Johnny On the Spot

 

A.I. Generated

It is that time of year again and our town is prepping for it's huge book sale to raise funds for our local library. People donate unwanted books, we sort them into categories and haul literally, tons of them to our local event center where we fill the entire events floor with tables full of books for people to buy at insanely cheap prices. During the sorting phase, we have people that unbox the books and put them on tables, those like me who read a lot then go and sort those books into relevant categories to help people find something easier on sale day, and other people to box up those categorized books and label them so on the day before the event, it is easier to stage the books in the right locations on the event floor. 

I like this job because it isn't very mentally taxing. I like to muse about the owner of a box of books and their taste in literature. Many times I'm glad I don't know the owner of the box of books or I might judge them harshly for their choice of reading. Occasionally, as a perk of being a volunteer, I find a book that I might like to read and I get to keep it "free" of charge if you disregard my free labor I'm providing. Finally, it is just pleasant to be in a room with others who enjoy books and we do a lot of joking and open musing about the books we find or think someone else might enjoy.

Just as I was wrapping up my shift for the morning, I heard someone shout, "Help me please!" in a voice that wasn't joking. I turned around and saw an older lady slumped on the floor in exactly the same picture as the A.I. generated picture above. I didn't see her fall but the floor is concrete and so I feared the worse. She was conscious and I asked her if she wanted me to call 911 but she declined saying her husband would be arriving any second. As others kept her company, I went down to the entrance of the building we were working in and found Earl just walking in. I briefed him on the situation and ushered him up to the top floor sorting room. His wife was still laying on the ground when we arrived.

Being the only person in the room physically capable of helping her up, I eventually helped her to a sitting position and then to a seated position in a chair we found. I was worried about broken bones but she didn't seem concerned. We found a wheelchair downstairs and transferred her to it and I wheeled her down to her car with Earl in tow. She was able to stand and get into the car on her own power so I don't think anything was broken. Later I learned that someone had actually caught her as she was going down and pretty much just laid her on the floor. Earl had said she hadn't been feeling well recently which makes me ponder why she was there sorting books in the first place. 

I don't know her name since she came in maybe a half hour before she collapsed and didn't really have a friendly demeanor about her. Sometimes you can just tell who those are that will stop and converse with you and those that won't be the looks on their faces. If I'm wrong in my judgement, then they really need to know that their frowns and scowls really do affect those around them if they are looking for friends. 

It brought a little excitement to the sorting anyway. I hope she gets to feeling better.

Comments

  1. I am one of those people who tend to look overly serious and unfriendly at times, even though I don't think I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know many people like that who will talk your leg off once the barrier is broken. I try not to let that stop me in starting a conversation. However, when I'm busy as I was sorting books, unfriendly faces just ensure silence.

      Delete
  2. You know that expression "resting bitch face"? For many folks (including my younger daughter and me) it's not really that, but more of a "one track mind" face. Look or smile in our direction and we light right up. I hope there wasn't any underlying cause for her fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not heard that expression before but I can't think of a more accurate saying! Someone told me later that she had pneumonia and was told to stay home for a week.

      Delete
  3. That could be me - so I better stay away from volunteering at book sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The unpleasant face or the working until you drop from illness?

      Delete
    2. Neither. Just the getting older.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I hope she's OK! I'm not much into frowning or scowling and am intimidated by those who do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to think I have a highly approachable face but I do know that I can give people the stink eye that causes them to stop what they are doing and start squirming. Or so I'm told.

      Delete
  5. You were very good to help, Ed. We were told in our falling class that you should never move someone who has fallen until an assessment can be made that they don't have a problem and you should never try to jump up after you fall either. Some people just aren't very friendly because I imagine their lives aren't very happy. You are wonderful to support your local library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been taught the same lessons. But after 10 minutes of laying on the concrete floor, she was wanting to sit in a chair. I couldn’t blame her so kept a look out for any sign of obvious discomfort which never happened. Of course I didn’t think a spinal injury was a possibility or she would have stayed down. My thought as to the worst case was a cracked hip or arm.

      Delete
  6. I hope she's okay too.

    When I was growing up my mother used to tell me "stop scowling" which was always a surprise. Later my first husband once commented "you're always mad," which puzzled me to no end because inside I felt pretty happy. I spent years trying to alter the impression I gave with my face, but it seemed to result in a rather phony looking smile that and people thought I was up to something. One day I asked Dan about it and he told me I just looked like I was deep in thought.

    All of that caused me to experiment with people who look grumpy. I'd say 99% of the time if I made a point to speak to them in a friendly manner, they instantly become friendly and their expressions change. Then there are the rare people like Christie Brinkley, who even when she scowled looked cute.

    In my experience, the old saying "don't judge a book by its cover" is very true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That has been my experience too. I just wonder though how many pass by without saying anything simply because of the look of the cover. I hadn’t thought of it being something that can’t be changed but perhaps some develop facial muscles differently than others.

      Delete
  7. When I drove the Amish to Erie last week, we made our regular stop for cheeseburgers. Levi does love his cheeseburgers. As we were walking inside, an elderly man fell out of his wheelchair on to the sidewalk, having gotten his foot tangled up under the footrest. Another by-stander and I got him up and back into his chair. He did not seem injured, but very, very rattled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fortunate you were there to help. Amazingly I had another experience just today that I may write about but need some time to digest first. This time my wife was around and a doctor and ambulance were necessary.

      Delete

Post a Comment