Reverse Dentistry

 


What a week to start a project like this. Within 60 minutes of starting to work on this at 6:30 a.m., I am soaked with sweat just as if I had just come out of a swimming pool. I move slowly and the breeze helps but it doesn't take long before I am completely dehydrated and in need of a fresh set of clothes. I have gotten the cracks all sealed to prevent concrete from oozing out the bottom of the forms and now need to pound in a lot more stakes and do bracing on the back side especially. Concrete is very heavy and exerts a lot of force. I am also going to see about getting a load of sand delivered while the ground is dry to help level out the interior of the form so not as much concrete is needed. The rest of the week is supposed to be just as hot so work sessions will be early in the morning and short in duration. Then we have a few days off for one last vacation before school starts and then the following week is supposed to be 15 degrees cooler on average so I hope to finish up everything and get in touch with my concrete guy. Maybe by September, I will be able to start framing.

Comments

  1. Ed, this is my problem with summer projects here as well. If we are not done by 10 AM, it will not get done that day.

    It does look nice and green though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things have browned up nicely since I took that photo!

      Delete
  2. We had a new roof put on our house last week. They began by 6:00 each morning and stopped before lunch. Miserably hot work.

    Don't let yourself dehydrate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine working on top of an asphalt roof during this!

      Delete
  3. I'm exhausted even reading this. I don't do well in the heat; I'm not used to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not as good at working in it as I was when I was younger. Nor am I as inclined!

      Delete
  4. It will all be worth it when it is done. btw, what are the temperatures out there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I wrote this post, I think it was in the low 90's but the humidity was pretty near 100%. The latter is what really takes it out of me.

      Delete
  5. Yeah. I was thinking as I was reading that September might be a good month to do this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With my luck, it will be an early winter!

      Delete
  6. I wouldn't use sand but use tamped crushed limestone - it won't shift as easily as sand

    ReplyDelete
  7. You will cool off. It was 3 C this morning in my town in Alberta Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know a lot more about these things than I do but don't you need to dig out the turf inside your frame before the concrete is poured in? I thought you would have to sink it slightly below ground.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am longing for cooler weather, but living here ain't nothing like the GA coast! Looks like a nice sized shed

    ReplyDelete
  10. I shall love seeing the process of you building this. I’m in awe of your talents.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OK, I showed it to Art and he is totally 100% impressed. I think he’d love to come and see you build it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment