Garden Progress Report

10 June

This was the state of our garden post gardening session upon our return from Indiana and before the start of the previously blogged about concert. The tilled up areas on the right were the mostly failed peas due to the rabbits and a failed crop of watermelon radishes. It was the first time to grow watermelon radishes so I'm not sure why they never really grew. Also tilled up and partly covered in straw was a row of white onions. I bought red and white onion sets this spring and planted them and they looked fine for a long time but suddenly, every single white onion died. I've never had an onion of any type die before so I'm not sure if I accidentally bought a different type of short lived onion instead of the ones I expected which are supposed to produce large heads of 3 or 4 inches in diameter or perhaps some disease. The red onions are growing quite well still. In those tilled up spaces, I planted some late sweetcorn thanks to a suggestion for Donna's blog again. If all goes well, we may have some sweetcorn to eat around the end of August.

We also filled in a couple of the blank rows with some eggplant and tried another round of okra. The first okra seeds we planted never came up, a victim of a cold stretch of weather we had this spring. I'm not sure there is enough time to grow okra but we'll see. The okra seeds were all saved from last year so there is still a chance that germination rates could also be an issue. We did a bit more mulching of the strawberries and the newly planted egg plant starts. The only thing we didn't get done was to weed the three rows of carrots. Perhaps I might get that finished this week and we can be caught up on gardening until the sweetcorn gets tall enough to finish mulching the garden.

Our potato crop (the lush vegetation just left of center) bloomed well and is looking great. It won't be long before we can start digging up some new potatoes. To the left of them is our been crop, fresh style and some more dry shelling beans. None of them are really terrific stands this time around, mostly because I think we got in a hurry and planted them a touch too early. Somewhere in there, my wife couldn't wait until the peas were picked and planted the squash. I kept telling her it will drown out everything on that side of the garden but she is more stubborn than I and did it anyway. On the far left are the tomato plants and they are doing well, growing and blooming. We won't beat any records for the earliest tomatoes this year but I hope we get a decent crop. Friends of ours don't get wine but rather boxes of home canned garden fruits and vegetables. My canned tomato soup recipe is always a big hit and I would like to put up some more later this summer if possible. 

Off to the right, about half the crowns of asparagus came up and are looking fine, albeit tiny compared to the 25 year old mature patch I'm used too. Thus far, both the deer and the rabbits have left them alone so perhaps there is hope. Next year, I'll drive to a store near the farm that sells asparagus crowns that were four times the size of the tiny dried up ones I got from the seed catalog place way too late to plant, and replant what doesn't come up next spring. Up against the garden shed, my rhubarb plants are looking fine and showing signs of having enough to harvest next year.

All the fruit trees are looking bountiful this year. Besides the already blogged about sour cherries, all the apple trees are loaded with fruits setting on it. We had a couple nights where freezing was a possibility this spring when they were in blooms but they apparently made it through unscathed. If I can beat out the squirrels, perhaps I can get my first apple crop to speak of this year from our urban trees. 

Comments

  1. I think you are doing well and learning more about this garden plot as you go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are learning and starting to reap produce both.

      Delete
  2. Believe me, there's plenty of time for okra, even considering that you're north of me. Mine are only about an inch high. They germinate and grow very fast. Mine came up in three days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't believe you if I hadn't seen ours poking up out of the ground I five days after sticking them in it. The sweet corn came up a day after that. Warm soil really speeds things up!

      Delete
  3. It is looking good! It seems that there are always successes and failures; they vary from year to year depending on the variables of weather and hungry critters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one plus for preservation through canning. I can extra during the good years to get us through the failures.

      Delete
  4. Isn't it great to be able to watch things grow? And your garden patch is so much better close to you vs. your huge garden that you would have to drive to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I can let out a sign of relief at this point.

      Delete
  6. Your garden is looking good! You will be busy canning before long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping this year will be a light canning year since we won't have as many tomatoes and much of the other vegetables aren't canned. But that might be wishful thinking.

      Delete
  7. Are you posting your garden disappointments just to make me feel better about MY garden disappiontments??? LOL. Gardening is always a learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering what you are accomplishing with most of the other hours of your day, building a house without any help, I would say you have more than enough excuses for your garden!

      Delete
  8. I'm glad most of your garden is doing great and hope it continues that way. My daughter just sent me a photo of her little garden. The bunnies had eaten everything! She was devastated. The neighbor sent me photos of how the bunnies had even eaten all her milkweed for the monarchs. That couldn't even possibly taste very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rabbits will make quick work of a tiny garden!

      Delete

Post a Comment