Unwanted Anxiety

 

A.I. Generated Image

Not long ago, I wrote about my struggle to do taxes this year after sweeping tax changes in our state. I allowed several state tax form updates to roll through and then input my information and compared it to my previous year as best as I could to make sure it was in order. With my confidence high, and owing considerable more taxes than last year due to the changes, I electronically filed my taxes. The very next day they were accepted by the state.

A week later by the day, I get an official looking letter from our state's Department of Revenue saying that I severely underpaid them in taxes and now owe more plus am being penalized for owing as much as I do. The letter included the data that they had received in columns with labels across three pages of paper with a balance at the end. I panicked a bit.

The next day I pulled out my copy of my state tax form and started comparing values to see if I could decipher where "I had gone wrong." It had to be my fault right since theirs is automatically uploaded to software with no room for interpretation. Eventually I found a value for "Iowa Net Modifications" that was a lot different between their form and what was entered onto my tax form. That space in summary is where we report a federal tax refund from the previous year to be taxed as income, minus any deductions above and beyond the standard deduction which we are obligated to take this year. (One of the previously mentioned changes.) If the value is positive, it is added to our Adjusted Gross Income to be taxed. If it is negative, is is subtracted from our Adjusted Gross Income so we don't pay as much taxes. The key take away is that we are supposed to subtract one from the other.

According to the Department of Revenue's answer, they added both together. Normally this wouldn't be a problem but the previous tax year of 2022 wasn't normal for us. My wife had been underpaid for two years and they finally figured that out and paid her, all at once in a lump sum with the appropriate, albeit way to much, federal and state taxes taken out. Thus our refund last year was about 400% larger than we normally expect. Now, per the rules of our state, we have to pay income taxes on it again even though we did that back in 2022. Right or wrong, them are the rules and I am happy to abide by them. 

But those same rules say we can contribute a significant amount of money to our children's state 529 plans for college and deduct that amount from our income that gets taxed. We maxed that out in 2022 and since it is now the only thing we can deduct above and beyond the standard deduction these days, I took it. That amount nearly offset the large refund and the difference (that went into the space for Iowa Net Modifications) was very small. However, the Department of Revenue added those figures together. Why?

The included a phone number to call if I had questions so I took them up on the offer. After getting into the phone cue, I had around 80 minutes of waiting to do. While waiting, I pondered what I was going to say. Would the person be able to look at my taxes and say that despite it saying subtract, the state added and that I was right? Would they pass me from person to person with no real idea of what was wrong until I gave up in frustration and hired a tax lawyer to go over everything and prepare an appeal? Something in between those worries?

When the lady who helped me answered the phone, she took down my information and asked about my problem which I started explaining. She only responded in asking for details as she made notes. I was fairly certain things weren't going my way until I offhandedly commented something along the lines of, "it looks like the Department of Revenue is adding my 529 contributions to my income instead of deducting them." That rang the bell. Immediately she offered up that there was a known error that was causing issues for anyone who made 529 contributions and have already filed their taxes, i.e. me. They are in the process of correcting the error and will send out a corrected form for those who owe less in taxes or for those getting a small refund, me, they would just process my return as normal and electronically deposit my refund in a few weeks. 

Since I was flagged and sent this notice, I'm not optimistic but my refund was smaller than the fine they said I owed for not paying a lot of taxes so if I get zero, I'm probably coming out ahead. But it was a morning spent on a computer staring at tax form, on the phone waiting while dozens/hundreds of people before me also having the same issue were being helped and not being productive. I still haven't seen any mention of it on our state's Department of Revenue's website warning there might be issues and to hold on for a few weeks before getting anxiety. That would have been nice.

Comments

  1. I'm assuming the known error was with the software(?) I suspect there are a lot more glitches than people are aware of. It's been awhile, but in three different years I tried to file our federal tax return via three different of their recommended online venues. Each time I ran into serious glitches. I wasn't willing to be fined for their mistakes, so each time I abandoned electronic filing and did it the old fashioned paper way. I continue to file on paper, although because of our income, our taxes are moronically simple. One of the advantages of being poor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm used to glitches with online filing software. Those happen every year but are generally corrected within a month of being released. It is why I always compare the values on the actual forms themselves to previous years to verify everything is in the ball park. But this was an error at the department of revenue, unseen from this end until the nasty letter.

      Delete
  2. What a pain... I'm glad it worked out but sad you lost so much time that you can't get back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it has worked out. I haven't received another letter yet nor have I received my tiny refund.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, you gotta wonder why they haven't publicized this error, unless they're afraid unscrupulous people will somehow try to take advantage of it. (How they would do that I'm not sure.) What a nightmare! At least you figured out that it wasn't your fault and it should all come out in the wash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, it is yet another reminder of why our taxes should be much simpler than they are. I'm guessing they rank as the move convoluted and difficult in the world.

      Delete
    2. It beats the alternative!

      Delete
  4. You sound like a thoughtful and competent person. Hope this all works out better than you expect. I saw you over at Honolulu Kay's Musings and was impressed that you have been blogging for 25 years. I'm getting up there myself! Nice to meet you. Aloha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I'm thoroughly addicted at this point so will probably keep at it until Blogger is no longer functioning.

      Delete
  5. What a pain! I have never run into much of a problem, but I did have someone else do them last year. That is another story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing Canadian taxes are a lot more simple to pay. I can't imagine any country having a more difficult and complex system than we do.

      Delete
  6. I do so hate dealing with taxes although my friend and tax professional has always made it as easy and stress free as possible. We have no state income tax which makes things a bit less complicated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose that would help though the state still gets the money to operate somehow. Iowa seems to be trending to being a no income tax state sometime in the future.

      Delete
  7. I just filed my taxes two days ago. It was a pain this year. Even with the tax software I felt I was missing something. The returns have been accepted but I don't feel good until money is deposited for the state form and money taken out for the federal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep hoping that the next year things will be more simple but it never seems to work out that way. This tax year my last grandmother died and I had to deal with my share of her estate which wasn't very simple to figure out taxes on.

      Delete
  8. This sounds like a nightmare. I am not good with numbers myself and fortunately as a high school teacher all tax matters were dealt with at source. However, this year, because of a house sale and associated issues such as renting the house out I have some anxiety. I gave the notifications re. tax several weeks ago but have heard nothing back. However, I expect that the shit will hit the fan before many more weeks have passed by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately since I wrote this, I received another letter 2 days ago informing me that not only did I not owe taxes, but they owed me a small amount, $0.23 cents less than I requested on my tax form. Assuming that small amount ends up in my checking account here soon, then I'm done with this for the year.

      Delete
  9. Uffda, we use an accountant. We were audited once when I did the taxes...I said Nope using an accountant from now on. The $200 we pay him a year is worth it to my sanity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was audited many years ago when I was still living at home and my parents had an accountant do our taxes for us. I did them by hand for a few years but then started hiring an accounting firm but all they did was punch numbers into their software (which I could by myself) and then charged me $40 in the beginning to $250, the last year I used them. What scared me is if I asked questions, they never could tell me anything other than what their software said in the dialog box, the same one I see when I purchase the software. So I started buying the software, usually for $40, and doing them myself again and have been relatively happy these last 15+ years. This has been the only time I have had an issue and as it turned out, it was their mistake and not mine or the software.

      But I freely admit that peace of mind is worth every penny and not all tax situations can probably be handled easily by purchased software.

      Delete
  10. We took our taxes to our accountant last week. Poor Art... It's so complicated. We have to pay her quite a bit to do it, but he's got to fill out a booklet for her with all the information on it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment