Rewind



It is hard to believe this picture is a little over 18 years ago. It was posted on this very blog along with a lot of posts of a very wet behind the ears father rambling about this and that without really knowing what he was doing. It certainly wasn't very good writing about something that turned out to be one of two masterpieces I created.

One of my most vivid memories of that time was the drive home from the hospital after ten days spent mostly in the NICU due to a tough delivery that ended up with a sick baby and mother. As we made the 20 mile drive home, we had to stop several times to prop our daughter's head up to make sure she wasn't choking off her airflow as she slept in her car seat. Of course she wasn't but we were that new to parenting, she meant the world to us and we weren't prepared to take the chance. Funny how of all the stories of my life I've written on this blog, I've never written that one.

Now, seemingly weeks later, we are dropping her off in front of her dorm and I'm watching this young lady cross the street and head off into another chapter of her life where the center of her world is no longer in the same house where my center resides. It doesn't seem possible and yet it is happening. 

It is probably a good thing that life doesn't come with the standard cassette tape deck controls of my youth because right now, I would be hitting that rewind button for all that I'm worth.



Note: When this posts two days from now, I will be at a retreat of sorts with no connections to the outside world so I will be unable to approve your comments until my return, perhaps late Thursday or early Friday. Don't worry though, I will see that they are approved eventually.


Comments

  1. What a sweet story! We all learn about babies gradually; there's no way to know what we don't know. Then they grow up and that's beautiful yet poignant. Hope you have an excellent time at the retreat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have a good time. Best of all, college was between it and home so we got to stop and see our daughter on the way home.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photo; like she's holding on tight! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't look like it but I was holding on tight too!

      Delete
  3. Aww so sweet, BUT remember this is what you and your wife have been preparing your daughter for all of her life. She will do great...but it will be hard for you. It will be okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been preparing her and I'm confident she will do well. Still I miss her presence at home now and then.

      Delete
  4. I thought about you often on Saturday, Ed. I hope you're coping well. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are doing well, mostly spending our time pondering where all those years went so quickly.

      Delete
  5. We moved daughter's stuff in one day, and we drove back home. A friend was taking her for good on the next day. When it was time for her to go, I was suddenly bawling. That was unexpected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did really well until we stopped for gas on the way home and just about lost it at the gas pump. I got to thinking about how my mom would have been so proud of her granddaughter.

      Delete
  6. It's a bitter sweet time when kids leave home for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only there were lots of resources preparing for this day like there was in the days leading up to her birth.

      Delete
  7. Ah...such a sweet post. They do grow up so very quickly. My youngest is 34, and I couldn't even tell you how that happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your comment makes me feel really young since I have another 23 years before I can say the same thing. One of the perks of starting later in life than most.

      Delete
  8. Ed, one of the great victories of our awareness is the day we realize these things are occuring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've known it was coming all summer long and still it kind of snuck up on me a bit.

      Delete
  9. Lovely post, Ed. I look forward to hearing about her new adventures. Looking back on my new parenting skills and I can relate to those feelings you had. We were so worried that something was going to happen to him that we were a little crazy those first few months.. I still remember going into his room and listening to him breathe because I thought he had stopped. Take care and enjoy your retreat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably similar, the second one was a lot different once we learned that babies weren't quite as fragile as I had thought. It was the parents who were the fragile ones.

      Delete

Post a Comment