The Dream and the Travel

 

A.I. Generated Image

Last fall, my daughter signed up to go to Japan through her school over spring break along with me as a chaperoning parent, only offered to those who are honor students with excellent GPA's. I was looking forward to it. However, not enough people signed up for it to make it economically feasible and so they offered it to anybody. My daughter was worried that doing so would open it up to troublemakers and thus making it not fun for those that want to be respectful and learn about a new culture. Now that they are back, word on the street has it that my daughter was right and they had lots of problems on the trip from kids getting into all kinds of trouble that affected everyone else. Fortunately for my daughter and I, we cancelled the trip in early winter while we were still able to get a full refund back.

Back then when my daughter was thinking about cancelling, we asked her if there was anyplace she would like to go to as a family instead before she graduates high school in a couple months. She immediately responded by saying she would love to go to Greece. So after some back and forth, we decided that we would fund her trip to Greece, with parents and sister in tow, if she planned out the entire trip. She took up the challenge and ran with it.

She even picked out flights which we booked before Christmas. To reduce the sticker shock somewhat and get better flights, we opted to drive five hours east to Chicago to catch our first flight instead of flying from our local urban jungle airport only 75 minutes up the road. Besides being cheaper and even faster considering layovers, it meant we would just have to make one connection each way, in Germany. It seemed like a good deal at the time until a week before we were to depart and German grounds workers, at the very airport we were going through, announced they were going to go on strike the very day we would be there.

This led to a week of untold anxiety of what we should do. Our airline even sent up free vouchers to rebook but every suitable option included a leg going through a German airport with striking grounds workers. To confuse matters, we weren't flying on any German airlines and it was only German airline grounds workers on strike. Nobody seemed to know if we would be affected or not. In the end, inaction ruled the day and we drove to the airport in Chicago not knowing what would happen.

We landed in Munich on time to a very lightly populated airport but our connecting flight was still on time and scheduled to take off soon. We sighed with relief and patiently waited until it was announced minutes before boarding that it would be delayed an hour. Why? We didn't know but at least it was still scheduled to take off at that point. An hour later we boarded but then we just sat there in the plane, at the gate, as the minutes ticked by. From what I could understand from all the German being spoke, because of the strike and lack of rescheduling options, we had to wait for some delayed passengers on other flights to arrive since stranding them in an airport on strike was not an option. Indeed an hour later 20+ kids from some school did arrive and we were able to take off.

We landed in Athens, Greece, two hours late and after numerous wrong turns and stops to ask for directions, we finally located the subway servicing the airport and made it onto the subway. For some reason, Greeks only feel the need to put a sign pointing out the direction of the train from the various airport terminals, only when you are within sight of the actual train. Until then it is assumed you know which direction to go. Due to the two hour delay of our plane, we arrived right during rush hour which meant that we spent 40 minutes standing upright being crushed by those around us on the subway car until we reached our stop, just as the daylight was fading from the sky. Jet lagged and tired, we just checked into our rental suite and called it a day. 

Comments

  1. I am going to look forward to reading about your family's adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got several more posts written and waiting to be polished and published. I have several more yet to write.

      Delete
  2. I, too, am looking forward to this.

    We booked through Amsterdam, which was pretty non-eventful.

    How was the jet lag? We all really struggled with it in a way I do not struggle with it when I go to Japan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been struggling with it more so than when we go to the Philippines. Something about 12 hours difference is easier than 8 hours. I haven't slept a full night since our return 5 days ago but I don't feel like a narcoleptic anymore.

      I am slowly writing posts about the trip and I've been linking to your posts where you wrote in detail about the history. I'm not much of a Greek scholar so have just been focusing on writing about the cultural aspects of our trip.

      Delete
  3. I look forward to hearing more about your adventures! I went to Greece back in 2000 and had a great time, but I know a lot has changed since then. I heard about that German airline strike when I was flying to Dublin -- I can't remember why. Maybe it affected some flights at Heathrow.

    My motto with travel uncertainty is just to go until you can't go anymore, and then deal with whatever arises. A lot of times things that look like they will be barriers actually aren't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounded like over a 1000 Lufthansa flights were cancelled as a result, I'm sure several heading to or returning from Heathrow. Fortunately we were flying on United, which I absolutely hate, but seemed to have their own ground crew that wasn't on strike at the airports in Munich and Frankfort.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a great trip! I look forward to hearing more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sitting on a plane not going anywhere drives me crazy, but I'm glad that slight delay was (if I'm reading correctly) your only major hiccup. I look forward to hearing more about the trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing worse than getting somewhere via plane and then having to sit there waiting for a gate to open up. But this was a close second. I finally unbuckled and stood up for awhile as we were waiting on the other passengers to arrive. By that time, I had 9 or 10 hours of seat time already and was just dying to stand for awhile.... so I did. Others quickly followed my lead.

      Delete
  6. I would love to go to Greece, but it probably won't happen. So, I'll enjoy your trip vicariously. This first part doesn't sound like a lot of fun--but that's travel for you! Once you get there, it's generally much better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not big into Greek history/mythology so this wouldn't have been my first choice but I did really enjoy the culture, food and just being someplace warm on the Mediterranean. It was also good exercise walking everywhere.

      Delete
  7. Fantastic Ed! In spite of the delays, I am so glad that you all made it there safely. Also I am delighted to learn that your daughter planned it all - even though she probably did not plan the groundstaff strike in Germany! I hope you make some great memories in Greece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We made a lot of great memories, especially since this was our first family vacation overseas where we weren't visiting family.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. A lot more. I'm going to publish them daily if I can keep up to get through them all.

      Delete
  9. It sounds like that could have ended up being a whole lot worse! We had a bad experience once having to sit for ages on the tarmac in Las Vegas, waiting for a thunderstorm to pass. It was summer and it got uncomfortably hot in the plane. I'm looking forward to the next chapter in your story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had to sit through a couple long stints waiting for gates and those are always miserable. With airlines cramming people in tighter and service declining, most airline travel these days is some degree of misery for me.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. I just hate it when things are out of my control but affect me in drastic ways.

      Delete
  11. Has my first comment been sent to Spam?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, just bad timing on your part and comment moderation enabled on my part.

      Delete
  12. What a wonderful adventure to go to Europe.
    The student trip to Japan was very different at my granddaughter's high school. They had too many students applying to go. KC wasn't chosen because she had to admit that she'd just been to Tokyo with all of us during the summer. Apparently the students came back with wonderful stories of the friends they'd made at homes they'd stayed at and things they learned.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment