Alive... For Now

 

Back deck after 26" of snow, 50 mph winds and -20F temperatures

By Iowan standards the first part of the storm wasn't too bad. Sure it was a lot of snow, about 15" worth, and more snow than we had seen in the past two years combined, but everything was still drivable once you made it out of the driveway. There were branches down and side streets that were more one way than the normal two way, but one could get around.

Then the hammer dropped with a good old fashioned blizzard that lasted for two days. It left another 11" of snow but came with high winds that blew it around and piled it in deep drifts anywhere it could. Clearing out the driveway became an exercise of patience as the snow you got ride of flew downwind to the next neighbor's driveway and my driveway would fill in with the upwind neighbor's snow. I blew through a tank of gas in four days of snow blowing. I probably haven't used a tank of gas per SEASON for three or four years. 

In retrospect, there was no hurry to clear the driveway as nothing was open anyway. In fact, our street wasn't open even though it is a declared emergency route. Due to the safety of working in a blizzard, the snow plows had been pulled off duty until conditions improved. We used that time to do a lot of baking and cooking, reading and napping in front of a fire and occasionally I would get some cardio in by clearing out the driveway of 2 feet tall drifts of snow before they became five feet tall.

The the hammer dropped with a bomb cyclone or whatever the name de'Jour is these days. Temperatures plunged to -20 degrees below zero, Fahrenheit no less. Random booms of noise would happen throughout the night as the temperatures changed our knowledge of physics. Fortunately, it helped sort of freeze the snow in place so it didn't blow quite so bad and this morning, all there was is a life skiff of snow over our driveway. 

We did make it to church, one of a few dozen but went right back home. If just doesn't feel like a good thing to be walking outside of a vehicle when your brain and exposed teeth instantly start hurting. The car is parked and I started another fire in our fireplace, still a bit frosty from our previous fire. I have to leave the damper open part way when we go to bed but by morning, the fire is out, the damper is still partway open and as you can see, colder, heavier air is making it's presence known. Less than a few minutes after I snapped this phone, the rime of ice on the outside had melted off and maybe 30 minutes later, I finally felt some heat start entering into my body instead of rushing to leave it.

We still have one more day of cold with another night of -20F actual temperature. If you count windchill, it is south of -50 the last time I heard. After that, we start getting into single digit highs without a negative sign and only single digit negative lows for a week or so. Doable as long as you aren't outside for long periods of time. 

My refuge for the week


Comments

  1. That is brutal weather. I was interested in how it feels to be out in those temperatures. Brain and teeth hurting and would you get quick frostbite on any exposed body parts. We've been at 18 degrees this morning which is too cold for me. I'm thankful for my cozy fireplace too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I typically minimize skin exposure to just the front of my face. As long as I'm active and keeping my blood pumping, it can stay warmish and frostbite isn't a worry for shorter durations. But if I were to be idle or to be hour for hours on end in such weather, frostbite would definitely be a concern.

      On days like we are having, I limit my exposure from car to store and store to car and call it a day. Next week, we will see above freezing point temperatures again, hopefully.

      Delete
  2. I haven't had a winter like that since Michigan. We're supposed to get a snow starting early tomorrow morning and running through Tuesday, but the other "great snows" was mostly rain. Stay safe and enjoy the fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We received a couple inches more than our average annual snowfall of 24", which I'm sure has been trending down due to global warming. What was really rare was receiving 14" of that as really wet snow. Typically we see dry snow of a few inches but the wind blows it into drifts 10 feet tall in town so it seems like we got a lot more. One just has to balance all the farm fields surrounding town with very little snow on them.

      Delete
  3. Brrr, Ed. We are supposed to hit the low teens with the potential of rain tonight and tomorrow (so, yay ice), but that sounds miserable. Perfectly logical to stay in.

    For something like this, is school for your kids canceled?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most likely a delayed start. School was cancelled mid day on Monday last week and then the kids went back all day Thursday only to have Friday cancelled due to the second blizzard that hit. Today, Monday, is already off due to national holiday. Tomorrow is forecasted to be around -17 F at dawn so I'm guessing they will delay the start two hours as long as the roads are passable. All the roads around me are plowed but I still see some complaining on social media that they are still waiting for the plows to come by.

      Delete
  4. When you get into the -20s, there not a huge difference in the two systems. They equal out in the 30s IIRC, but I am not going to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct. I often convert low temperature to Celsius for the benefit of my in-laws in the Philippines and find myself disappointed that at these low temperatures, there isn't a lot of difference. The in-laws are impressed anyway since cold there is something like 50 F here.

      Delete
  5. That is frightful weather. I think you said a weather bomb. Stay safe. Keep warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they called it a bomb cyclone though I'm not sure on the technicalities of what makes one a bomb cyclone. They can call it whatever they want but when the say -20 F for an actual temperature, my attention is absolute.

      Delete
  6. Reminds me of Laura Ingalls Wilder's The Long Winter. Brrr!!! I'm so glad you are cozy and safe. We're too far south for that snow, but did get a lot of rain. The bitter wind makes it pretty miserable, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think about that story as well but thanks to global warming, I don't think I'll have to endure it for as long as they did. It sounds like on the end of the long range forecasts, we should see above freezing temperatures again in another 9 to 10 days.

      Delete
  7. I've said it before and I'll say it again. This is beyond my comprehension. We ended up with roughly an inch of indeterminate precipitation (freezing rain, sleet, snow?), though I actually see some light flurries coming down right now. It was 15 when I walked this morning, but I had to cut it short when a wintry mix began falling. I think we're supposed to get between 10-12 degrees the next two nights and not above freezing until Wednesday. I'm ready for sunshine and warmth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought my daughter had a lot of snow in Chicagoland, BUT you win! Good gosh! That's a ton of snow! She said she hurt her back shoveling snow from the driveway after the snow truck went by.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment