Time Through Vegetation

 

2014

When I took this picture, I was focused more on the new concrete driveway than I was the vegetation on the left side but it is the first picture I can find that shows what I am going to write about. We had purchased this house three years prior and removed a giant large dead oak tree near the corner of the garage where the pad jogs to the left. We also did three other large dead trees on the far side of the house at the same time. All would have smashed our house to pieces had they fallen the wrong way. 

Seven more years would go by and then on a warm spring day in 2021, while standing in the garage with my two girls, waiting for the school bus to come, the entire top half of the tree on the very left of the photo broke off and fell into our driveway completely blocking it. I have seen plenty of trees succumb to gravity due to chainsaw cuts, but this is the first spontaneous break in half of a tree I have ever seen. Fortunately, none of us were hurt and the kids on the bus sure gazed at the mess with wide eyes when they arrived a few minutes after it broke. I no longer remember what kind of tree it was but I don't remember it being spectacularly pretty so I wasn't too sorry to see it go.

Flash forward to the big snow storm we had a few weeks ago that dumped 27 inches of snow in three days on us. It was too much for the second tree from the left and the next one along the driveway towards the garage, a mulberry I think, and about a third of it broke off and fell next to the bump out pad on the left side of the garage where my daughter parks her car. Fortunately, it just missed the car and I cleared what I could from the cleaned driveway and called it good for the time being.

Now, several weeks later, the snow has largely melted except for piles here and there and I thought I would get a jump start on spring on one warm February day. I fired up my chainsaw and took care of another large limb that fell on the city road that runs by the front of our house. I never saw it initially but a large snow plow during the storm pushed it to the side of the road so it was passable in one lane and buried it in many feet of snow. A week of -20 F temperatures that followed froze it in place solidly. But now free of snow, I cut it up and disposed of it so my neighbors and I can use both lanes again. 

I then set my sights on the Mulberry tree that nearly squashed my daughter's car and made a few half hearted cuts at the limb before stopping. There was still snow on the bank that is was growing from, the same bank that I fell on and broke three ribs back in 2021, and there was a lot of weight still being suspended 10 feet in the air by the branches poking into the ground. I also looked up at the tree and saw that it was looking rather poor and has been for a number of years. The trunk was split and starting to rot. It was time to come down and so I hired my tree guy and the following day, it was all gone to what you see below.

Now that it is gone, I'm thinking of the possibilities of what to do with that slope. Part of me wants to build a large retaining wall out of huge rocks to make it a nicer place to walk above and below. But I know that would cost a lot of money and I would need to hire it out. My next option would be to use that space to plant something. A row of small trees that are ornamental or fruit bearing perhaps. A hedge? Extend my two lilac bushes at the very end of the driveway and great a long row? I'm not sure yet and in no hurry to decide. We still have a fair amount of winter left to go despite what the groundhog said this morning (Feb 2) as I write this.

2024


Comments

  1. WHAT A CHANGE WROUGHT BY TIME AND WEATHER (capslock)

    I am reminded of the time that my friend and I redid the roof on an addition to our old, two-storey house. We went away for a week right afterward, and our tree fell on it, and the roof needed to be repaired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I looked at your two photos, before reading your post, all I could focus on was your new building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does open up our backyard with those trees gone.

      Delete
  3. Large trees may look pretty bit they are a hazard. They also cause neighbor problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, the majority of my trees are poor looking specimens. But they are out of reach of our house now. The one in reach is a beautiful, sturdy oak.

      Delete
  4. I think it looks great as is! I didn't realize you had so many big trees; they can be quite dangerous in snow and windstorms. The ice storm we had 10 years ago was a doozy and did in a bunch of trees. (and power lines)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, all those trees in the background our mine and probably only one third of the total. I don’t mow under most of them so they are free to fall as they please.

      Delete
  5. How nice to have options! If it were here in Honolulu, I would plant pikake bushes as a hedge and enjoy the fragrant flowers. The main decider should be your wife.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our horse chestnut fell in Illinois too. Thank goodness it didn't fall on the house. It fell over the fire hydrant so firefighters came and cleared off a lot of the debris. However, we still had to hire tree trimmers to get rid of the rest of the tree.

    I like the idea of ornamental or fruit bearing bushes. :-) That would be fun! Would blueberries grow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly, if the soil was amended. I think they like fairly acidic soil. The only problem that I would have with those or any other fruits is that it would be nearly impossible to pick them safely on such a steep hillside.

      Delete
  7. It's always sad (to me) to see trees go, but they can certainly present danger which must be dealt with. I like your idea of a retaining wall to level out the area next to the driveway, but you're right about the cost. Is there much danger of erosion? It looks well vegetated, so I'm guessing not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The upstream drainage goes under the end of our driveway through a culvert and has eroded a gully about 18 inches deep at the bottom of the draw. I have taken steps to slow the water down and that has helped but a more permanent solution is needed to prevent it entirely.

      Delete
  8. Trees are a problem. I was blessed not to have trees on my house after Hurricane Matthew, but not all my neighbors were as lucky. I am looking to cut some of the trees on my property, but mostly they're populars and they are not so popular as they grew and block the view of "the Buffalo" (a mountain to our north)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We’ve had some popular trees over the years too. They grow fast and die fast.

      Delete

Post a Comment