Just When It Counted

 

A.I. generated photo of the USPS losing my mail in the style of Dali

My last grandparent passed away this summer and because she happened to be my maternal grandmother and my mother is also deceased, I received a 25% share of my grandmother's estate. Her estate was almost entirely in an Edward Jones account and her financial adviser is doing a fine job of dividing up the assets between my uncle, brother and I. But it hasn't been without a couple hiccups along the way.

Many of the assets were life insurance policies rolled over under an annuity umbrella. Now that the time has come to collect on these policies, I've been surprised at hour forthright the insurance companies have been in notifying us of policies but how difficult it has been to get an actual check sent. 

Despite a will, executor and the controlling entity of one of the policies, Edward Jones, dictating that the check be made out to the estate and sent to the Edward Jones office dividing up said estate, the insurance agency made the check out to the three beneficiaries directly. We can't cash these checks directly as they are bound in an estate that hasn't been settled yet so the only solution was to endorse the very large checks and mail them back to Edward Jones, in another state. It made me nervous relying on the USPS system to safely deliver these checks but they did.

Another insurance agency dictated that the will, made up 50 years ago, doesn't meet modern standards anymore and so won't divide up the policy as it stated. Unfortunately, the only beneficiary listed was my grandfather who died four years previously. So we are forced to go through probate and give lawyers a large share of the proceeds before we can collect on that.

Finally, yet another insurance agency notified us of an unknown about policy. Both my uncle and brother received letters in the mail with details on how to collect. Several days went by and still my letter did not show up. Finally this past Saturday, my USPS informed delivery service, a free service you can sign up for that sends you an email with a scanned image of every piece you are supposed to be delivered later in the day, showed that I had a letter arriving in that day's mail from the same insurance agency. Not mail was ever delivered. I thought that perhaps they delivery person just ran out of time and it would show up in Monday's mail. It didn't. The service gives you a click box to say you didn't receive the mail but when you expand the details of what that means, it just means you give permission for federal law agencies to use the missing piece of mail in any fraud investigations dealing with mail tampering, i.e. I won't hear anything more from the USPS or government on the subject.

So after months of junk mail I don't want to receive, the USPS has lost the single piece of mail that meant something to me and the likelihood I'll see it is slim to none. I suppose I could start dialing phone numbers leading to robotic voices telling me how much I mean to them before making me wait hours to talk to a human who just reads pre-written script from a computer screen that can't solve my problem. But I'm not going to. In this case, I'm fortunate that the Edward Jones guy has all the information he needs to send in a claim on my behalf, and that of my uncle and brother too, so the letter would have just been added to a folder of evidence I have made on my grandmother's estate should I need to refer to it in the near future. 

Some I talk to lament about how tragic it would be for the USPS just close up shop and become an antiquated story we tell our grandchildren. I am not one of those people.

Comments

  1. What a headache, but you seem to know how to deal with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or at least I know a guy who knows how to deal with it!

      Delete
  2. How frustrating Ed. I am always a bit nervous when I have to send something "important" through the US mail. Depending on what it is, the investment the lower end of a delivery service like Fed Ex is not a bad investment.

    I, too, am not one of those people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I have ever lost anything really important in the mail so they still have a good track record. Probably the closest to important was a check I mailed to someone that never arrived. After a couple weeks, I sent a new check. Two weeks later, the original check arrived.

      Delete
  3. I would say I've had more good experiences than bad when it comes to the USPS. I've learned to utilize Certified Mail (or even Registered) if something is super important, but otherwise most First Class Priority includes a tracking number. I'm sorry you had this bad experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had good experiences for the most part two. I always get a tracking number but in this case, I wasn't the one sending the letter so unless I had noticed that it had been scanned at the local office, I would never have known to miss it.

      Delete
  4. I think we would pay a lot more if we went to a different system. (like other countries where you pay more the farther you send something, even a letter) I used to have a lot more faith in the USPS than I do now though, that's for sure. The estate sounds messy. After 2 1/2 years with an updated will, I'm finally finished with my step-grandma's estate. Whew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sixty some cents seems like the steal of a lifetime to send a letter anywhere in our country. I for one would be willing to pay a lot more than that, especially if it meant better service.

      Well considering we are only a couple months into settling the estate and it is nearly complete, I think it was pretty simple. My mom's took nearly a year to finish. 2 1/2 years seems like an eternity!

      Delete
  5. What a pain in my patootie for you! I have been meaning to set up informed mail for-ev-er. Thank you for setting the wheels in motion. Done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mostly just scan it and delete because I don't have any issues. But this time since I was expecting something and it was late, I double checked. 99% of my mail is campaign flyers these days and go directly to the trash.

      Delete
  6. Sometimes it ends up at a neighbors...hopefully they would deliver it to you if they had it. Rural delivery lacks sometimes. I hope you get it all worked out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it did end up at a neighbors. That has happened with a few packages over the years. But in this case, it has been a week now since it was supposed to be delivered and I haven't seen it. Probably ended up at the landfill.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I think it is just par for the course. One must have a lot of patience in things like this that require multiple people with no interest in the outcome being involved.

      Delete
  8. Oh rats! That is a really, really awful headache! It's scary too about how our own estates are handled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm taking notes so when my time draws nearer, I can hopefully improve things for a smooth transition.

      Delete
  9. That's a terrifying illustration! LOL! I'm not sure even Dali would have laid it on that thick.

    My brother, as executor of my mother's will, has a lot of stories like this. I'm currently awaiting some similarly important mail and will be on tenterhooks until it arrives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I mentioned above, when you are dependent on multiple people with no financial stake in the estate to help it progress, a healthy dose of patience is necessary.

      I was thrilled with the AI outcome to my request! Very seasonal.

      Delete

  10. As my 103 year old friend always says, "This, too, shall pass." You will get a nice check one of these days from your grandmother. Just don't hold your breath waiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, none of us need the money so we aren’t holding breaths. I’m just planning on tithing a nice gift to charity.

      Delete
  11. Yikes. So, wills aren't grandfathered in somehow? I find that odd because everything else usually is. But I don't know much about it. My take is that bureaucracy loves to make things hard for people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My take is that the beneficiaries weren’t updated properly so they just made it harder to do.

      Delete

Post a Comment