Starting the New Garden

 

Although this picture is only taken two weeks ago during the last week of March, our garden actually officially got started three weeks before that, days before we left for Greece. With a spate of warm weather and rain in the forecast, we planted some early crops such as radishes, lettuce and peas. We hope the forecasted rain would provide the necessary moisture and indeed according to my electronic rain gauge, we received 1.3 inches of rain while we were in Greece. 

The first week after we got back was very cold and so not a lot happened but by the following weekend, it was threatening to get a little warmer. Snow was still in the forecast for a bit further north of here but none predicted for our area. After that passes, it is supposed to warm up again. In an effort to encourage spring, we decided to work in the greenhouse and task number one was using my newly refurbished hose reel to fill up the water barrel which it did quite easily compared to the lugging of many buckets of water down the hill.

Above is our garden that is growing despite this cold weather and threats of snow. The obvious row is lettuce. There is a row of radishes to the right which have not come up. On the far side of the garden we planted two rows of peas and they are just starting to poke out of the ground so don't really show up as a row just yet. We are hoping to put in some more peas this coming weekend as well as some potatoes and onions. 

As you can see in the above two pictures, I did install my net fence to prevent deer damage. We used the exact same thing on one side of our garden down at the farm so we could easily get larger farm equipment inside if needed. It worked really well though it blew down once in a strong gale. After that I installed metal fence posts occasionally to help support it and never had any problems. This came with fiberglass poles to do the same thing and also allow me to electrify it if needed. Because I don't want to have to mess with fussy fence charging systems, I haven't bought one yet and am just going to take a wait and see approach. We aren't planning on sweet corn so I'm not too worried about raccoon damage. We have a healthy hawk population that keeps the rabbit population in check. The only thing I'm really worried about are moles and an electrified fence can't stop them anyway.

After the water barrel was filled, I helped my wife in the greenhouse mostly cleaning and organizing while she planted seeds. We have flats of basil, leeks, and paste tomatoes started. I'm sure we will start more but since our greenhouse is unheated and there is still below zero weather in the forecast, we aren't putting in all our seeds yet just in case. It is going to be so nice to grab a flat of seedlings, walk 10 feet and stick them in the ground. 

Finally, along side of the greenhouse, between it and the garden, I bought a couple sad looking rhubarb plants on deep discount last summer and stuck them in the ground. Because it was so dry, I had to water them the rest of the year but they seemed to have survived and are sprouting up again. I hope to plant some more of them this spring and this will be my official rhubarb patch for years to come. My mom always had several plants growing but they eventually died off and we haven't had any plants of our own for many years now. I did plant one down at the farm a couple years ago but since we aren't planning on going down there regularly, it will be nice to have some closer to home.

On order are some asparagus crowns to start a new bed somewhere up behind our house. I tried digging up some of the crowns from down on the farm but the soil was so hard and dry, it bent my heavy duty potato fork. Since those crowns are getting long in the tooth at around 25 years old or more, I thought it better just to start over again with new stock though it will mean being without our own asparagus for a couple years until I can get it established. At least asparagus is fairly easy to come by in the grocery store though fairly expensive. 

That brings everything up to date as of two weeks ago. I'm sure I'll have a lot more posts this summer as we do what we love, growing our own veggies, in a new garden behind our house. 

Comments

  1. Looks like everything is off to a good start, even if it's just the planning phase. I never had any luck growing rhubarb, but then I'm farther south, which apparently wasn't conducive to rhubarb. I hope yours do well, along with the rest of your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours did quite well when planted on the south sides of buildings, which is where I planted mine. I think if out in the open, they tend to get too cold in the winter and die off.

      Delete
  2. It's a long time before I plant radishes. There's still snow on parts of my garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The furthest north I lived was a decade in central Minnesota. It took spring forever to arrive so I can imagine what it is like up your way.

      Delete
  3. For a time, I got into growing perennials, but I never got into produce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have some perennials but not many as the deer are hard on them.

      Delete
  4. Seems like you will have a wonderful crop of wonderful variety!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Variety insures that we will have something to harvest... I hope!

      Delete
  5. Nice seeing things in use! (the hose reel AND the greenhouse) I hope you have a very successful garden this year. The weather can often make it a crapshoot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does which is why we plant a variety so hopefully we can harvest something and then try again the next year.

      Delete
  6. I can't get over all the produce you are able to plant in your garden. The only thing I'm successful with is green onions. We are babying a poha (golden berry) plant right now and nursing it to health, but just when I thought it might survive, it got hit by aphids. Arrghhh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a pretty good climate for gardens to allow for things that grow best in spring, summer or fall. If you have summer all year round, I imagine it limits what you can plant.

      Delete
  7. Yeah but what about all those cyclists who are coming to camp on your property? They'll be worse than raccoons.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your rhubarb has a nice start! Your garden area is looking good!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment