Those Rueful Radishes


Well my radish experiment was a bust, I guess. I had an excellent stand of them and they looked so nice and green in my urban garden plot and then we had a week of very hot weather, in October, a time when we aren't supposed to see such weather. That really stressed them out and they began to wilt.

Around the same time, I saw my first deer in the patch and just shooed it off. I didn't see that deer for nearly a week. Looking back, he must have been running all over the county telling all his friends about the excellent salad bar he found growing behind this house near a pond. Soon, I would look out the window and see not one, not two, not three, not four, not five, not six but sometimes up to seven deer browsing hungrily on my radish tops. There was even an eight point buck among them and I rarely see the bucks out in the open. I chased them off but they kept coming back multiple times a day sometimes when I was not around or staring out the window. They made quick work of the patch.

I have a fence that I plan on putting up next spring to prevent this very thing from happening but right now the ground is just so hard, I think I would break the fiberglass poles trying to hammer them in. So I am pretty much resigned to letting the deer have their way for the time being.

Yesterday, my sawdust barrel was full and so I hauled it down to the garden and spread it over all the remains of the radishes to allow it to compost over winter and add organic matter to the soil. I plan to do the same with my fall leaves this year. Evidently the deer didn't appreciate the sawdust sprinkled over their salad bar because they were all there last night eating grass around the edge of the garden but weren't in the garden. 

On a positive note, I keep pulling up a radish now and then to check progress and the last one I pulled up, one whose leaves had been stripped by deer recently, had a taproot going down nearly six inches. The root itself though is probably only the same diameter of the lead in a pencil so it has room to grow, at least the few remaining with leaves do. On another positive note, there is a ton of deer shit in the garden. Evidently radish greens induce bowel movements in deer.

Comments

  1. So, Ed. Where are the deer photos? Huh? 😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about that as I was creating this post. I was too busy scaring them off.

      Delete
  2. I laughed at the thought of the deer out spreading the word. There was a time when I felt sure there was a stray dog grapevine, advertising our place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up on the first gravel crossroads south of town. It was a hot spot for dumped dogs.

      Delete
  3. The rotational grazing guys claim that they are able to move electric fences during the winter when the ground is frozen solid by drilling pilot holes in the ground to install the posts. Hard dry ground should be easier to drill than frozen ground, although it seems wrong somehow to grind a good drill bit into the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being a woodworker primarily, I'm not even sure I have a drill bit big enough anyway. I think they are probably 3/4" rods. The fence does have metal tines and I could probably push those down as they are only 4 inches or so long. But I was really hoping to just do the install right the first time and I've found those fiberglass rods not only allow me to electrify it in the future but help keep it upright in the wind.

      Delete
    2. Deer are more persistent than we are.

      Delete
  4. My guess is that those daikon roots will sprout new leaves if they can. Maybe that fence needs to become a winter project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to remove it in the spring in order to till the ground. It is just a temporary one for a few years until we get things laid out where we want and as big as desired and then I will think about a permanent fence.

      Delete
  5. So, is deer poo a good compost material? Maybe you can plant radishes off to the side for them, so they'll leave your crops alone? Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect any poo is good compost material. Once we get it tilled in the spring and the fence installed, I shouldn't have to worry about deer anymore.

      Delete
  6. I think deer can smell good garden stuff for miles:(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rueful radishes ravished by a gang of deer. Rather cute from my side of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could humor you a bit this morning.

      Delete
  8. Bummer! I wonder if the radishes will grow new tops? If the roots are healthy, might new leaves appear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some of them may but at this point in the year, the growing season is very short and a killing frost could happen at anytime so even if they could regrow their leaves, it will be a moot point as far as why I planted them.

      Delete
  9. Oh, crap! ;) I love radishes so I would be very upset to be robbed of them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow! Deer! That's one thing we don't see on our island, unlike in Illinois.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment