It wouldn't be a full blown project without change orders and this project is no exception. Had I just done it right to start with, I wouldn't be faced with a change order but lets not dwell on that. I got things framed up and my wife and I were doing a walk through when we both noticed that there weren't any windows on the side of the greenhouse with the door. A quick look at my plans showed that I had put windows on either side of the door but neglected to put them in. So I got out the sawsall and rejiggered things so that there is now a window on either side of the door. These will just be fixed plexiglass windows but will add to the light inside.
With the window openings framed up, I began sheathing the outside of the building which was miserable since after weeks without hardly any precipitation, we got an inch last night which made the clay up next to the foundation a slippery sticky mess. I made it one row around two and a half sides and called it a day. I still have four more sheets but will run short so I placed an order for a few more. While waiting on those, I will work on figuring out how I'm going to install a large beam across the entire thing and swing rafters into place with me, myself and I to help out. I've got an idea so we'll see.
For the sharp eyed among you, I just overlapped the plywood across the window openings in the greenhouse for now. I will cut them flush at some point before I install the windows.
Good catch! It always pays to periodically compare the work to the original plans!ReplyDelete
I'm not sure how it escaped my attention but it did. I'm just glad it didn't escape my wife's attention until it was much harder to correct.Delete
That seems like something that I would do. I tend to be very imprecise.ReplyDelete
I chalk it up as over exertion. What I am tiring out, I find myself making mental errors like that more frequently and know it is a sign to quit, regroup and come out fresh the next day.Delete
Ed, on the bright side you found it now, not later. Later is always more expensive.ReplyDelete
For sure, and a bit harder trying to work around things you don't want to damage.Delete
I'm amazed how far you've come Ed, since apparently you're doing this on your own. Hey aren't those plywood sheets overlapping the--just kidding! So far it looks really good! :^)ReplyDelete
Always the joker Doug! I just got back inside from cutting the overlapped part off so it looks better now in present time. Stay tuned!Delete
To get that tricky beam in place may I suggest that you hire an elephant? I am sure that there are several elephant hire businesses in Iowa. Failing that, contact The Incredible Hulk.ReplyDelete
In the end, it just took a few scrap boards screwed into place and lifting the beam up in four sections before making it all one piece. It wasn't all that hard to do really.Delete
It's always good to have someone to double check things. Glad that it got fixed! It is taking shape quickly--or so it seems to me. (probably not so much to you though)ReplyDelete
My enthusiasm for the project is a bit thin these days.Delete
Stick building is a challenge . You get what you are capable of . Yes, put in lots of window.ReplyDelete
One thing about stick building, it can be a fairly solo operation as nothing is too heavy until it is added to the main building.Delete
Good thing you caught the missing window when you did!ReplyDelete
Yeah, it would have been a real pain in my backside to have to cut and frame it out after the fact.Delete
Wow. You're going at this hammer and tongs!ReplyDelete
I have never heard that expression before. But it makes me want to go out it with an automatic forge hammer instead!Delete
This is so much fun! I wish we were there to watch! I’m loving your photos. I need to show this to Art. He will be so impressed.ReplyDelete
I'm sure this would be well within Art's wheelhouse too. He seems pretty handy.Delete