Preservation

 

The garden at this time of the year is nearly a full time job. Above was the bounty from a single day of picking along with a basketful of dry shell beans below.

For some reason, the end plants of each row of dry beans had very green pods still on them while all the plants in the middle were dry to the point some where starting to sprout or rot. So I picked everything for two of the three different varieties I planted this year.

First, I turned the tomatoes into tomato soup, something we enjoy all winter long with grilled cheese sandwiches whenever a light meal is desired. It is also popular among friends and family and so we give a fair amount of it away too.

I also took the time to quickly blanch some extra green beans, soak them in an ice bath and then vacuum bag and freeze them. They become a quick side dish for meals coming up. We mostly ate them as they were being produced so we won't be eating them all year long unfortunately.

As it turned out, the Olympics were on right as the dry beans needed shelling and doing the shelling is something I enjoy. I shelled them from my easier chair as I watched the games unfold and soon, medals were won and the beans were ready to be dried down.

The final drying and sterilization occurs in our oven at low heat, I blow the chaff from them as best as I can using a fan and two large metal bowls on the deck, I pick out most of the bad beans that I find, and then I jar them up for later use. Sometimes I boil and then let them soak overnight to be made into something the following day or I pressure can them into ready to heat and serve portions. But for now, to take up less space, they will sit on my shelf, dried and stored in glass mason jars for me to admire the future possibilities. 

Comments

  1. I should try drying beans, as I love such beans (but don't care for green beans). My tomatoes are not doing well this year, nor is my whole garden. But then, from mid-May to July 4, we had hardly any rain, and since the 4th, someone forgot to turn the spigot off, so tomatoes are rotting on the vine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love dried beans. I use them in chili or bean soups during the winter months plus I pressure can a fair amount to use for such things as tacos, enchiladas, salads, baked beans or other ways. We are having our first non-drought year in four years and our tomatoes are abundant. I just gave away a five gallon bucket of them this past weekend and have someone lined up for another five gallon bucket of them this weekend.

      Delete
  2. I've never had homemade tomato soup. I think I'd like. I don't even mind Campbells, but I am the only one in the family who likes it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I've ever had canned tomato soup but love the one I make from our garden tomatoes. We really love ours with grilled cheese sandwiches to dip in the soup as we eat both.

      Delete
  3. It all looks good! You are realizing quite a bit of produce in your new garden spot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps that it is out our back door so little goes to waste. We wasted a lot of what we grew at our farm garden just because we weren't there to pick it when it was ripe.

      Delete
  4. Plus dried beans always look so nice in a glass jar. There's nothing better than grilled cheese and tomato soup!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all beans AND tomato soup. I bet the homemade is so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm. I have never had grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup. Learned something here to try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What kind of peppers are those? I sometimes grow Jalapeños, but those look smaller, like Serranos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are shishito peppers. They are milder than jalapenos and have a much better taste, at least to my taste buds.

      Delete
  8. I am envious of the tomato soup at your fingertips! I believe you have had a successful garden year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a success though there is a lot of room for improvement.

      Delete
  9. You have high quality food from your garden and a lot of fun growing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mostly enjoy the planting and the harvest. My wife enjoys the in-between weeding and caring for the plants. We both enjoy the eating part.

      Delete
  10. The difference in bean drying is interesting. I wonder if it is due to sun positioning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure why the difference happened. My guess is that the soil quality in spots affected the plant life and thus allowed them to stay greener longer. It was always at the end of the rows in the center of the garden. The other 90% of the rows were more uniform.

      Delete
  11. What temperature do you put them in the oven at, and how long. Last year I did them and was so disappointed to find that evidently I'd not done it long enough. They molded in their canister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dry mine in the sun initially to get them hard enough to where you can't dent them with your fingernail and then stick them in the oven at 200F for a couple hours to make sure they are good and dry. Thus far, I have not had any mold in the jars.

      Delete
    2. I should add that I put them in airtight jars so household humidity doesn't become an issue.

      Delete
  12. Congrats, Ed! Looks like you got yourself a medal for having the best crop ever. Is that something? Grilled cheese and tomato soup sounds pretty yummy. And best of luck this weekend as I read your comment on my blog about the ache of tomorrow. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best medal ever for gardens grown behind my house!

      Delete
  13. That is an amazing bounty that will provide you with some good eating for months to come! It is good to see all your efforts pay off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Preserving/catching one's food is a very rewarding experience, as you well know.

      Delete

Post a Comment