Something Different

 

I've written in the past about someday writing a book about a true story that I came across years ago. But I have come to realize all these years later that by setting my goal so high, I have doomed myself to failure and indeed, every time I sit down at the keyboard on the computer, I become so lost in the details of book formatting, citations, getting the order of story correct, fleshing out details and fretting over other details, that nothing really every happens towards the writing aspect. 

Back when I started this blog some 21 years ago, I think it was every November was a month when bloggers all over the world dedicated to writing a story of sorts and I participated a couple times. There were no dreams of publishing or getting things just right, only putting words to "paper" and I have fond memories of those days. So I thought I might attempt to do something similar with this true story that has been percolating in my brain all these years and maybe pick one day a week to post a new chapter of the story. By allowing myself the freedom to just write, perhaps I can rid my brain of the shackles it has borne for all these years and allow myself to move onward to other projects.

The story itself is a true story that I came across in old newspapers and the more I looked into it, the more I was blown away at the twists and turns it presented. Back then, I had to make trips to the state library and find articles manually on microfilm machines and print out copies of them at $0.25 per page. I supplemented that with boilerplate articles I found in regional newspapers through online newspaper archive subscriptions. Then about five years ago, our local library received a grant to digitize the local newspaper where all these events took place. Soon, I had local copies of all the articles and was able to fill in a lot of the gaps I had in the storyline.

Several more years would go by as I transcribed these articles manually into a word document in chronological order where I could read through them in an easier fashion than trying to squint at a computer image of a blurry copy of a nearly 200 year old newspaper article. I could make notes, flip here or there and begin to compile a storyline in my head. I just never have been able to make that critical step of getting it out of my head and into actual characters that could be read by others. 

So this is my attempt to get the story written without a lot of fleshing out. If it doesn't work, so be it but hopefully it will bear fruit. I am going to choose Friday's as the day to try and have the next section done. If I miss a Friday or two along the way, so be it. But hopefully, eventually, I will get it all written out at least in some sort of rough draft form. 

Comments

  1. I wish you all the best with this project Ed! Now stop dilly-dallying and get writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a few posts written already... at least a rough draft of several posts.

      Delete
  2. I could not write a fictional story to save my life. At least, I have no interest in trying. But all the best to you. It may be good for you to scratch that itch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in the same boat which is why this one is non-fiction. It is all laid out for me already. I just have to summarize it.

      Delete
  3. Well, this should be interesting for you. I always find it works better just to get it all down. You can edit and tweak later. Of course, that first step is the hardest one. Stay with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, perhaps once it is down, I will find the inspiration to expand and make it more readable because I'm sure my first attempt will be very rough.

      Delete
  4. I tried to find information on this story. It's an old one isn't it? I think the hardest part would be setting the story into an authentic background. With all your work in genealogy, you are just the person who can do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an old one and although I have used some of my genealogy source, most of the people in it are shrouded in mystery due to the time elapsed.

      Delete
  5. Ed, I think this is a great idea. Your first draft would typically be pretty skeletal anyway, but it's an important start. I'm guessing that as you get writing, ideas will start to flow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some of the best advice I was ever given was "Just start writing."

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nanowrimo is what you are thinking of Ed. It is held in November. 1500 words a day will get you a novel of 50,000 words in 30 days.

    That said, I find serialization a much easier way to write. I can handle one "chapter" of 900 to 1500 words a week. It also gives one time to think and do research for the next posting.

    Looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are spot on although I don't remember the word requirement aspect. I do remember that it was daily which was hard for me to accomplish even back then which is why I too thought of serializing it much like "The Collapse."

      Delete
    2. It really is much less daunting of a task.

      Delete
  8. Just making the decision to start writing is a step in the right direction. My SIL has been working on a proposal that he plans to submit to PBS for a documentary. He does have back up plans for if it's rejected, but would tell you the worst thing that can happen is they say no. To add another platitude: nothing ventured, nothing gained. Now get busy writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hopefully he doesn't get rejected. I love watching PBS documentaries.

      Delete
  9. That's a great compromise and seems like it will challenge your brain in a different way than writing a blog post. I remember those days! It's about when I started and blogging was the cool new thing. There were even conferences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't on the hip edge to know about the conferences I guess.

      Delete
  10. People have stories in their heads but find it hard to put them into words. I'll be reading on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of them I can get down in my daily journal or on a blog post but this one was a bit longer.

      Delete
  11. Looking forward to it! I have had the same thoughts, but not the energy to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to think I had the energy if I could just get past the mental roadblock part.

      Delete
  12. I started a book once, never finished. I look forward to reading what you write. Go easy on yourself, writers have editors:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also wanted to be an author and started with a few pages but that is it. You are so organized and have a plan and this will soon become a book reality.

    What worried and intrigued me was an advertisement that I briefly saw about AI being able to write a complete book for me with a few details, etc. It will probably be grammatically correct but it worries me that our human ability to think and create is going to be diminished. Kids can have their book reports done by the computer as well as college dissertations. Isn't that scary?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If i was smart enough to somehow input all the information I have collected and let an A.I. write a first draft, I'm sure I would attempt it. But I'm not that smart.

      I have mixed emotions about kids having A.I. write their book reports. Part of me says that the teacher just needs to have them write about their proverbial summer vacation and then question them later for verification. Another part of me things that they are going to have to deal with A.I. doing writing and so should know how to do so. You and I are probably old enough to coast the rest of our lives and not have to worry to much about knowing how to interact with it.

      Delete
  14. Looking forward to it! I have a feeling we are all in for a treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would I could agree but time will tell.

      Delete
  15. Somehow I have a feeling that I won't be able to write a fictional story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never be able to write a fictional story of any length either. My mind just doesn't work in that manner. But this will be non-fiction since I have a blueprint already and know exactly how the story ends from my research.

      Delete

Post a Comment