Stretching Boards

 

I drew up the plans for my drawers on a scrap piece of plywood. I usually do that after making the carcasses in case things change as far as size goes. By doing it this way, I can measure between the installed drawer slides and get an exact measurement for width as well as depth and height. I laid out my joinery and necessary dimensions for cutting all the various parts out. 

Before I started cutting, I reviewed all those dimensions and found one that I distinctly remember being off by a half inch. I corrected it and was thankful for having caught the mistake ahead of time before I wasted all that plywood, in this case a full sheet and part of another.

I cut out all the pieces and did the joinery on those that required it and did a dry assemble to verify fit before I proceeded to the glue stage of assembly. My drawer bottom panels were short, by half an inch. I went over to my scrap piece of plywood and sure enough, the dimension I corrected was the one that was a half an inch too short. It had evidently been right the first time. I needed to stretch my boards by a half an inch, something every woodworker dreams about doing easily but can't. 

I briefly thought about going to buy another two sheets of plywood but quickly nicked that idea. I still had scraps of plywood leftover after cutting out all the parts. Unfortunately, the grain direction isn't correct to match to the drawer bottoms but I reminded myself that this is show furniture and a drawer bottom, where nobody but myself will likely ever see. So I cut some more pieces of plywood and doweled them to my too short pieces to lengthen them. I actually added two inches to the length because it is much easier to work with when adding dowels and glue. I will later cut them down to their correct size this time around. 

The biggest issue with all this is the day of time it cost me. I had to use long clamps and didn't have enough to do 18 panel glue ups at once so it took me the better part of a day to get them all glued up. Next I have to sand off the excess glue and pencil parks before I can cut them to final size and do one last dry assembly which will cost me another partial day. 

Fortunately my labor is free for home projects so it won't add up on the final bill. 

Comments

  1. For some of us, time is not money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The economist inside me says time is always money. Time can always be spent earning or saving money instead of doing other things. More accurately to your situation, the money you might save or earn for your time isn't worth it for you. I respect that. I value my labor pretty cheaply these days too but if I were to ever do this for money, I would have to value my labor more.

      Delete
  2. I don't guess I knew boards could be stretched. The only stretchers around here are for needlework and animal pelts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can't. It might be an inside joke to those of us who work with wood. If someone could invent a board stretcher, they would be worth billions.

      Delete
  3. Oh my, your clamps are gnormous! Your family is so blessed to have a super carpenter and fixall man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One can never have too many clamps in a variety of sizes!

      Delete
  4. That's a bummer! I wonder why you remembered the measurement being off by half an inch? Were you thinking of a different board? Or did you correct it the first time and forget?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could still see the eraser marks where I had "corrected" the exact dimension that was off by the amount I corrected it. I just got off somewhere along the line when I was verifying everything. Either it was mental or I fat fingered it into my calculator. Either way, it is fixed now and things are back on track.

      Delete
    2. I admire the skills you have and your precise work.

      Delete
    3. Precise except for the parts I messed up on.

      Delete
  5. Glad it could get fixed. My late husband went nuts when he cut anything too short. He was usually working with very expensive stair parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, a mis-cut stair tread is a start over kind of part. Can't hide those except with perhaps carpet.

      Delete
  6. A good carpenter still makes mistakes. A skilled carpenter knows how to cover them up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Measure once, cut twice:) Or recut as the case may be. Drawers are not easy to make, we made all of ours...we were younger then:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made several kitchen's worth of cabinets. I'm not sure I've done everything perfect yet. But I might still do it again as long as I'm physical able the next time I am called to do so.

      Delete

Post a Comment