Athens: Day One

 

These were the accommodations booked by my daughter and as we soon found out, were very well situated near all the sights. We were only a couple blocks from the subway and about six blocks from the base of the Acropolis upon which sits the world famous Parthenon building. Despite being jet lagged, we woke up in good time in the morning and set our sights on a Greek breakfast which we ate every morning at the motel that owned our building two blocks away.

Besides this table, there were two more tables full of food that we could eat from every morning, including some over easy fried eggs and ham along with one table full of various cakes. It sure beat the pants off any "free continental breakfast" I've ever eaten at an American motel chain and it was a good way to start our days in Athens.


According to my daughter's plan, our first day was to be spent walking around the area getting a lay of the land and decompressing from our travels. We soon found ourselves at the base of the Acropolis which lies in the center of Athens at the ruins of an amphitheater.

Looking through the fenced up openings, we could see the actual seating area built into the side of the hill. Although the seating was excellent and there wasn't a bad view anywhere, I can't imagine sitting on stone seats for the length of a performance. I'm sure the ancient Greeks didn't have any of those fold out stadium chairs for such things.

The Acropolis itself is gated off and one must buy tickets to visit it so we mostly walked around the flattened off hill itself which is how we found the prison where Socrates was held until he was forced to kill himself. 

We just kept walking up the hill that we were on and soon found ourselves at the top overlooking the Acropolis in the background and the amphitheater we had been at on the lower left. 

Looking back the other direction, we could see Athens sprawling all the way to the Saronic Sea. Actually, in any direction one looked you could see Athens sprawling as far as you could see. As I would learn, 5,000,000 people live in Athens which is half the population of all of Greece. Another factoid I learned is that they have a code limiting the height of buildings so everyone would have a view of the Acropolis and the Parthenon. Judging from the amount of photos I have of the Acropolis from various places I visited in town, it really works out that way even if it doesn't seem like it in this picture.


Excitedly, we had our first Greek lunch at a small café we found along our route. We had a very tasty salad complete with freshly fried Greek cheese and a deconstructed pork gyro with cucumber yogurt sauce. 


Still being quite jet lagged, we decided to complete our circle around the Acropolis and head back to our suite for a siesta. Above is the neighborhood closer to our suite known for their bitter grapefruit trees that only produced small orange size fruit in the arid climate. 

I almost stepped on this thing along the way back. At first I thought it was the world's longest caterpillar but upon closer inspection saw that it was actually dozens of caterpillars following each other nose to tail. Google told me they are actually called a pine processionary and are considered somewhat of a pest in Greece on the coniferous trees.


After a siesta, we decided to go out for a light dinner. Almost all the street cafes there put out sign boards or actual menus outside on the sidewalk to lure people into their establishment, many with English translations. The above translation caught my eye and I imagined a conversation that went something like:

Greek 1: This translates to chicken boobs. We can't use boobs can we?

Geek 2: How about we use chest instead?

Although hard to see, we settled on some steamed fish marinated in oil and

fried octopus. Both were very delicious along with the fresh bread that comes with any meal you eat in a cafe.

On our way back to the suite, we stopped in at a nearby bakery to buy some bottled water (not knowing if the water was safe to drink at that point. It was) and to peruse the tasty confections everywhere.

The sign assured me that it was all healthy!


Finally, my daughters showed me how my phone was keeping tabs on my steps I walked everyday. Since I don't exercise with my phone on my body, it didn't register a lot of steps. But as you can see over the 9 days of traveling and being in Athens, despite having a five day subway pass, we did a fair amount of walking every day, even surpassing 20,000 steps one day. On this day, day one, we did just about 18,500 steps so retired with a few sweets back to our suite and called it a day.

Comments

  1. So does "0% sugar-free" mean it's 100% sugar? lol. Loved the "chicken chest" too. Fun tidbits to remember.

    Great photos; it all looks so inviting, both sites and food. Interesting about the building code. Things like that help keep the uniqueness and charm of a place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure it meant everything was loaded full of sugar. I also found one later on in the trip that said everything was 0% Gluten Free as well.

      According to one person I talked too, in days gone by, most buildings were owned by an entire family with different children and their families living on separate floors. But since the financial crisis they had in 2012, a lot of that has gone away.

      Delete
  2. Challenging your daughter to plan this was brilliant, as was her plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She always complains about our itineraries so it seemed like the thing to do. Although I don't think her itinerary was any different than I would have planned, it gave her a lot of self confidence which I think is a great thing seeing she is headed off to college this fall.

      Delete
  3. This is on my bucket list for travel. It looks like an awesome place to visit! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely different than daily life here. I enjoyed the relaxed nature of the Greek culture.

      Delete
  4. The fact that your daughter planned in a 'decompress, get the lay of the land' day impressed the heck out of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although she probably won't admit that she needed a day to decompress, she knew us well enough to know we needed one!

      Delete
  5. Great pictures Ed! We saw the theater from the top, not the bottom - so this is like an extra side trip for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In later posts, I have linked a lot of your posts to mine since you wrote more detailed historical perspectives than I did. I have stuck mostly with cultural or family vacation perspective in my writings. But in finding the right post to link to mine, I ended up rereading most of your posts with fresh eyes and benefited greatly since I can now say, I was there too.

      Delete
  6. It's been 50+ years (gasp!) since I was in Greece and some of the scenery never changes! That's funny about the translations. My mother use to jokingly put "chicken bosoms" on our grocery list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's another 50 years to something that has been there for 2000?

      Delete
  7. That was a very enjoyable post to read! I love how they preserve the views. Here in Honolulu, the only preservation of view is Diamond Head. Quite sad how we are becoming a city of 400 feet high condominiums popping up more and more. The food looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've come to believe that if we wish to preserve any natural beauty in this world we are going to have to limit tourism. Otherwise, we are just going to crowd ourselves out.

      Delete
  8. The food looks wonderful! Lucky you're getting so many steps. I love included breakfasts, especially ones as extensive as those. (South Korea had some like that too) It starts out the day right without having the expense and time spent at a restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to mention, when we left for the morning and were walking along the streets, nearly every single restaurant/café was closed. I'm not sure if eating out in the morning is even an option short of stopping into a bakery.

      Delete
  9. That was a super trip your daughter planned for you. Everybody should be made to travel and experience a different culture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. The more experienced cultures the better too!

      Delete
  10. I'm envious of your trip. Have you read Mark Twain's experience in Athens in Innocent's Abroad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not. I'm not going to have to look into that.

      Delete
    2. I of course meant I'm NOW going to have to look into that.

      Delete
  11. I'm loving your photos of the Acropolis. We were there too and just marveled at the history of it. I agree that it's awesome your daughter was able to plan some of this. I'm loving this adventure of yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing so many years of history at one spot is hard to not be awed.

      Delete
  12. I am looking forward to your trip. I believe our daughter and son in law are going to Spain and Greece in June:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha! Love the "0% Sugar Free" sign! The rooms in your hotel building look like they have nice big windows. Did you get a good view from your room?

    Processionary caterpillars are a huge pest here in the UK -- not sure if it's exactly the same kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were on the second floor and could only see the building across the street. But we could go up to the roof of the main hotel a block away and see the Acropolis.

      Delete

Post a Comment