Miscellaneous

 


While running an errand not long ago, I came across this scene. It was extremely foggy and was forecasted to rain off and on all day long, and yet there was a crew of men on the gas station in the background tearing up the roof from the looks of things. It captured my attention anyway.

A few years ago, we suffered from a derecho that knocked down a couple trees in our yard creating a huge among of debris. One of those trees, closer to my burn pit and mowed part of our yard, I cut up and it is mostly in a pile of pieces suitable for burning outside in the firepit. The small stuff went into one brush pile. The second tree was on the far knob and on a very steep portion. I cut up the top part and piled all the smaller stuff where it fell. My thought is that I would burn both piles when there was snow on the ground so that I didn't have to worry about the fire getting away in the taller grasses of this unmowed portion and burning down my house or worse, a neighbor's house. 

After two years of not enough snow to do such, we finally got enough snow but burning down the pile has still proved challenging. Twenty-six inches of snow is a lot more snow than I need for brush pile burning purposes. My first attempt didn't do much of anything. My second attempt, after the majority of the snow had melted off the top of this pile, I thought was going to be successful when I took this photo. But it too just petered out. The space between the sticks and the wet outer bark of the sticks meant that it just couldn't burn hot enough to span the gaps. It too has petered out. I may have to go to plan B and just wait until the snow is gone, the brush dries from the moisture and I have to string out every garden hose I have just to keep it contained. 

Fortunately, I can still make a mean pizza. My wife informed me that I would be making pizza and gave me the two kinds, one I haven't made in many years and one I have never made. Fortunately, she helped me out so I got the crust ready and did the baking but she did the "decorating" which she enjoys. Above is a crab rangoon pizza, one of our favorites. We don't have a recipe and just winged it after eating one in a specialty pizza parlor in the urban jungle many years ago. It is really delicious.

Below is a baked potato pizza, one neither of us has ever made before. It wasn't bad but needed a lot more seasoning. Like all things made with potatoes, it takes a lot of seasoning to be enough. But it has great potential.

Both pizzas were baked using our favorite method, baking in cast iron pans that have been preheated to 450 degrees F before we add the crust and toppings. 



Comments

  1. I wonder if it was the same derecho that hit us. We were without power for almost 4 days, and lost some shingles. I now feel secure with our updated power lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think so. The one that hit us was localized to the southern part of the state.

      Delete
  2. I remember your derecho! Baked potato pizza sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was more accurately a loaded baked potato pizza though we forgot bacon, which wouldn't interest you anyway. But it had a sour cream sauce, chives, baked potato chunks and cheese. It needed a lot more salt and pepper than we put on.

      Delete
  3. Too bad you don't do ceramics. One method is digging a hole, and burning wood. I save up my logs and larger branches for our raku event - which I don't attend because it is too far for me to drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once stopped at a Canadian potter that did exclusively wood fired work. I was amazed at the amount of wood he needed for a successful firing.

      Delete
  4. I'm intrigued by your pizzas. I would never be allowed to be so creative for our traditional Friday Night Pizza, but I'm thinking Dan would like them for random lunches. Maybe I'll have to call them something else besides "pizza" lol. How long do you bake them in the cast iron skillet? Do you cover the pan or leave it uncovered while it cooks? They look really, really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally we are pretty plain with our pizzas. I make one cheese for the girls and then one "trash" one for me which usually is some sausage and whatever vegetables we have handy. Occasionally my wife will request a Margaretta pizza. However, maybe 7 or 8 years ago, we went to a pizza place in our capital city known for their eccentric pizzas and that is where we tried a few that we weren't used to, one of them being the crab rangoon pizza. It is very delicious but since I have to fry the wonton wrappers separately, it is more work and doesn't get made very often.

      The key is to get the cast iron pan scorching hot. I usually preheat the oven to 450 F with the pans already in the oven and then give them an extra ten minutes after the oven is heated up to stabilize their temps. I pull one pan out at a time, add about a tablespoon of olive oil to is and swirl it around to coat, add the dough which will start sizzling and then the rest of the toppings. I put it back in the 450 F oven uncovered for a varied amount of time. The cheese only pizza is for maybe 10 minutes until the cheese starts to brown. My trash pizza takes a bit longer for the cheese to brown. The loaded bake potato pizza was in for maybe close to 20 minutes.

      I just really love cast iron pans because I can add lots of toppings and I don't have any difficulties getting it into the oven with a peel nor do I have to worry about toppings melting off the pizza and creating a mess on the bottom of the oven. The crust I use gets nice and crisp though others I have used, like sourdough, don't but most seem to be completely done within 10 minutes since they are partially cooked before you even get your pan into the oven.

      Delete
  5. The pizzas sound very creative, Ed. I lack that sort of innovation with my pizzas.

    Tearing off a roof in a snowstorm. Stranger things have occurred.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Burning in the snow is a good idea, but I can imagine how hard it would be with that much snow, and even after it mostly melted, the moisture content of the wood would still be high. I can't imagine ordering a baked potato pizza, but the other one looked great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pizzas are making me hungry. They look wonderful. Art is saying we need to have pizza for Super Bowl Sunday. But ummm... we buy Sam's Club combo pizza and add frozen spinach and anchovies. My daughter thinks we're crazy. We used to make our own pizzas after our Italian buddy showed us how to do it. But that was decades ago.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't imagine doing a burn pile in winter. Wow!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment