Five Years With a Hike

 

A little while ago was my mom's fifth death anniversary and as I have done in the past, I honored her name by going on her favorite hike. When I started doing it, I didn't think too much about the weather which is highly variable temperature wise at this time of the year. For the last couple years, it has been extremely cold. This year for a pleasant change, it was excellent hiking weather though perhaps still a bit on the brisk side if one is just sitting around.

Due to our extreme drought, the river was very low and I'm pretty sure I could have waded across it at several places. 


I seem to recall the wooded area we hike through burned a handful of years back but can't remember the details any longer. But the evidence of the burning is still very evident. There is also a lot of evidence of the park service thinning out the trees to create a more native environment along the river. They do this by girdling the trees to kill them and apparently just leaving them. There were a lot of big branches that have rotted off and fallen, many near the trail and since this was a fairly breezy day, it made me a bit nervous. I never lingered under any of these girdled trees. 

I always enjoy seeing these beech trees at this time of the year. Their white bark stands out in stark contrast to the mainly oak trees that are everywhere else.

The path along the river is covered in leaves but due to the decades of use, it is distinct never the less. 

Afterwards, since besides my family a couple other people joined along, we took them to a nearby historic town where there is a defunct bridge across the river. In my youth, cars still drove across it on a single boarded lane after flashing their lights to let oncoming traffic know they were heading across. I was always worried about having to navigate this bridge when I got my license. I'm not sure if they closed it to traffic before or after I got my license, but I never had opportunity to drive across it which was fine by me. After the new bridge was built a half mile or so upstream, this one was closed down and has been converted to just a walking path across the river. These old metal framework bridges, once so plentiful, are now fairly rare anymore. This may be the only one left across this river and I know of just a few others across some smaller rivers in the area. 

With the sun setting, we walked back to our vehicle and headed home. Life has certainly changed for me in the last five years and rarely does a day go by when I'm not thinking about mom is some aspect of my life. Mostly I just wish she had got to see all her two granddaughters have accomplished in the last five years. She would be so proud.

Comments

  1. I love to hear you talk about your mom. It's a wonderful thing to be remembered so lovingly by your children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there is a saying that goes something like, "You only die when your name stops being used." I hope her name keeps being used at least through my kids generation.

      Delete
  2. Nice remembrance and photos. My pareidolia is at work, and in the second photo, I see a creature crawling toward me in the forefront on the right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I didn't see your creature while I was walking. I might have ended up running!

      Delete
  3. She lives on in your memory, and I really believe she is somewhere in the ether space looking in and touching lives and feeling proud of you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to remember your mother. I think I'd be nervous about that bridge too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What scared me the most was that it had large planks for the wheels on either side of the car. I was always scared that I would drive off the planks and fall through the thinner boards below and become stuck or end up in the water. According to family legend, my grandfather did fall through a very similar bridge with a combine but he only became stuck and didn't end up in the water.

      Delete
  5. Anniversaries bring back many memories. It's difficult on that day when we go around with the memories on our mind but those around us have no idea what's on our mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they have memories of their own on different days not apparent to me.

      Delete
  6. Great pictures, Ed. Thank you for sharing your hike.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a wonderful tradition to honor your mom. I wish I had something like it for my late husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone probably honors their deceased in different ways.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful photos, Ed. Time flies, doesn't it? I was just commenting to someone the other day how much my mother would have loved my grandchildren. For that matter, she never even knew my children since she's been gone almost 50 years. I think your annual hike is a lovely tribute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 50 years is an eternity and a mark I'll most likely never see. Five years seems so far past at times.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful pictures Ed, of a beautiful place. It's a lovely way to remember your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So happy that you have good memories and stories to pass down to your children, even if your Mom is not here, you are and the stories will go on:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My youngest will most likely only remember the stories and pictures as memories at her age when my mom died are few, at least they were for me.

      Delete
  11. Lovelys photographs of these beautiful lands near the river. And this is beautiful old Bridge. Sorry for your mum, she passed away. Now believe she is in Heaven. Have a very nice day with all your lovely family ever.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment