Heat Breaks, Garden Update

 

After three days of oven like heat, I finally made it out to the garden early one morning. Above is our sweetcorn patch that got blown completely flat earlier this summer during a summer storm. Slowly, some of it has stood back upright a bit but much of it is tangled and still horizontal. I thought it might kill it off since the stalks appeared to have snapped, but evidently enough fibers still connect it as it has stayed green and continues to develop ears. Finding the ears is a challenge but we've picked several messes of it already and there is still more left. Due to the horizontal nature of the ears, only the side facing up to the sky pollinated really well so the side facing the dirt can be a bit sparse in places. It won't win a beauty pageant but it tastes good. Thus far, the raccoons either haven't found it or haven't breached my electrified fence.

Above is our okra and Japanese eggplant. The okra was the only thing we planted from saved seed from our previous garden, and as it has a tendency to do, it is overwhelming us with okra right now. Our winter gumbos will be delightful this year. The eggplant is also doing very well. We like the Japanese variety which is still quite easy to give away any excess that we can't eat. We eat the eggplant in various forms three or four times a week this time of year.


Above is our test to try and raise Brussel sprouts. We raised some years ago but didn't get much of a yield and the heads weren't very tight. We thought perhaps it was because of the previous four years of drought and lack of water. There are lots of little heads formed and they are slowly filling out but the jury is still out as to whether we will be more successful this year when they have had plenty of moisture. On a side note, before the heat wave I took down all the netting one day and mowed around the edges of the garden and on either side of the Brussel sprouts to knock down any weeds and to mulch up the remains of our bean, potatoes and onion patches. It makes the garden look nicer and will hopefully make it easier to till later this fall.


Above is the tomato plantation that took over that end of the garden along with our abundant pepper plants and the last summer squash plant. Although it has a bloom, I think it is done producing for the year. Hopefully this will be the last year I plant so many tomatoes. Unpictured are some sweet potatoes that my wife planted where our spring greens were for the tendrils which they put in dishes. 

Finally, this was what I harvested from the garden this morning. The bucket of tomatoes is what I'm going to turn into seedless tomato sauce and the okra we are going to try and give away much of it and freeze the rest. I may pickle a few too. The sweetcorn is for tonight's dinner.

Comments

  1. I like the photo through the "cornfield". My guess is the coons just haven't realized it's there since it sure would be easy pickings. Amazing it's still producing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was planted when many were getting ready to harvest theirs which is why we are eating ours when no other sweet corn is around.

      I know the coons are around as I catch them from time to time on my game cam. I guess I don’t know if raccoons operate on smell or persistence and luck.

      Delete
  2. Fresh corn, yummy! That's great that it survived. I hadn't checked on the weather there or asked Lynn about it. I didn't realize there had been (is?) a heat wave. How is your daughter adjusting to college?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This week has been quite pleasant, a welcome break from the heat of last week. My daughter is going well at college and was home for this past holiday weekend.

      Delete
  3. I'm impressed that corn turned out as well as it did. And yeah, I imagine it's easy to be overwhelmed with okra, even if you like gumbo. Good job with the garden overall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I consider it a great success, especially for a first year garden.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It has been a year that I'll remember for awhile.

      Delete
  5. Your garden didn't seem to suffer from the heat. That heat wave didn't reach us. I mean we had some warm days ~80 maybe, but I don't think that is what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tomatoes suffered pretty badly in the heat wave of last week. The vines have all sagged down around the cages and the tomato leaves are all wilted. I think they will still go ahead and ripen all the green tomatoes on them but I think there will be no more blossoms or new tomatoes added.

      Delete
  6. I too am surprised the sweetcorn produced after all of the storm damage. Tomatoes...oh my gosh. They have done very well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been twice as good had we room enough to plant it earlier in the spring but it was enough of a taste and we froze some for some future shrimp boils.

      Delete
  7. You had a really good year for this first garden. It's a relief to see that somebody had good production! So many gardeners have struggled with production this year, so your garden is encouraging.

    I've never grown Japanese eggplants. Actually, Dan claims he doesn't like eggplant, so it isn't something I grow. But his tastes have changed a lot so maybe I'll give it a try next summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We like them a lot more over their American counterparts. They are sweeter and thus less of a tendency to get bitter.

      Delete
    2. Leigh, look up a recipe for babganoush (Greek or Turkish). I do not like eggplant at all but found that very tasty.

      Delete
    3. Looks good Ed! What kind of okra, out of curiosity?

      Delete
    4. Filipinos have a dish where the eggplant is prepared similarly, i.e. grilled until soft with the skin peeled off. It is put into a broth and simmered and served with rice. I honestly don't know about the okra as it is saved seed for the last two or three years. All I know is it is green and best eaten when small and tender. If you blink your eye, the pods will grow to be a foot long and tough as shoe leather.

      Delete
    5. Looks delicious. You'll have to teach me to grow tomatoes. They have the most vast difference between homegrown and store-bought of any vegetable I've ever tried. I've only gotten a few edible ones this year. Birds or something have eaten a few others.

      Delete
    6. My brother who lives in NE Alabama raises them so I know it is possible though his season is a lot shorter than mine is. I think ultimately, it just gets too hot for them down there by this time of the year.

      Delete
  8. Your garden did great for its first year!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment