Digging Out

 


We interrupt this blog for a brief post about the big snow storm that hammered us. Unlike many predicted a week out by the weather people, this one arrived and delivered. I cleared about 8 inches of snow off our driveway twice, once the first morning and once the second morning after the 36 hour storm finally left for the east coast. I don't know how much snow that means we had but it was a lot. It was all very wet snow which tends to collapse down on itself with time. Also, the forecasted 40 mph winds for the second day of the storm did hit, breaking a number of branches off our snow laden trees and blowing snow this way and that. Had it been a real dry snow, it would have been a deadly storm because dry snow with wind produces whiteouts and drifts taller than houses. But with this snow being so wet, the drifts didn't happen and the whiteouts were not as bad as they can be. 

My guess would be from 12 to 16 which is what various weather people predicted. 

After clearing my driveway and sidewalk with the snowblower that could barely handle the 8 inches of wet snow at a time, I pondered what those people like AC up in Canada would be doing with little blowers attached to sticks. My guess, limbering up fingers to make a phone call to a grandson. I didn't have that worry so pondered how beautiful it all was looking back at my snowblower and the house and thus took the above picture with my smartphone. In case you are wondering, the snow covered car belongs to my college bound oldest daughter and I thought it would be a good lesson to clear it herself later today.

The near future doesn't look particularly good if you are not looking forward to snow. Coming off a drought deficit of 18 inches of moisture which roughly coincides with 18 feet of snow, I've been praying for a heavy snow year this year and thus far it has delivered. We have a small storm coming perhaps later tonight good for maybe another inch and then one at the end of the week they are promising may leave another foot of snow. I hope so. It would be nice to start out new garden in the spring with at least some moisture. When I tilled it the last time, it was nothing but fine powder. 

Thanks for reading this unscheduled post and back to the normal routine with another post tomorrow as normally scheduled.

Comments

  1. Ed, you did a very tidy job of snow blowing! Can't say I miss those kinds of snows, but it's fun to admire them on someone else's blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to get to it early so that others haven't driven over it and packed it down where it will remain a sheet of ice until spring.

      Delete
  2. AC is doing pretty well. We haven't had as much as you, and the contractor does the driveway -- this time without flinging a rock through his window. The walk is short and wasn't bad and Sue cleared it. We haven't used that stick thing yet. It was for the walk, but I don't think it will ever be used. It is here more for insurance, as it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good Ed.

    Man, that sounds like a lot of snow. To Leigh's point, much more enjoyable when observed via the InterWeb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a matter of a few hours, we are supposed to get another foot of the stuff, this time lighter and with stiff winds so we will have a full fledged blizzard, the first in a few years.

      Delete
    2. How much do you have to worry about snow impacting your roof? Usually not an issue here, but last year's storm did collapse a few roofs. Actually killed a woman out on her porch.

      Delete
    3. I honestly don't know what roof limits are up here. This last snow shouldn't be a problem since it will be dry and light. The first snow though was really wet but hasn't created any issues thus far. I can't recall the last time I've read of a roof collapsing anywhere around here that wasn't flat to start with, i.e. not pitched to 4:12 as is common here.

      Delete
  4. That is a beautiful photo; the trees are magical, and your house looks inviting. I wonder how older folks like my daughter's in-laws handle that amount of snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many hire it done as there are private plows running everywhere yesterday and today. But I see some people still digging out cars on side streets.

      Delete
  5. I honestly didn't realize you had a posting schedule, Ed! Your picture makes the snow look beautiful but I'm sure having to do all that work took away some of the charm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do Monday, Wednesday and Friday, or at least have done it that way for the last five years or so. For the previous 15, I did one daily.

      Delete
  6. That is such a beautiful photo! The colors, lighting, everything! All we have here is green, green, and more green without a chance of snow. Of which, I am very grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it turned out well. It looked almost magical which is typical for the first real snow of the season. By the end of winter however, we will just be cursing as we clear it.

      Delete
  7. That's beyond comprehension for this southern girl. We aren't equipped for snow down here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother, from Alabama, talks about the runs on grocery stores for bread and milk every time even a dusting of snow is forecasted and how the roads will be full of wrecked cars. We still get our share of wrecked cars but I expect we will be driving on snowpack for the next month or so by the time this is all over.

      Delete
    2. The heavy wet snow may have some advantages but it's just too difficult to handle. I shovel so it's a lot of work.

      Delete
    3. I just mostly use the shovel for the front porch and some cleanup where it isn't practical for the snowblower and I can attest, it was a lot of work. The shovel just pushed the snow into icy rocks and were heavy to remove.

      Delete
  8. Yep, people rush to buy bread and milk even if they don't eat bread or drink milk. Beautiful picture, and it looks like at least one car did not get garage coverage! We're supposed to get snow here Monday, and I'll be out of town. Kind of bummed about that -- I do enjoy the occasional snowfall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would rather have the snow than the severe storms and tornadoes those of you on the southern end of the low are getting!

      Yeah that is my daughter's car. She has been a bit bummed about having to clean it off. Doesn't understand when I tell her it builds character and makes her appreciate the garage she will have in the future.

      Delete
  9. That's pretty, just like taking icing off a cake! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was a lovely sight, especially knowing it was also warm inside.

      Delete

Post a Comment