Ordering Parts For the Next Project


Although I won't get this project done before spring break arrives, I did start it. At our old farm garden, the hydrant that we obtained water from was probably 200 yards away and required a fair amount of hose to reach it. My parents used this reel and hose and then when we took it over and expanded it, we also used it. As we were cleaning up our garden things to bring up here, I rescued it to perhaps use for our new garden.

It is on the backside of the house but not nearly as far. I'm guessing we probably only need 200 feet to reach our garden. But the old tires on this reel are beyond shot and some don't hold air anymore. Over the years, I've gotten in the habit of replacing these small pneumatic tires with solid rubber ones and have been much happier since. 

So I brought the reel into the garage and took off one of the wheels for measurements. It took some searching but I think I found some solid rubber wheels that will work. They are missing the hub length dimension but just from the scale of the picture, they should be close enough and I do have a bit of leeway since a threaded nut holds everything on.

They are on order and will hopefully arrive before spring break. If they indeed work as I hope, I should be able to swap them on fairly easily and then roll this cart around instead of dragging it like I have to now. I don't need all that hose so will strip off most of it and store it somewhere as spare. That will also make it much easier to move around and help increase the water pressure should we use it to attach to a sprinkler for emergency irrigation in case our severe drought continues on through this summer.



Comments

  1. That reminds me that out wheelbarrow needs a rubber wheel, but such tasks send my mind awhirl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those tasks seem to be ever present. I'm better at making a list of them and then knocking off several at one time when I'm in the right mood.

      Delete
  2. That's a useful little cart for a big property. We have a single reel but it doesn't hold nearly as much hose. (Which we don't really need anyway!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a smaller one too but it has always been a pain to use. It takes two people to unreel it or it falls over. The one above belonged to my parents and has enough weight that it doesn't tip over which is why I was quick to grab it and bring it home with me.

      Delete
  3. We have a hose reel and I'm thinking its wheels are solid rubber. Ours is plastic, too, but has stayed functional for many years. I like your metal one. (and its little basket!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a plastic one in an enclosed plastic box. It lasted for a handful of years and then fell apart. After that, I bought a small metal one that hasn't fallen apart but tips over whenever you try to unreel the hose from it. This one from the farm is probably 20 years old I'm guessing and after the new wheels, is in perfect shape and I can unreel hose from it single handedly.

      Delete
  4. I'm always happy when my hoses still work after a winter of non-use. I can't imagine having to deal with tires too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The leader hose leaked like a sieve when I hooked it up recently. I had to remove and bypass it.

      Delete
  5. I drive my son-in-law who works on a fishing boat crazy because I turn on the water and pull the hose all the way out and when I finish watering, I leave the hose out fully extended. He is the type that always has to have the hose coiled in a nice bundle. It is a good thing they don't stay too long when they visit because I think he gets tired from re-coiling my hoses every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that feeling... of your son in law. I like to return everything to it's rightful place when I'm done using it.

      Delete
  6. Those tires have seen some work. Good luck with the project and I will be a happy camper if I need to break out my hoses by spring break.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was an excellent save, and well worth putting in good working order!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Plastic breaks so quickly in Hawaii because of the salt air (I guess). We've had to change our hoses a couple of times already. I love how you're able to find solutions to everything.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment