Of Bucks and Radishes


This rather poor excuse for a photo is for AnvilCloud who suggested I take a picture of deer in the remains of my radish patch rather than shoo them away immediately. As the saying goes, the best camera is the one you have on you when needed and so while eating dinner in the low light of dusk, my phone camera in my pocket fit the bill. While it can take beautiful pictures, at dusk and of a moving target is not an area where it excels. 

Until the radish patch planting, the deer mostly stayed down at the base of the hill up next to the trees as this sizable buck is doing. At this time of year, they mostly stay within the trees, but I think they have gotten careless during their dining sessions in my radish patch. The neighbor across the road, barely visible through the gaps in the trees above the buck's hindquarters shoots deer but he died earlier this year. However, the neighbor who lives just a couple hundred yards in the direction this buck is hunting, also shoots deer and is still very much alive. In fact, some of the early bow seasons are already open. 

If my neighbor does happen to shoot this one, I'll have to ask if they noticed a radish flavor to the meat this year.

I haven't pulled a radish in a couple weeks because I've been so disgusted at the damage the deer pulled off. As I write this, a hard freeze is forecasted in a few days and as you read it, the hard freeze has already occurred signaling the end of the growth of what remains of the radishes. I might go pull one just to see how big they never got. 

It does free up some options though. Since there isn't much of a radish crop, I may mulch up a lot of leaves and work them into the soil yet this fall just to anchor them in place. Otherwise, they would probably end up in the trees where they don't do me a lot of good. Hopefully that will add enough organics to create a bountiful crop in the garden next year when I get the fence installed to prevent deer damage. 

Comments

  1. Phones are slow to shoot, but this photo will do nicely. We have snow on the ground this morning (Monday).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have snow in the northern part of our state and there were rumors yesterday that we might get the dreaded snow/rain combo but it passed by and I saw nary a flake... this time.

      Delete
  2. He just wants to go to the salad bar :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Radish greens are very tasty on my salads!

      Delete
  3. I love radishes but don't like venison. Even radish flavored venison. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly we just had our deer ground up into burger and used up in recipes that called for hamburger but weren't just burgers, like say tacos or lasagna. We wouldn't tell people of what they were eating and nobody was every the wiser. But when eaten straight, like grilled tenderloins, it definitely has a different flavor that I can see not everyone might appreciate.

      Delete
  4. It is still hot here in Hawaii - and rather dry. I don't worry about deer eating my vegetables. We have slugs and African snails. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I should consider myself lucky. We don't have slugs or snails and the hard freeze of this past weekend killed any other insects that might be a pest until springtime.

      Delete
  5. Looks like a deer on a mission. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm assuming he was chasing a doe that I missed seeing or heading for a drink at my neighbor's pond before settling down for the night.

      Delete
  6. Looks like a nice sized deer. Must be all those radish greens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a very nice sized deer and although I couldn't get a picture, had probably a ten point rack on him. I briefed my neighbor on his presence so perhaps his days might be numbered.

      Delete
  7. Are those big antlers on that buck? I don't think I've ever had venison. I wonder if it tastes like chicken. Just kidding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are antlers and with our species of deer, only the males grow antlers.

      Delete
    2. It doesn't taste like chicken. We grind up most of ours and it is hard to distinguish from beef hamburger when cooked in a recipe, i.e. not eaten plain. It does have a different taste than beef when eaten plain, and that taste can vary a lot due to age and sex. A young doe doesn't have a lot of that flavor compared to an older buck.

      Delete
  8. Oh what Tim would give to see a deer like that....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice looking deer (but would probably be tough). They have yet to get into my garden, but I often see them in my hay mulching... but now hunting season has started, I haven't seen many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I much prefer a young doe to an old buck for eating.

      Delete
  10. We co-exist with deer nicely here, although I don't have a garden. It's the squirrels that drive me bonkers, and we have spent thousands in prevention and repair costs over the years. And I cannot get rid of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Squirrels give me some grief too. They have stolen our apple crop the last two years.

      Delete

Post a Comment