The New Wood Rack


For most things I build out of wood, I start with some sort of rough design. Sometimes I just use a pencil and paper and other times where I will need to estimate quantities to purchase material in, I'll use a free online CAD program to get an idea. Above is an incomplete design using SketchUp but enough that I can get everything I need from it.

I could have just built it in place but that would have required lots of trips around the house and up and down the steep ramp to access my lower back yard. It would have required lots of kneeling on uneven concrete to try and get things fastened together. So I designed this to be built in sections where I can comfortably work at waist level on my work bench and just carry the completed sections together and fasten together. Above is the framed out pieces waiting for some siding to be attached to the smaller ones.

The back panel was heavier than I wanted to lift without any siding so I just fastened it in place and attached the siding later.

I went back on forth what to do about the siding. I could have bought some cheaper materials but then would have to paint the pieces, front and back, before putting together which would have taken days of time. I looked at decking, siding, anything that was meant to last for a long time outdoors, but everything was so expensive these days. Finally I found some cedar "nickel gap" siding that was still expensive but more reasonably priced and I used up all my accumulated 11% off rebates that Menards does, to buy the cedar lumber. My thought was that it would go on easy and didn't need any painting or finishing. I would just fasten it to my frame made out of ground contact treated two-by material and let everything gray naturally with time. The cedar turned out to be miserable to work with. It split. It was warped, it was cupped. Despite hand selecting all 25 boards I needed for this project, I still needed ratchet straps (red strap on the left side) to pull things into a somewhat straight line at points of the project.

But I persevered and got everything built. I made a sloping roof to shed moisture though it shouldn't get a lot since the deck above will take much of it. I plan on moving the last of the tarped up firewood to this tomorrow and then perhaps over time this spring, haul up chunks of other trees that I have cut into rounds and piled up and attempt to split enough to fill up the new rack for a couple year's worth of fires. 

Comments

  1. Looks great Ed!

    My dad purchased metal wood racks for by the house, but ended up putting up plywood behind them to shield them from the weather. Good call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked at purchasing something instead but my number one complaint is that they weren't shielded from the weather, especially from above in the direction rain typically falls. So I went with plan B, building one to my specifications.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. We all have our talents, and yours is definitely photography.

      Delete
  3. Looking great. I was wondering why you were using cedar when I looked at the photos, then I read your text. I have been wanting to buy some cedar for a closet, but when I price it out, it's like "ouch" but I will still do it at some point since it's supposed to help protect wool items from moths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much lumber has gone up dramatically in price since pre-covid. It never really returned back to where it was before price wise.

      Delete
  4. It looks nice, Ed. For better perspective, I'd like to see a photo with some wood in it. What size do you like yours cut to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely post a picture with some wood in it. We have a wood burning insert so our firebox is quite small. I think I have to keep the length to about 15 inches or less and about 8 inches or less in diameter, especially when I get coals built up.

      Delete
  5. Every project has its issues; fortunately, you're an excellent problem solver. It looks beautiful. I love the wood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is probably the fanciest wood rack around!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful! It must also smell nice with the cedar. I wish you were my neighbor - here in Hawaii - not in Iowa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This cedar had been sitting around so long, it didn't smell like much of anything, at least not the way fresh cut cedar does.

      Delete
  7. Very nice! It turned out really well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I am totally impressed. I'll have to show this to Art when he wakes up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK, just showed it to Art and he said, "Very impressive!"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment