Blazing Speeds

 

A.I. Generated

After years of pondering and taking some initial steps earlier this year, I finally cut the proverbial cord. Actually, I mostly traded cords but gained more freedom. I think.

Yesterday was the day and fiber optic cables were run up to the side of my house, inserted through a hole drilled in the foundation, and run into my office where instead of a black box, I now have a gray box. My speeds are probably 50 times faster than they were previously though sadly, my typing speed never improved. All this was done to reduce my bill by nearly 2/3rds of what it was and to get away from bundled services. It wasn't without it's problems though.

The technician cleared a hole among the many electronic devices and cables that had previously gave me internet, television and phone services, plunked down his box and hooked up the cable he had run into my house. He then declared everything good, picked up his bag and was looking for my acknowledgement so he could leave. Having watched him, I knew my mesh wifi system had not been hooked up nor my desktop computer hardwired into his box. I pointed out that I still had no internet to my computer nor a wifi signal to any of my many devices. 

I won't bore you with the details, but what ensues was a half hour of him fumbling with various cables trying them here and there and not really getting anywhere. I finally had to help him out and remove my mesh wifi router from the system because it was interfering with their built in router and evidently didn't support the high speeds of the fiber optic cable. I also took the cable from my desktop and plugged it into the appropriate spot. I removed a half dozen cables and devices that were no longer needed and my system was mostly working. My security cameras are still not on, shh, don't tell any thieves, and I need to do some more research on how to get them to communicate with all this new gear. As expected, their wifi router is puny and doesn't transmit a strong signal in every area of the house so another mesh wifi router is on order that is capable of handling the blazing speeds. Unknown is if any of this will improve my typing speed.

I gathered up all my cable television electronics and took it down to their store front and told them where to stick it. Well, they told me to put it on the counter nearby so they could scan the barcodes and verify I had returned all their gear so they could then cancel my account. I had signed up for YouTube TV a few weeks prior for a month long free test run and I think it will work to my needs. I don't have access to my favorite "local" channel which is located in the state capital and has paid professionals running things. Instead, I now have to rely on my true local stations which apparently rotate a bunch of newly minted graduates through their station on a monthly basis. The quality of the news and weather just isn't there but I can bookmark other sources online to supplement my needs.

As previously noted, I already dealt with the phone issue.

So now everything is basically run through my internet which has Gigabyte speeds, had unlimited data and did I mention about 2/3rds less costly than the previous monopoly I was forced to utilize for the last decade. I cut the cord and inserted a faster cord with another company. We'll see how things go. The technician was going to cut my coaxial cable that my previous service provider utilized and run his cable through the existing hole. I declined and had them drill a new hole. This way, it may give me options in the future. 

Comments

  1. It all sounds rather traumatic but hopefully, after a week or two, you will be glad you made the switch. You left me wondering what a "wife router" is (see the fourth paragraph). I expect it is a machine that gives one's wife clear instructions about how to get from A to B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually a wife router is exactly what it sounds like. It is a wife who routes me through everyday life by telling me what to fix, get, do, etc.

      Delete
  2. Well, that sounds like a positive development, all things considered! We got rid of our landline and we no longer use our Dish TV (though the dish is still attached to the outside wall which is a whole 'nother matter). There are a lot of unused cables running around this place that we could probably get rid of, but they're not ours so I just tuck them behind things and pretend they're not there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had Dish for awhile but we live in what they call a "media blackhole" and so we couldn't get any local channels unless we went through a 3 month petition process. After the second time of having to go through the process because they kept dropping the local channels every review, I gave up and went back to coaxial cable until this came along.

      Delete
  3. We cut the cord some time ago and stream a few services, but of course the phone is separate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope this stays reasonably priced for awhile but I imagine eventually it will go the same way as traditional cable.

      Delete
  4. I can only imagine. We are still in the rural wasteland paying multiple times more money and getting multiple times less speed and data. Someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our neck of the woods was a beneficiary of Biden's infrastructure bill that passed several years ago. A fiber optic company in a near by town received a huge grant is they installed fiberoptic cables to everyone, regardless if desired or not.

      Delete
  5. I feel Kelly's pain. We will be moving to the wasteland soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parent's house was always like that up until my mom died and my dad moved away. Then high speed internet showed up the following year.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like congratulations are in order. Welcome to high speed internet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I had before was faster than I needed. What I have now is just ridiculously fast and really unnecessary. But it is cheaper so I'll use it.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on the big move. We did it a while back and have never looked back. You have the added advantage of knowing what you were looking at when "the guy" was at your house taking care of everything. The cost savings is significant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. Plus, at least in my opinion, it seems as if fixed cable services are a dying horse and knowing how to stream content is the way of the future. I'm a bit late but better than never.

      Delete
  8. Greek to me! But congratulations are in order, I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just glad the switch is over. I've been worrying about it for nearly a year.

      Delete
  9. Yay! We have been pretty happy after we cut the cord. I also really enjoy the freedom of having TV when I want it instead of being tied to a contract. We tried both YouTubeTV and Hulu Live TV and YouTube was easily the better choice. Good luck with everything, Ed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Based on reviews, I heard similar which is why I chose it. So far, the only thing I have a complaint about is that there is no way to "unwatch" a show. I turned off my Firestick assuming it would stop my progress in the show but it plowed on through it and the show after which I was also recording. I had to go seek out the individual shows and "rewatch" them for the first time.

      Delete
  10. Not knowing as much as you do makes me scared to cut the cord although I really should. Most of what I watch or want to watch I can stream on other services or watch on my laptop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I just got a dud installer. In the past when I have switched between services, the installers have been quite knowledgeable and helpful.

      Delete
  11. We just did something like that with our Hawaiiantel company. And it's kind of rattling me trying to get everything online again. Ack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is partly why it took me so long to make the change. I was gathering up the nerve!

      Delete
  12. It's nice to have options, but I've been through this kind of problem-solving too, and of course, been overcharged for it. Sigh.

    Not long ago we lost Internet service and it required a technician. Although he could come after the weekend, we were a bit unprepared to be without wifi for 72 hours, so our neighbour kindly came to the rescue; she offered us her wifi and once she was able to determine the password (she had to contact her daughter currently in University on the other side of Canada), we were back online. Good neighbours, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids freak out when we have the occasional power outage and no internet. I just grab a book and enjoy life outside the interwebs.

      Delete
  13. We have the fiber optic, BUT we still hard wire our two laptops they work faster that way:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment