New Year Snow

For probably the first time I can remember anyway, we ended last year without any snow at all. We've had plenty of brown Christmas' over the years but never have we gone this long without at least some snow that melted right away. So our reward was to get pounded on New Year's day with an old fashioned blizzard. We spent the day downstairs in front of the fireplace reading, napping and playing games. I wish we got similar blizzards more often. The above picture in the patio outside our basement family room and underneath the deck on the backside of the house. I was experimenting with taking a "slow exposure" with my smart phone and this was one of the failed attempts. It supposedly can be done with some sort of an algorithm and a "live photo" but I think I need something in motion more obviously than snow. The tarped object is my woodpile, now probably eight years old and much reduced in size but with plenty more where it came from.


After the blizzard, I took a photo from the bedroom window, not wanting to venture out in the cold that never made it into positive temperature territory.


As you can see above, more firewood is available should I ever run out of the several year supply still underneath the deck above. Behind the stack is a large pile yet remaining to be split and as  you can see, the main part of the derecho tree still needs some chain sawing and splitting too. I finally got all the debris picked up and piled in two different piles which I hope to burn in the weeks to come. Cutting up the rest of the tree however, will probably wait for a while yet.

Comments

  1. We also didn't have anything but maybe 3 flurries before January 3... They say this weekend we might get flurries or we might have 12-24 inches :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last night they were calling for 3 inches here but this morning as much as 8 out of that same storm but Friday night/Saturday morning.

      Delete
  2. We've only had one snowfall so far in Pittsburgh, last week. But it was only 2 inches, nothing like yours. It's weird, we're used to much more. It's nice seeing your greenhouse there in the background, Ed 🙂👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't get our normal fall rains last year so are very dry. If we continue to get very little snow this year, it isn't shaping up to be a very good spring for farmers.

      Delete
  3. Ed, I have to admit one of the best days of recent memory was when I was back at The Ranch and it had snowed. Other than the loss of power for work (an inconvenience quickly remedied) there is something about looking out at the perfect snow from inside that does good things for my soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find those sorts of days really recharging to my system.

      Delete
  4. Looks great, especially when you are tucked inside and cozy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it would have a much different meaning outside in a tent!

      Delete
  5. This has been the driest fall/winter I can remember in a long, long time. I don't think I've ever seen our pond this low this time of year.

    I'll enjoy your lovely snow through your photos since I doubt we get any this year. Last winter's might have been our allotment for a decade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are definitely short on water here too. It might be a pretty bleak spring for the farmers.

      Delete
  6. I am "snowed out" after our December cold and accumulation. And ICE. (ugh) It does look pretty and it's fun to be cozy in the house with hot drinks, books and games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From watching the national news, you've had your share this year, perhaps taking ours too. I'm fine with that as long as you send some rain come spring.

      Delete
  7. the best thing to do during a blizzard is hunker down. Sometimes it's not possible to stay in so out we go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We try to stay in because down here anyway, it can be warm enough in a blizzard for the roads to get extremely icy.

      Delete
  8. Given our climate zone, we've had continuous cover since some time in December, but we haven't had a big snowfall yet, which is unusual. Last I looked, I couldn't see any in the forecast either although we have had a few light falls -- skiffs, if you will. Thanks for your reply btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are forecasted to get another fairly sizable snow here in another day as it goes on to make havoc on our eastern seaboard. I'm always willing to answer questions, especially when it comes to genealogy.

      Delete
  9. Quite a bit of snow! What's been walking around out there by the wood pile? Deer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! In fact if I had waited for a week after the snow fell before snapping the photo, you would see a path of beaten down snow made by deer some ten feet wide and stretches across the entire 3 acres of my property. They are as thick as flies on a summer picnic. If I think about it after the next snow, I'll try to take some photos to illustrate this point.

      Delete
  10. We got quite a bit of snow during Christmas and after New Years. It also stuck around for awhile because it was so darn cold. It let me catch up on some TV shows I wanted to watch. Hope the hunkering down is going well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is though round two of hunkering will start in a couple of hours.

      Delete
  11. That picture of the trees from under your deck is cool. I'd crop out the foreground. The trees look like a Japanese painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the best I could while staying inside near the fireplace!

      Delete
  12. Wow! You really got a LOT of snow. My son and family had a great time playing in the snow last week. It was bothersome for Art when we got too much snow in Illinois because he'd have to scrape the snow off the roof so we wouldn't get ice damming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That hasn’t been much of an issue here but always worries me.

      Delete

Post a Comment