Far Side/Far Guy and the Creepy Santa


Near the top of our Christmas tree this year sits a hand carved wooden cardinal courtesy of Far Side and Far Guy over at Far Side of Fifty blog. They make hand carved ornaments every year and this year (perhaps others too) gave away a few of them based on some Christmas memories of their readers. I wrote in about my Christmas memories of cutting down a red cedar tree and how I always associate the smell of cedar with Christmas and won one of their ornaments. Thank you! I am honored!

Below is a picture of a creepy Santa, or at least that is what we call it. According to family lore, it was given to my mom by her grandma, my great grandmother, and has always been present at our family Christmas seasons, usually standing in a small wooden rocking chair that also was a gift to my mom when she was a toddler. After mom died, I'm not sure what became of the rocking chair but I ended up with the Santa Claus. I'm not sure why it seems creepy as it has a pleasant enough face. Perhaps because it is around 2 feet tall makes it just big enough to have some sort of presence when seen out of the corner of one's eye.

I looked it over for a maker's mark of some sort but didn't find a single thing. I threw it into Google Picture search and can find lots of others but didn't find a manufacturer. Many sites identify it as a 50's vintage Santa and at least one site gave a couple company names that might have made it (followed with a ?) but I couldn't prove it myself and it didn't look quite like the pictures from those manufacturers. Unlike the Santa belonging to Margaret, mine doesn't hold a lighted candle or move. In fact, the boots are cocked such that it can't even stand up or support itself and must be leaned into a corner. It is apparently all for show. 

I didn't inherit the Santa until after Christmas last year so this is the first year that the Santa has been displayed in nearly six years. But I have a feeling it will become a fixture in our house for the foreseeable future, creepy or not.



Comments

  1. Maybe he's considered creepy because his eyes are squinty looking and his hands look like they're ready to go for the invisible 6-shooters in his invisible holster, lol. Dan thinks all dolls are creepy. Your tree topper, on the other hand, is beautiful. Exactly the kind of tree topper I like (except mine is a white dove, symbolic of peace on earth.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is the size more than anything. A foot shorter and it would be way less creepy. Since we don't have the classic dove most often seen in larger cities out in the rural parts, but do have plenty of cardinals, I find it very appropriate for our rustic tree.

      Delete
  2. He's got angry eyebrows, that's why. Honest to pete, why does Santa have angry eyebrows????

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's now creepy, just a bit outdated, and the nostalgia is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how sensibilities change over the time. I suppose 70+ years ago, it was all the rage.

      Delete
  4. Blue eyes just jump out at you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are extremely blue now that you say that.

      Delete
  5. He is kind of creepy. Imagine if you have a floor uplight in front of him in the dark. Ooooooh, creeps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The size really throws me as he is getting to be nearly dwarf sized.

      Delete
  6. I agree with Leigh... Santa looks like he's about to draw his invisible pistols! The Cardinal is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me wonder if they were formed that way for a reason but I haven't seen a picture of any like him that have something in their hands. Reins perhaps?

      Delete
  7. That is a great topper, Ed!

    Truly, every house needs at least one "unusual" Christmas decoration. I am hard at work thinking of what ours is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure most would consider our parol as the weirdest, a star made from bamboo and covered in colored tissue paper. But it is one of those Filipino things that have been adopted from my wife's country.

      Delete
  8. Happy to see you are enjoying the carving! Your Santa is very 50's...vintage for sure. I think it might be the hands...knit him some gloves:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are onto something. A pair of white gloves would make a big difference.

      Delete
  9. It's his creepy hands, shudder! He also has a demonic looking face with those eyebrows mouth. However, he's still unique and a keeper in my opinion! My Santa is more genial and remains upright...for now. I love that beautiful cardinal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is also carrying a lighted candle. You can't be demonic carrying a lighted candle can you?

      Delete
    2. If you are carrying a can if gasoline in the other....

      Delete
  10. That IS a rather creepy Santa. I think it's the beady eyes, and also his bizarre pose! But I'd display him too with that kind of family history. He's a good conversation piece. Love the cardinal ornament!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess he is officially saved for one more generation.

      Delete

Post a Comment