Saying Goodbye

 


My grandmother's final wishes were to be cremated and put in the side by side urn with my grandfather's cremains. Also part of her wishes were to have a bit of my mom's ashes added to both hers and my grandfathers ashes. The funeral home was able to comply and this past weekend, we met to complete the last step of a simple ceremony followed by the cremains being buried in a plot next to my grandfather's parents, the same ones whose names are now honored in my daughter's middle names. 

The ceremony was definitely simple and short. My daughter kicked it off with Amazing Grace played on her violin, a few scriptures were said and my daughter finished with Jupiter on the violin. After that, we walked around the cemetery where I pointed out three generations of graves beyond my grandmothers. Later we met up at a restaurant for lunch and conversation before making our way home.

I met some distant cousins whom I hadn't seen since I was probably less than a teenager and was able to fill them in somewhat on their ancestry. Other than my grandmother parents, none of the other graves I pointed out were known by any other attendees. A great granddaughter of my great aunt (not sure what the correct relationship is to me), seemed pretty interested in genealogy and so I have started sending her information via email to pass the torch so to speak.

Overall, it was a bittersweet day for me but I think perfect ceremony.

Comments

  1. Blessings. It was good that you could involve your daughter and also catch up with long lost cousins. Jeff https://fromarockyhillside.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite surprise that she did play the violin. We have asked her before but she has refused to play in front of other "strangers".

      Delete
  2. It does sound like the perfect ceremony Ed. Really it is for us, not them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is about us for the most part. But it is also about honoring their last wishes as well. Sometimes those contradict each other but in this case, they were both in harmony.

      Delete
  3. Jupiter? The only one I can think of is from Holst's "Planets".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the one. It is one of my favorites too.

      Delete
  4. It does sound very personal and special. How lovely that your daughters played on their violins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The oldest plays both the violin and piano. Thus far, the youngest only plays the piano.

      Delete
  5. bittersweet is a good term to use. I'm sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like an uplifting ceremony for a sad time. So special for your daughter to play! I hope it encourages her to play more often for folks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to google "Jupiter" with violin. Dynamite song! Congratulations on a fine service.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds to me like a touching little ceremony.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sure your grandmother would be glad to know that her ceremony served as the catalyst for helping other family members learn about earlier generations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've helped a lot of descendants from that branch of my family tree over the years. I guess because it has several mysteries along it which is why people search for answers.

      Delete
  10. It is still hard, but so good that their final wishes were followed. My sympathy to you:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My grandmother lived a good life and I'm guessing few can say they got to spend 50 years with them.

      Delete
  11. Will add my agreement this was a perfect ceremony, and the part including your daughter is especially sweet. I played piano while growing up and had a significant fear of playing in front of people. Eventually I outgrew it and, even though I am far from a master of the keyboard, today I enjoy playing for the occasional home audience and I am so thankful for all those lessons. I have a feeling your daughter will feel the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are certainly a man of many talents Bob. I learned that you were a journalism major and now a pianist all in a single day.

      Delete

Post a Comment