Rehab Project

 


One of the tools we brought up from the farm garden was this antique furrow maker. I'm not sure how old it is but I know it is older than I am because all my garden planting memories involve pushing this thing around. As I unloaded out of the van upon our return, I noticed it was looking pretty rough. One handle had broken off and both handles were a bit spunky and cracked in places. The steel was in good shape but the bolts were rusted and many were a bit loose. Finally, the wheel had been flat spotted in a couple places.

After looking at if for a few minutes, I thought this would be a fairly easy restoration project. I could make new oak handles, straighten out the wheel a bit and give all the steel a good coat of paint. I lubricated all the bolts and later was able to remove all but two of them. One I plan to grind off and just replace with a stainless version. The other actually holds the plow share onto the shank and has a special plow bolt. Since it was one of the bolts still in great shape and securely tight, I'll just leave it in place. 

It took me about a half hour to disassemble everything and another half hour to order the stainless replacement hardware. Unfortunately, our local mom and pop hardware store closed it's doors earlier this year when the owners retired and it was the only place guaranteed to have all the sizes required and that could be purchased by the piece. The nearest big box store might have some of the bolts but most definitely not all and require you to buy them in odd numbered packages at a high price. Option three for me is to go online to a fastener warehouse type place and buy all the items I need in one place and for a decent price but in quantities two or three times more than I need. It probably compares similarly to go to the next nearest mom and pop store which requires fuel and time and always has the risk of not having exactly what I need, especially one fairly long axle bolt in stainless. In the end, I chose the online fastener warehouse and the parts are being shipped right to my door. The extras will go in my spare bolt bins for a future undetermined project and while waiting for them to arrive, I can fashion new handles and clean/paint the steel pieces. 

Comments

  1. What a cool project. Make sure family members know of it's history. Looks like it could still work if you have a big garden. We have my grandpa's wheelbarrow. I restored it 37 years ago. When sandblasting the bowl, we found "WPA" stamped into the back of it! Yep, my grandpa DID work for the WPA (Works Progress Administration) in the early days. Pretty sure he didn't steal it, but probably went home with him after the project was done. I replaced the handles, and the bearings with the rusted out steel wheel, and later the tire. My son has it now. Better than any of the new ones. Have fun with the project! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My great grandparents met at a WPA project! My great grandfather was working and my great grandmother was helping to make and serve the meals.

      Delete
    2. What a cool history! Also, that's a sneaky way that he could try out her cooking before marrying her! Linda in Kansas

      Delete
    3. Try an area county history museum. We have a nearby one that has tons of old farm equipment. Bet they can give you some information on your implement. Linda in Kansas

      Delete
  2. I have something similar that has a little moldboard plow and a cultivator attachment that I rescued from the rubble of my grandparent's barn after the tornado. It also had a bent wheel which I carefully straightened, but it seems like if I look at it wrong it bends into a new out of round shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother bought a new version that also comes with those attachments and I have thought about buying one myself. But since we mostly mulch where as my brother doesn't and just keeps the weeds down, I haven't pulled the trigger.

      In the process of restoring this one, it looks like it could have had attachments once upon a time due to the number of holes for adjustments, but it wouldn't be a quick change thing like the modern versions. I really would like to identify it and perhaps see if I can locate some old attachments for it.

      Delete
  3. You seem to have made the best choice under the circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the time I wrote this post, I wasn't fully convinced but I am now. Hint, I just finished refinishing and assembling it this morning and wrote an upcoming post on it.

      Delete
  4. I think I'd rather use a tiller and keep that as a conversation piece. It's neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't for cultivation, or if it is was, yes a tiller is much more desirable. It is just for digging the furrow to plant seeds into. I like it because by staring off in the distance, it is very easy to get fairly straight rows.

      Delete
  5. I haven't seen an instrument like that in a long time. In fact, I'm not sure I've EVER seen one, except in pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've looked and haven't found one exactly like that. But I haven't done a very exhaustive search. I need to do a bit more digging yet before throwing in the towel.

      Delete
  6. I've never seen one of those but could see it as rustic decor for a farm-type place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From my google search, there are a number of similar looking ones out there but none that I have found list a manufacturer nor did I find a manufacturer's mark anywhere on it. Just the metal pieces alone sell for quite a bit of money though.

      Delete
  7. The old timers had a few of these simple garden machines that helped with gardening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect it is from my grandfather's generation or possibly older.

      Delete
  8. Nice find! We had one at one time, gave it to my cousin who fixed it up proper. There used to be an old time store and I had a catalogue, it was interesting to look through. I cannot recall the name:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't classify it as a find since I have always known it in my life. It has always been what we use to make rows in our garden when planting seeds.

      Delete
  9. What a great project! Even if you simply turn it into a lawn ornament, that would be cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will most definitely see service in next year's garden creating rows!

      Delete
  10. I love old pieces of furniture, tools, etc. Unfortunately, my kids don't so my collection will probably be dumped. So sad. The old stuff was made to last, unlike today's modern conveniences that become throw aways after a few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t own a lot of antiques but this is an exception since I still get a lot of utility from it every spring.

      Delete
  11. Definitely a neat restoration project. I'm glad you're tackling it and hope you find the pieces you need. Have you checked eBay? They sometimes have listings for odd spare parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has all the parts to function as we have always used it. Since I wrote this post, I have gotten is restored and it looks excellent and I have another post on the finished product. I would like to find the manufacturer and see if it came with other attachments though. Many similar looking ones had a harrow attachment behind the plow shank. But I don't see any evidence that this one had one as the unused holes are pristine. I have found a few that look similar but nothing yet that look identical to the one I have.

      Delete

Post a Comment