Loose Ends Before I Left


Before leaving for Greece, I had a couple warm days to work with and so I worked underneath the deck stacking the ten year old firewood into my firewood rack and wadding up the tarp. I put it in the planter box to the left for now until a week with light trash when I can fit it in with our normal trash. I shoveled all the leaves and debris left underneath the woodpile and hauled that down to the compost pile. It makes it look more inviting when it doesn't look like a dump site. I was surprised at how much firewood I still have, probably enough for two more winters, like this last one. If we ever get a real winter back, then that probably is a year's worth for us. It is nice that we burn wood only for soul therapy and not for heat. 

On a roll, I fired up the tiller and worked the entire garden. It worked up nice but is pretty dry. I was kicking up dust and at that time, we were only two days into March. In a normal year, it is raining every other day here throughout most of March. There is no rain in the 12 day forecast which takes us to the middle of March.

On my list of things to do had been to tear up that old firepit. I would like to build a new one somewhere else. The old one is broken down to a nub so there really is no wall to keep the fire contained anymore and the weeds grow as fast as I can spray/mow them off. Plus it is just plain ugly. But fate intervened by sending RAGBRAI (Registers Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa) through our town this summer and already, we have pledged to host up to 25 tents and 50 riders for one night. that means, if I had torn up the firepit, it would hopefully be just planted grass growing and not someplace I would want trampled. So I'm leaving that project for the fall and when they have left our lawn. Who knows, perhaps we might get a few bonfires out of it yet while we admire our garden before I tear it out.

Comments

  1. You'll be hosting fifty bicycle riders? Wow! That's a lot. Will they be using your bathrooms and eating with you? Better make a rota and buy some bigger cooking pans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Along with them, there will be 25,000+ coming into town that evening as riders or support. There will be facilities such as showers and tons of food truck and other eating options. The riders staying with us are self supported and have their own vehicle taking them back and forth for the food and festivities so we don't have to support that. I will ensure I have a garden hose strung out for them and will welcome them to use our walkout basement which has a bathroom. Since they are such a large group, I expect they have a system for staying at private houses as far as getting everybody through the facilities.

      Delete
    2. You will have to make speech to them when they arrive..."Now Listen Up! I am King Ed - the ruler of this property and whatever I say goes! Alrightee? No alcohol! No smoking! No drugs and no canoodling!"

      Delete
    3. I'm guessing that is someone chooses to ride a bicycle nearly 500 miles over a week, those sorts of things are probably not common, well at least all except the canoodling!

      Delete
  2. The porch looks great with the tarp-covered wood gone! Your post triggered my memory with your mention of RAGBRAI. Way back in the mid-'80s I had a co-worker with a RAGBRAI poster over his desk. I knew it was a bicycle thing (there was a big picture of a bicyclist on the poster) but I never knew what it stood for! In fact I'd completely forgotten about it until now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rode in RAGBRAI XII and XIII. This year is RAGBRAI LI. Time goes by so fast.

      Delete
  3. I like how the wood rack looks with wood in it! Good job, Ed. I know you don't usually read my book review posts, but there one in there this time I think you might enjoy. The Ingenious Victorians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually skim them if the title might be a non-fiction book that I could be interested in. In this case though, I've been tied up with charity work and haven't yet read your blog post yet but will be getting to it shortly.

      Delete
  4. That wood rack is excellent! Such an improvement. How wonderful to host the riders! Hopefully that will work out well and provide good blog fodder too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always in the search of good blog fodder!

      Delete
  5. You improve things rather than not. You will always be busy - and that is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will be interested to hear how hosting all those riders will go. It's only for one night, but wow. That's a lot of people! That's pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've done it in the past but for not that many people. They generally keep to themselves and self sufficient.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Yes though my list still seems to grow faster than I can check things off.

      Delete
  8. The wood box looks great with firewood in it! And yes, it's amazing how much better things look with just a little tidying up.

    Hosting 25 tents and 50 bicycle riders for a night sounds like an interesting challenge. Good for you for volunteering!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You can fit that many tents on your property? Wow! That's going to be fun actually.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment