John Chicken: Carrier and Criminal?


Not to long ago, I discovered more articles on the life of my 4th great grandfather Joseph Chicken that made me desire to once again, take up all the information I have and seek out my 5th great grandparents. I compiled all the information I knew about his parents.

They are from England.

His father's name is John and he is a carrier.

He had no memories of his mother from a young age.

Not a very in depth list for sure but something to go on at least. I did know that Joseph had lived in Durham county, England in 1841 when he was listed at being 25 and that he immigrated to America with his wife and three children in 1849 when he was around 34 years old. So I started searching in Durham county and came across a hit fairly quickly.

John Chicken was baptized in Durham County on 4 May 1791. Assuming he was born that same year, he was 21 years old when he married Ann Hutton also in Durham County on 13 Dec 1812. This latter date creates a problem because I have always listed Joseph's birthday as Nov 1811 which would make him an illegitimate child by nearly two years. This just didn't happen back then. The couple who got pregnant while unmarried just got married quickly and hoped nobody would do that math. I have lots of ancestors in my tree born 7 to 8 months after their parent's marriage. But I don't have a lot of faith in the Nov 1811 birthdate anyway. It was what was recorded on the 1900 Census when Joseph would have been 89 and probably had forgotten how old he was. The rest of his census record trail supports this  because when back figuring from his age recorded by the census taker, he was born anywhere from 1811 to 1820.  

Assuming Joseph Chicken was their son, he had a brother born to John and Ann around 1816 due to baptismal records. Unfortunately John Jr. as he was named only lived to be 5 years old before dying on 18 Jan 1821. His record says he is the son of John Chicken, carrier, of New Elvet which is a town in Durham County. Also, the burial records indicate Ann Chicken, died on 8 May 1816 and is buried at St. Oswald, Shincliffe, Durham County and is noted as the wife of John, the carrier. 

So the birth of son John Jr and death of Ann Chicken both in 1816 lead me to suspect she died in the process or shortly after giving birth. Her death record lists her as being 31 at the time. This also would mesh with Joseph Chicken stating he never knew his mother or had any memories of her since he would have been just over 4 at the most and most likely younger than that. 

John Chicken Sr would remarry 15 Mar 1818 to Mary Martin and would get in a fair amount of trouble. I have two articles which I will post at the end for those interested in reading them. In one, John and Mary were found guilty of fraud and sent to prison for a short time because they were unable to pay their fine and in the other a month later, he was declared insolvent in debtors court. I have found other articles of John being fined for parking his wagon (as a carrier) illegally. Right or wrong, I don't get the impression he was of the finest cloth in the social fabric of England.

He and second wife Mary would go on to have at least four more children eventually moving to Witton-Gilbert, Durham County where he is found on the 1841 Census, about 15 miles as the crow flies from where Joseph was living. John died the following year at age 51 and is buried in the same town. Wife Mary would continue to be found in census records through 1861 living with her oldest daughter Mary before disappearing from records. One person has her dying soon after in 1861 but I haven't seen any records verifying this.

Joseph left with his family in 1849, 7 years after his father's death. To me this isn't really surprising, His only biological brother (guessing here) died many years earlier and with the death of his father, there were no ties to bind him to England. Being a coal miner, there probably wasn't much upward mobility in his status in life and so it made perfect sense to sail off for America and leave his stepmother and 4 half siblings behind. Combine all that and the numerous records listing John as a carrier, or person who delivers people or cargo by horse, Joseph's marriage record stating his father John was a carrier and Joseph himself saying he did carrier duties as early he could remember with his father's team, I have a high degree of confidence that these are probably his parents. 

It would help if I could turn up a baptism record for Joseph like I have for all his other full and half siblings but I can't. Either it was never recorded or maybe never happened. Perhaps he was a bastard child after all which could explain the lack of baptismal records too. Another convincing piece of circumstantial evidence is that Joseph, names his first born son John. It was very common practice to name the first born son after the father's father and the second son after the wife's father. Also common was to name the third born son after the father's grandfather. That son happens to be my 4th great grandfather Joseph Chicken.

Also in the records of Elvet, Durham County, England is a Joseph Chicken, also a carrier, who died 29 Dec 1829 and is buried in the same cemetery as John Chicken's first wife Ann Hutton Chicken. I may have also found my 6th great grandparent.

Tyne Mercury Northumberland and Durham and Cumberland Gazette
23 Oct 1821 - page 4

Tyne Mercury Northumberland and Durham and Cumberland Gazette
20 Nov 1821 - page 3

[Post written in March 2023 but never made it out of draft status until recently.]

Comments

  1. I thought I had never met anyone with the name, but then a name, Barry, came to mind along with a very fuzzy image. So, not I think that I may have taught a Barry Chicken about 50 years ago. Or maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The closest I have come is meeting a woman, distant cousin, whose maiden name was Chicken. Her husband was quite relieved that at least part of the family had changed their surname to something more respectable, i.e. Baker. His wife, took me to see the graves of her father and grandfather, both named Thomas Chicken. I have also had email correspondence with a few Chickens too but never met any of those in person.

      Delete
  2. I've never met or taught a Chicken, but it probably isn't an unusual name. I've found plenty of children born out of wedlock in various family trees whose parents never married. My husband's paternal grandfather was one such. His sister and he were dumped on their grandparents' doorstep by their mother; she went on to marry someone else and have children with him. Husband's grandfather was out on his own at about 14, trying to take care of/support his younger sister. A messy story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have too. I mentioned that in an attempt to explain why Joseph Chicken Sr's birthday was highly variable on all the documents I had on him but I forgot to include that sentence. The problem of pulling something from draft after long periods of time. Between census records, newspaper articles and tombstone engravings, his birth year varies by ten years. A birth certificate or record might solve that but alas there is none. My guess is that he was indeed illegitimate and either altered his age to suit his needs OR, with his mom dying at an early age and being the son of a neer do well, never really new it from the start.

      Delete
  3. You are lucky to get so much information, that too of the 4th great grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure, this was a very rare find. I have never found anything else quite so detailed on any of my 4th great grandparents that lead me two more generations back.

      Delete
  4. What a tangled and interesting web you have for a family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Particularly this branch. I have many a branch that is fairly boring, mostly because I don't have access to newspapers articles of their lives, and don't get a lot of writing about on this blog as a result.

      Delete
  5. Your ability to learn details of your family always amaze me--especially going back to the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The UK research is slow as I am unfamiliar with names and geography divisions like states, counties and townships like we have here.

      Delete
  6. Another great job on the research, Ed. I have never met a Chicken. It seems like it might be more common but I guess not. Thanks for another interesting update.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've met lots of chickens over the years, though I would assume most of them would rather not have been called that name.

      Delete
  7. It appears that as an amateur genealogist you have acquired several useful skills but perhaps tenacity is the most useful of them all.
    P.S. I humbly suggest that this is an error: "John Chicken Sr would remarry 15 Mar 2018 to Mary Martin..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn it, I forgot to mention the time machine he built.

      Delete

Post a Comment