Saving Seeds

 


As I mentioned last week, a post not long ago by Kevin over at An English Homestead, inspired me to save some seeds, especially tomato seeds. Last year was my first year of planting Amish paste tomatoes which are especially good for canning as they are very meaty and have quite excellent flavor. They also yield about twice as much canned tomato product since they don't have to be cooked down forever to remove all the water. I liked them so much, that I bought more seed that I planted this year. Buying seed only became an option two years ago with completion of our greenhouse build. Before that, we had to buy tomatoes with everyone else at the local plant nursery which didn't carry such exotics like Amish paste. Mostly they carried hybrids designed for slicing and eating on sandwiches and only if we were lucky, could we get a few poor looking roma tomatoes that everyone else had picked through. 

While buying seed is still an option and it isn't very expensive, Amish paste are open pollenating tomatoes which means their seed can be saved and so after reading Kevin's post on the subject, I read up on it myself and started my own seed saving project. Above I selected about six of the nicest most perfect Amish tomatoes I could find, cut them in half around the equator, and scooped the seeds and liquid pulp out of the pockets in each half of the tomato. I put them in a mason jar covered in plastic rap with a few slots cut in the top and set it in our dark pantry for three days. This is to allow the seeds to cure or mimic what nature does when a ripe tomato falls onto the ground and marinates as it rots. Doing this will supposedly increase germination rates and allow you to save them for up to five years.

That turned out to be a good fruit fly trap as well, note to self, so after three days, I drowned the collection of fruit flies in the liquid and then rinsed everything a few times. I would fill the far with cold water, let it set for a minute to let the good seeds sink to the bottom, and then pour off the top water/pulp/bad seeds. After a few times of doing this, I cleaned out the majority of the pulp and hopefully bad seeds.

I next put them in a small strainer and finished rinsing them and removing a few heavier pieces of pulp that hadn't floated to the top. I let them drain a bit in the strainer to let excess moisture drip off.

I them dumped them onto a piece of paper to dry. It is recommended not to use paper towels and based upon my experiences in the past, I agree. Seeds tend to stick to paper towels after drying and the towel will leave behind a residue on the seed coating. I read that by using a piece of paper, this will be prevented.


Comments

  1. Thrifty! We'll see how well they sprout. I hadn't heard of not using paper towels to dry them, but I suppose that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have saved pumpkin seeds in the past and dried them off on paper towels and it results in a horrible mess. I'm not sure it prevents them from germinating and growing due to how a pumpkin seed splits open when sprouting but I didn't want to risk it with tomato seeds.

      Delete
  2. We must try to remember this post and see what the yield will be next year. (I imagine that you'll remember and I won't.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now, I am leaning towards planting six seeds in the greenhouse and only planting three plants total and give the other three away. But the best laid plans of mice and men....

      Delete
  3. We often save seeds (and normally use a paper plate), but I honestly just prefer buying plants. Even our local Walmart carries many of the heirloom varieties we like. I think my favorite is the Cherokee Purple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked for a paper plate but couldn't find one but had this handy piece of paper available from a pad my youngest and I were using to score our gin rummy games.

      I have avoided stepping into Walmart for the last 30 years or so for any of my personal shopping needs. I would have a spotless record if not for my grandparents who insisted I buy their necessities at Walmart when they were still living across town. Thus we only have a couple grocery stores that build large poly tunnels in the spring but their plants are often diseased and riddled with pests. The only remaining option is a tree/plant nursery which has better quality plants but is overrun by early garden plant hunters so there is never much in the way of options by the time I show up.

      Delete
  4. Please send me some of your seeds, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I recall correctly, sending or taking seeds that can grow food is illegal.

      Delete
  5. As always, you're very innovative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's an interesting process. I hope it works well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how willing you are to experiment with new things. I sure hope it works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't a great time or financial loss if it doesn't but it gives me something to anticipate when spring arrives.

      Delete
  8. Three cheers for seed saving. There's something extra rewarding about harvesting food from one's own saved seed plants. I'll be interested in how these do for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too, even if I'm only supposed to plant a few tomato plants next year.

      Delete
  9. Good luck, Ed. Based on your garden bounty this year, I think you are going to have some amazing tomatoes next year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't have any amish paste this year and since I tend to buy seeds locally and not via mail order, didn't have any. I assumed because I have a mixed variety of plants, I couldn't save the seeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as they were self pollinating, you could but your tomatoes may cross with each other. Perhaps your own special hybrid.

      Delete

Post a Comment