100 Years Ago

 


My youngest daughter's teacher started assigning her and one other girl extra projects at school. Since they are both top in their class, she is doing so to challenge them and keep them interested in learning. Her first assignment was to collaborate and do a slide slow presentation on school 100 years ago. When I learned of the assignment, my mind immediately gravitated to this picture which I scanned in a handful of years ago.

My great grandmother is seated in the second row far left (from the camera vantage point and not the front of the room) and the picture is probably 105 years old at that point. So I found it and sent it to my youngest daughter to include in her slide show. It could have been the end but I found myself inspecting it further now that I had it pulled up.

The buttons on the boys clothing appear to be really large compared to modern standards.

All the girls and boys have their collars buttoned all the way up and two of the girls appear to have some sort of bow tie, including my great grandmother. Hair flowers was evidently all the rage at that time too.

I ponder if the picture was taken in April due to the saying written on the back wall underneath Lincoln's portrait.

On the blackboard behind the boys on the farm left is a stanza out of Emily Huntington Miller's "The Bluebirds Song". It reads, 

Sweet little violets, hid from the cold,

Put on your mantles of purple and gold;

Daffodils! Daffodils! say, do you hear?
Summer is coming, and springtime is here!"

This also seems to confirm that spring is in the air when this photo was taken. 

There are two oval portraits hung on the wall to the left of the clock. I ponder who they are? Google's photo search pulls up a lot of similar styled pictures but none of the same lady.

Notice the strips of carpeting laid across the wood plank flooring between the rows of desk, presumably to quite the steps of children?  

Finally, I guess it is just another sign of getting old. When I was younger, I remember many such desks being auctioned off at various estate sales. I can't recall when the last time I have seen a similar desk for sale but it has probably been decades. They are probably hard to find now due to their construction where the seat of the desk in front of you is built into the front of the desk behind you. So in order to actually be functional, one would need two desks, one for the seat and the other for the desk. 

Because I am already here looking at pictures, below is one more for the road. The couple on the left are my great grandparents, the lady being the same as the one in the picture above. The third from the left in the light suit is my great uncle, her eldest son. The fourth is her mother, my great great grandmother. The couple on the right are my maternal grandparents, the one on the far right being the last in this picture to die when she passed away a few months back. Not pictured is most likely my great great grandfather who was probably the one taking the picture. 



Comments

  1. Very interesting pics. I wonder if those bigger buttons on the boys on actually on their outer jackets. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One boy has them on his jacket but the others have them on their shirts.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Or too much time on my hands to ponder such things.

      Delete
  3. The details in old photographs are especially fascinating, aren't they? I wouldn't have noticed the carpet strips if you hadn't pointed them out. Which made me notice what looks like a grate on the wall - for a furnace(?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my guess too. I assume that by the time of the photo, duct work was a thing instead of a pot bellied stove in the center of the room.

      Delete
  4. What a neat photo and I appreciate your insight.

    There is a one room school house about 1/4 mile from my house (I walked by it this morning). It had large north facing windows. A group of people started restoring it a few years ago (it was closed in 1938 and mostly used to store hay until recently). I've seen many such interesting photos that people have collected. Back then, everyone walked to the school, but now there isn't but a handful of kids what live within 2 miles of the school)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Times have certainly changed. I can think of probably a half dozen such school that existed (vacant) in my childhood that have since been torn down. In a nearby town, there exists a wooden two story school in the four-square format that is quite old and I think efforts are being made to preserve it.

      Delete
  5. Funny how one thing can lead to another. You observed carefully and discovered some interesting things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had my daughter not brought the subject up, I'm sure I would have gone the rest of my life without seeing that photo again.

      Delete
  6. I am not sure that buttons were still hand made at that point, but perhaps the larger size simply has to do the with ability to manufacture them.

    I suspect - given the lack of climate control - the closed collars and wrists also helped with heat retention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pondered a bit about buttons and their manufacturability but haven't looked into that aspect yet. Perhaps it had to do more with materials since plastic wasn't a thing back then which may have allowed for smaller buttons?

      Delete
  7. Interesting observation about the buttons. Would they have been making their own buttons? That might account for the size -- if they were whittling them, for example.

    I've never seen desks like that. I've seen seats and tables in a single unit, but never a desk on the back of a seat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I mentioned above, I'm guessing it was more of a material thing. With the advent of plastic, perhaps buttons were able to become a lot smaller? That is my guess anyway.

      They were quite common around here I guess but perhaps because one room school houses were everywhere out here in rural Iowa.

      Delete
  8. Fascinating old photos! My friend was born in 1920 in such a different world, in Ohio. Her mother left the farm (and husband) and moved to Hawaii when she was still a babe. Glad that your daughter has a research project - back to the past. Not many youngsters have an interest or inkling of what life was like before the internet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would expect that was extremely unusual at the time since Hawaii was only a territory at the time and controversially so.

      I don't think she had any curiosity until I mentioned the picture and showed her. But hopefully it did stir up some of it for later in life.

      Delete
  9. Buttoning small buttons with work roughened hands can be difficult; could that be the reason? I love old photos and the past that they capture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do to, especially ones like that with a wider background and plenty of detail to look at.

      Delete
  10. I see hair ribbons tied into bows. I love the shiny buttons on the boys sweater and coats...they were most likely made from shells! I love those old desks. WE bought some at an auction and our girls had fun playing school. That is a wonderful photo. I wonder who the Oval photos were also...I will guess that they are famous women...Betsy Ross and Clara Barton would be my guess:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a couple google searches on the oval photos but came up empty. The problem is that every portrait photo looks almost identical to them. I think it is perhaps a solvable question but would take quite a bit of time to figure out.

      Delete
  11. https://keephomesteadmuseum.org/shell-buttons/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that link because it mentioned a very good point I hadn't considered. Shell buttons manufacturing was a big thing along the Mississippi River. Previously unmentioned but this picture was taken near Clinton, Iowa.... along the Mississippi River!

      Delete
  12. It's so awesome that you have these photos and know who everybody is. I should go through my mom's other albums and find out who everybody is, too. I hate to tell you, but here in Hawaii when I was in grade school, I remember those school desks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they were quite common, especially in certain geographic regions of our country.

      Delete

Post a Comment