn't mind the water as much as the danger of the rocks. VERY scary, all of it! But also exciting to challenge nature and WIN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the low water that year, rocks were more of a problem than normal.

      Delete

Post a Comment